Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Saginaw PS units are more readily available in the US, alternative boxes aren't that necessary, but for those who want options, here's one:

1984 - 1989 Toyota Cressida power steering box and pump. This is tricky without photos but the photos on LRE where I have posted this previously are now red crosses.

So:

1) Remove Series steering gear box.

2) Using a small u-joint assembly of your choice or one of the fancy units from Flaming River if your wallet runs in that direction, mate the upper column to the lower relay column. The lower column now runs along and just outside the chassis rail and the u-joint is located where the Series box was.

3) Toyota box mounts inside the dumbiron in front of the grill (again hard to explain without pictures but here's a fairly cryptic one in which you can see the box located at the right side of the winch recess just behind the D ring)

4) A pretty standard drop arm from the bottom of the box to the drag link has to be fabricated or modified but not a big deal.

5) The Toyota pump needs a bracket fabricated to situate it on the left side of the engine (when looking into the engine bay) such that it can be run off the fan with a dual groove military pully.

6) Hydraulic hoses run across the engine bay and down to the box through the grill. Not pretty, but functional.

That's it. Low tech and I believe in the US these Cressida pumps (must have been used on other models as well) are cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Out here many power steering conversions are done that way using toyota van boxes, probably the same as the one shown. IMO it takes some head scratching to get right, but that is another option i was considering if the first one fails! So my first attempt is going be with Ram and valve unit, components are out of a 1970's ford mustang. I have all the bits except the plumbing which must be fitted as i go along.

The ram replaces the steering damper, no problem there but the valve is a tight squeeze and i must fabricate a custom drag link to adapt from the Ford valve to the rover rod, incorporating the mount for the ram. I have to ream the arm of the relay to accept the ford taper of the valve and also route the pipework. I know that the ram will be in a pretty vulnerable position but i should sort that with a hefty skid plate between the springs.

Sorry no pics as yet but the project is still on the workbench waiting for me to find the time to start the fabrication bit. All i did was mock up the bits to see if it all fits. It should work hopefully! If it fails or is unreliable then no major components in the vehicle would have changed and it would be a simple bolt off and bolt on the old bits, and back to manual steer! Then i will try the toyota route.

Any one else went with the ram and valve PS?

Grem

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I believe similar conversions have been done using toyota 4x4 boxes as well, not sure which though, hilux/minitruck? land-cruiser?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I did a simillar set-up on my truck but used a FJ-60 box and tucked it away on the framerail where you can't see it. Shafts and U-joints are from Borgeson. With the Benz engine I ran the Benz p.s. pump and made hoses up to go between.

Here's a little write-up about it.

Toyota power steering

jim

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never seen a Saginaw box so I have no idea. I am given to understand that the Cresida unit is the same as that used on some mini-trucks and or vans but that the mounting plate for the Cresida unit was an easier adaptaion - none of which I can substantiate having only ever seen the Cresida unit. It's definitely a pretty buff item for what was a mid-upper segement saloon car and in 89 they moved to rack and pinion so there may be truth to the unit being more broadly used.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ISUZUROVER said:
I believe similar conversions have been done using toyota 4x4 boxes as well, not sure which though, hilux/minitruck? land-cruiser?
I have a Land Cruiser 60 series box on my stage 1 that mounts to the outside of the chassis rails.

The older minitruck boxes wernt known to be overly strong AFAIK. Most use the newer IFS box.

Dave :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts