Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the minimum vehicle requirements in order to have a good time on the Con? My TJ wouldn't be too well suited for the entire family and camping, so am of building something more mild for the family to enjoy a place like this, or Moab. Wondering is something like an XJ/ZJ/4 runner (obviously SAS if needed) locked on 35-37's or so could have a good time on the Con?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rubicon gets a lot of hype but its a fairly easy trail with bypasses for the harder lines. A rear locker ,33s, and a half skilled driver can get you through without much of a hiccup. However if you want to try the harder lines such as soup bowl lockers,sliders,35s, and gearing helps. But you dont need a rock slayer to run the trail. I see stock jeeps and bigger tired tacomas up there all the time doing just fine. I would just go with what total newb said.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Rubicon gets a lot of hype but its a fairly easy trail with bypasses for the harder lines. A rear locker ,33s, and a half skilled driver can get you through without much of a hiccup. However if you want to try the harder lines such as soup bowl lockers,sliders,35s, and gearing helps. But you dont need a rock slayer to run the trail. I see stock jeeps and bigger tired tacomas up there all the time doing just fine. I would just go with what total newb said.

And being totally honest,,, ^^^ this

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
And being totally honest,,, ^^^ this
Agree, 33's and rock sliders will take you through the trail, adding in 1 locker makes it a little less stressful.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, I have a TJ on tons and 40’s, but it’s not the best thing for 3 of us to load up in for a couple days on the Con. Looking to toss something together something we can use there that is more comfortable for all of us, yet capable enough to have a good time. Thinking an XJ on 35-37’s, or maybe a 4 runner along the same lines. Nothing crazy, but reliable and capable to make the 3000+ mile round trip worth it lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did the trail last year in my mostly stock CJ5 with open differentials. It was stressful and I dinged the body in a couple places, but otherwise made it out to the tahoe side in 2 days. This year I added a rear detroit, LSD in the front, and a lot more gearing and anticipate the trail will be a cakewalk compared to previously. I think the trail is more fun if you aren’t too overbuilt.

·
Ford Bigot
4,109 Posts
What would be the minimum vehicle requirements in order to have a good time on the Con? My TJ wouldn't be too well suited for the entire family and camping, so am of building something more mild for the family to enjoy a place like this, or Moab. Wondering is something like an XJ/ZJ/4 runner (obviously SAS if needed) locked on 35-37's or so could have a good time on the Con?

If you bring a ZJ or XJ - please reinforce the front steering box area - and bring 4-12 extra 7/16-14 x 4" bolts.

I don't want to have to winch you out of the way.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Like everyone has said, it's not that hard of a trail if you are just trying to get through. 35s on a rig you're describing would be plenty.

The kicker is that it's a long as trail and is "uphill both ways" if you break in the middle. It's not a big deal to limp out with 3wd or even 2wd, but loose something like steering and its going to be a long time getting out.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If you bring a ZJ or XJ - please reinforce the front steering box area - and bring 4-12 extra 7/16-14 x 4" bolts.

I don't want to have to winch you out of the way.
Like everyone has said, it's not that hard of a trail if you are just trying to get through. 35s on a rig you're describing would be plenty.

The kicker is that it's a long as trail and is "uphill both ways" if you break in the middle. It's not a big deal to limp out with 3wd or even 2wd, but loose something like steering and its going to be a long time getting out.

Losing steering sucks. Losing steering on an XJ sucks even more if the “frame” is cracked all around the steering box. We had an XJ lose it’s steering box bolts at Little Sluice. Didn’t know the trail well enough to turn him around and head it out Loon. Stupidly ran him out through Tahoma so he’d be able to stay with the group. It sucked but it’s a fun story 5+ years later

·
Registered
387 Posts
IMO - it's really as much of a durability sort of test as it is a capability. If there's a weak link - you'll find it.

So - mostly I'd say focus on having good skid plates for the soft bits. Make sure all the mechanical stuff is in good condition. And bring spares for the parts you think you might break.

Also size matters. It can be tight, so the longer and wider you are - the bigger tires you'll want. I don't think you could get a stock Raptor through without heavy carnage. I'm not sure anyone has tried yet. I haven't done it, but would think a stock wrangler Rubicon would cruise through on 32" tires without too much effort.

I've only been through twice in my '15 4Runner. With 33" tires and about a 1.5" lift it was a rough ride that required probably half a dozen or more short winch pulls. The next year with 34" tires and more like 2.5" lift height - it went pretty easy. For a family - I'd say 34" tires plus a winch and rear locker would be a really good place to start if you're going with an IFS Toyota or similar type wagon with a longer wheel base and a relatively low belly to start with. Just for comfort reasons more than for the sheer ability to do it.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
My goal was to build my FSB to be capable of a drive out to the Rubicon from Michigan, complete the trail, and drive home.
My build idea was solidified (pun intended) by all y'alls comments.

SAS with a lock rite (SAS gave me ~4"lift on my F-150)
E-locker out back
Gears
~35's (something AT or Dura Trac ish)
Winch
Sliders
Bumpers

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Don't overthink it.

Wheeled the Con on 33s in a CJ5.
Wheeled the Con on 35s in a CJ5.
Wheeled the Con on 37s in a YJ
Wheeled the Con on 40s in a TJ.

All you need is a little common sense. And either lockers, limited slips, or a winch. Bring a buddy who's been there before, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
1 locker and 35's will make the trail fairly easy even in a full size. Just be courteous door the people that want to pass. I have been stuck behind plenty of assholes that get stuck or broke in the middle of the trail and think that they have to fix it right there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts