Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I've been lurking for a while and decided to take the plunge and talk to ya! :)

I've got a stock 74 drum front axle on my FJ40 running 35's

I was going to do the mini pickup knuckle/brakes swap but....
I might have a line on a complete FJ40 disc front end. Don't know year :(

I'm going to assume it needs rotors/calipers....

which would be the better way to go?
I plan on rebuilding it either way (knuckle bearing replace/repack etc.)

I've heard mini knuckle brakes might be stronger than cruiser if I use later V6 calipers/vented rotors?

Also heard FJ60 rotors/calipers are better

any opinions on which way I should go????

Should I post on the mini site with these questions also?

looking forward to the multitude of opinions I'm sure to find!!!!

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Cruiser DB stuff fits perfectly on the mini knuckles.
The mini stuff is not vented. so if you can use the cruiser disks with either cruiser calipers or the Pickup IFS (slightly larger) calipers you would be cool.

Personally, I would get the mini stuff and upgrade it to the vented disks and calipers later.

It is not V6 parts, they are IFS parts.
The cruiser rotors and calipers are almost exactly the same. The only benefit to the mini knuckles is the larger steering arm pattern. So your high steer or whatever type of steering arm won't fit..

SO or Su???

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
cruiserman said:
Mini knuckles, birfields, and hubs with fj60 rotors, V6 mini calipers, and V6 mini master.

that the exact set up I run on the fj45, with a 74 fj40 booster, works well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SU....and more questions

Jason M said:
Cruiser DB stuff fits perfectly on the mini knuckles.
The mini stuff is not vented. so if you can use the cruiser disks with either cruiser calipers or the Pickup IFS (slightly larger) calipers you would be cool.

Personally, I would get the mini stuff and upgrade it to the vented disks and calipers later.

It is not V6 parts, they are IFS parts.
The cruiser rotors and calipers are almost exactly the same. The only benefit to the mini knuckles is the larger steering arm pattern. So your high steer or whatever type of steering arm won't fit..

SO or Su???
SU , I have PE 4" springs and currently stock greaseable shackles. Also running stock center arm (rebuilt) with a mini PS conversion

Thanks everyone for the info!
Question: I heard the birfs from DB FJ40's were the same as mini? Or was that only the late models (79 and later?)

If only the late models, longfields WON'T fit into pre 79 knuckles? that would sound like a convincing argument against 76-78 DB axles....

If I go with the mini conversion, what axle do I want to look for? (to pull knuckles and axles out of)

Thanks again for the great info!!!!!

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
i did it with an early 80's axel

you have to grind on the inner knuckle ball to get the mini birfs to fit.

it is just what you have to do

no big deal

·
Registered
426 Posts
The '76 through '78 FJ Birfields are smaller than the mini-truck/later FJ Birfields.

As for the mini axles:

- '79 and '80 mini - use '76 through '78 FJ vented rotors and calipers

- '81 through '85 - use '79 and later FJ vented rotors and '86 and up IFS mini calipers (I've read that later V6 calipers will work and have larger pistons)

- '84 and '85 mini tie rods are beefier than '79 through '83 mini tie rods (not an issue if you use FJ tie rod)

- '84 and '85 mini axle housings are reinforced (not an issue)

John

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
the V6 IFS calipers are 40mm all the way round, versus the 4 banger calipers at like 32-34 mm or something. this setup works great, especially with rear discs as well, i go like a turtle and stop like a rabbit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts