Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to pony up and buy a new welder. The old SP175+ isn't getting it done anymore. I can get either one for the same price - about $1700 brand new. I haven't welded with either one and probably won't have an opportunity to unless I ask to get one of each for a demo and decide myself and send one back. Not a good idea if I want to keep good peace with my contacts that are hooking me up with the sweet deal.

I'm welding 1/4" - 5/16" steel most of the time. Little chance of doing aluminum, but who knows what the future holds.

Millermatic
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_252/

Power MIG
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=19154

Miller's competitive comparison
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/comparisons/millermatic_252.html

Lincoln's competitive comparison
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/mc04223.pdf

They both have the same rated output, duty cycle, and similar features. If you read the comparisons, the points each manufacturer makes are really meaningless for what I'll use it for. I know they are both great machines and both will perform well. I just wonder if anybody has used both and prefers one or the other for any reason?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm real happy with my 255C. I have the timer panel and it's a joy to use. Had a warranty issue and Lincoln stepped up without any drama.

Would do exactly the same thing if I had to do it over again.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend the Thermal Arc line of welders. They are a little bit cheaper than the Lincolns or the Millers, but certainly not any lower quality. We have run a couple hundred pounds of wire through our Fabricator 251 and not had a single issue. They have the same parent company as Tweco, so they have genuine Tweco consumables in all their machines. We have also just picked up their 185 amp Tig, but have not had too much of a chance to use it yet.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure Thermal Arc makes a nice machine, as well as Esab, Hobart, Fronius, and others. However I'm limited to Miller and Lincoln on this purchase unless I want to pay a lot more money for them. But good contribution to the tread for anybody else.:D

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
I purchased the miller 252. I love it but I don't do production welding and nor have I ever used the 255c. Just happens the local welding shops deal more with miller.

Little pet peeves of mine so far.
Knobs are plastic. almost like cheap plastic compared to my lincoln tig welder.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You can find what you are looking for on Craigslist.org for 1G if you have the time to wait. Not even close to answering your question but there are some good deals out there from people that thought that they needed something.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can find what you are looking for on Craigslist.org for 1G if you have the time to wait. Not even close to answering your question but there are some good deals out there from people that thought that they needed something.
Unless you're extremely lucky and find a good deal near you, I don't see that happening. I've been watching Ebay, Craig's list, and a few other websites for years now. Any time a 200+ amp MIG welder shows up for sale, it usually fetches almost as much as a new one and goes fast if it has a reasonable buy it now. Doesn't help that they are all 200+ pounds so expesnive to ship. But I will agree that every now and then people get lucky.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I have a PM 255 and it seems to weld better than the Millers that I have used recently, but they are somewhat older units , so its not a great comparison. At one time I looked into a spool gun and nearly fainted. They were way cheaper for Millers if I remember correctly. Other than the spool gun issue I am very happy with it. I found it cheapest at TIP In Ohio when I got mine around 5 or 6 years ago

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
We were looking at getting some new welders for work a little while back. Our dealer deals in Miller and Lincoln.

If my memory serves, he said that when a Miller comes in for warranty work they fix it. Done. When a Lincoln comes in they fix it and then have to send the part to Lincoln for them to determine if it is warrantied or not.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm sure Thermal Arc makes a nice machine, as well as Esab, Hobart, Fronius, and others. However I'm limited to Miller and Lincoln on this purchase unless I want to pay a lot more money for them. But good contribution to the tread for anybody else.:D
The EASB 250 is 1767.00 delivered and without tax to anyone on ebay so you don't have to make any sort of "deal" with anyone. Just a thought as both of the machines you've picked out are just fine it's just that the price is not that special.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheapest you'll find a Miller or Lincoln 250 is normally $1900 on Ebay. So although $1700 isn't a super special deal, its cheaper than you can normally get them for. I've looked hard and never seen a new unit go for less than that.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Cheapest you'll find a Miller or Lincoln 250 is normally $1900 on Ebay. So although $1700 isn't a super special deal, its cheaper than you can normally get them for. I've looked hard and never seen a new unit go for less than that.
I was lucky to get my 252 brand new out the door for 2100 with 6'x6' medium duty welding blanket, wire, and mig pliers. The shop was willing to match the cyberweld price.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ive used both and liked both but the miller seems to be a bit more reliable and like it was said in a earlier post they fix it without worries

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I've put 100lbs+ through my powermig 255 in the last couple years... I use the timer rarely but it is nifty feature.

I haven't had to adjust the drive-roll mechanism ONCE the entire time, I've replaced the liner once and other htan that it's been perfecto.

My vote is for the lincoln it's always worked!

·
Registered
155 Posts
the mail difference i have found between miller and lincoln, is that miller seems to have more innovation in thier machines. a year later lincoln has it as well. like the square wave tig machines. i think miller was the first one to have small 110 volt migs with the modified waveform to use straight co2 instead of c25 gas.
my personal preference between the two is miller. thermal dynamics makes good machines as well, and i wouldn't hesitate to buy one of thier machines ethier.
Doug

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I'm a Lincoln fan, but have used both and like both very much. I don't think you'll regret buying either, and I don't think either will let you down. I ran 100+lbs through my 110v Lincoln, before upgrading to a 220v machine, put about 150lbs through my current machine, but it's time for an upgrade (nothing wrong with the machine, just need more juice) so I'll be picking up a PM255.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts