Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched but really didnt come up with any reviews.

i have a set of fullsize 8.5 10 bolts under a gutted s10 running 33inch all terrains and the stock 4.3 engine. ive been planning on welding the rear end but now im thinking about mini spooling it just incase i want to go back to open i aint jacking up the carrier.

any one run a mini spool on a set up like this or with bigger tires how'd it hold up?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
weld it and goto a local yard and grab some spare spiders if you dont like it, i ran a mini spool in a 9" and stripped it out in a week on the street with 30's. welded all the rest and never had a problem

·
Registered
98 Posts
You don't need to wreck your carrier. Weld the spider gears together, not the gears to your carrier. :p

edit: and you can probably get a new set of spider gears from a junkyard for $20.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't need to wreck your carrier. Weld the spider gears together, not the gears to your carrier. :p

edit: and you can probably get a new set of spider gears from a junkyard for $20.
are all spider gears the same even with different gear ratios?

another reason i dont want to weld it is my welder sucks. so im either gonna have to pay someone to do it or lug it a few towns away to a friends house... i hate decisions

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yes, typically the only difference is in LS carriers, the side gears at least. I'm not familiar with that axle, but mini spools on c-slip axles are generally a no-no because they aren't 1 piece.
If you do weld it, I'd weld the gears to the carrier, takes a bunch of load off the cross pin.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I ran a minispool in a 9" with 35's for 3 years and never had a single issue with it. Now, a 9" has a steel carrier while a 10 bolt has a cast carrier which I could see possibly being a liability.

Justin

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts

another reason i dont want to weld it is my welder sucks. so im either gonna have to pay someone to do it or lug it a few towns away to a friends house... i hate decisions
if you ever come towards michigan city, bring the carrier and i'll weld up them spiders for yah.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Although not exactly 'wheelin, I run a mini-spool in a drag car that weighs 4,300# with me in it. Run's low 11's on 28x10.5 slicks with a 550 '/# tq 440 and it is still dandy. I would not be afraid of a mini-spool if you do not have easy access to a welder.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you ever come towards michigan city, bring the carrier and i'll weld up them spiders for yah.
thanks for the offer :). i also really dont want to pull the carrier. if i was going to go that route id probably just run a full spool

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
thanks for the offer :). i also really dont want to pull the carrier. if i was going to go that route id probably just run a full spool
cool, let me know if your out this direction with the truck, ill melt them bastards together no prob.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
you got my PM.

for the record, mine was in an 8.5 corp 10bolt 30 spline with 37s. no issues with some smart wheelin (just no bouncing at full throttle)

I also ran one in the 9" I had and broke that one bouncing it too much :grinpimp: went to a full spool and never looked back.

I'm gonna try a mini-spool in my 14bolt and see what happens. it's pretty dang beefy though.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you got my PM.

for the record, mine was in an 8.5 corp 10bolt 30 spline with 37s. no issues with some smart wheelin (just no bouncing at full throttle)

I also ran one in the 9" I had and broke that one bouncing it too much :grinpimp: went to a full spool and never looked back.

I'm gonna try a mini-spool in my 14bolt and see what happens. it's pretty dang beefy though.
i got the 28 spline but im still only running crappy 33 inch tires. a performance store in town carries them for about the same price i can find on ebay so ill pick one up next week when i have money and if my truck survives wheeling tomorrow

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
good luck (and easy on that 28 spline ;) )

have fun :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts