Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well? How little body lift can I get away with to fit a 350 in an 89-94 body style truck?

Chevy 350/TH350 if it matters...

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
roger brown sells some beef body lift pucks. dont quote me but he has traded me items ive bought off him that i ended up not using for things i ended up needed later on. ill bet hed supply you with 3" and 2" pucks, you return the ones you dont use....

mount the 3"ers then you can slip them out and pop in the 2"ers if you see room?? regardless, get his pucks, youve seen the stupid crap thats happened to my truck and his pucks dont squeak, rattle or fart a bit..........:D

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Booger, that ain't a bad idea... 'cept I may just make some wood spacers 2" and 3" thick so I can test it myself without having to get Roger involved. Sweet idea, since I know it will fit with a 3", I can see how low I can drop it and see if Roger will make some exactly what I need.... hmmm.... :)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet... It would just be a cab - no bed - so it would be pointless to buy an off-the-shelf kit anyway...

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
is the body lift to fit the engine under the hood , if that is the case why not cut the hood and instal some sort of hood scoop to allow the engine compartment some better ventilation .

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Other than the heater tube issues with the distributor you can fit a SBC/TH350 in with no body lift at all. Mine has a stock cast iron 4BBL intake and air cleaner housing and there was plenty of room under the hood even before I installed the 3" body lift.
I'd have trouble going back now that I have a 3" lift. I ended up getting a rather tallish Ford top/bottom tank radiator. The cap just clears the hood and the bottom tank is right behind the frame cross member.

Here's how it looked w/no body lift

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used a two inch lift with a 350 and NV4500 without much difficulty. As I recall some auto trannies have ears that make the lift critical. The AA book has all that info. Less lift is definitely possible. The other thing that helps is using a mini starter. I actually had the least amount of space on the drivers side (clutch mechanism) rather than the passenger side. Used Sanderson block hugger headers, 2.5 inch exhaust to a y pipe under the drivers feet, then a single 3 inch out. The passenger exhaust crosses over between the oil pan and the front of the tranny.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the replies... just thinkin' again :)

·
Registered
34,219 Posts
DRM said:
Well? How little body lift can I get away with to fit a 350 in an 89-94 body style truck?

Chevy 350/TH350 if it matters...
Body lift? David... I thought you owned a Sawsall! :flipoff2: :D

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shaker said:
you can use no body lift if desired but I change the dist. to the Malloy Unilite ignition to clear the firewall. It would be best to have at least a 2 in. BL to give you room for body/frame flex.....
So 2" sounds about like the normal minimum to go with... I guess I can swing that.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Minimum Body lift to fit 350 in an 89-94 Toy?

rockota said:

Body lift? David... I thought you owned a Sawsall! :flipoff2: :D
I wouldn't want to hack...

·
Registered
34,219 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Minimum Body lift to fit 350 in an 89-94 Toy?

DRM said:

I wouldn't want to hack...
Well, if you are taking your time, you could just re-form your firewall around the engine... Might have to move the heater vents, but ?????

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: Re: Re: Minimum Body lift to fit 350 in an 89-94 Toy?

rockota said:

Well, if you are taking your time, you could just re-form your firewall around the engine... Might have to move the heater vents, but ?????
The extra lift is probably gonna be necessary for the tires anyway... I just did not want to do more lift than necessary...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts