Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, fresh on the forum from Southeast Georgia/Northeast Florida line area. Just starting out in the 4x4 world, and wanting to join in on the fun. Kind of jealous of all my friends being able to go off roading anytime they want. Kinda hard to off road when you have a lowered pickup truck. It's a 2.2 4cyl, auto, one-legger rear single cab short bed that has definitely been around the block once or twice. Dang near 300k miles on the chassis, bout 70k on the motor. I'm gonna work with what I have and attempt to convert it to 4WD. Any and all advice y'all can throw me will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
find a wrecked 4x4 with a 4.3l and swap the body over
or
early bronco D44 9inch,leafs in the rear and radius arms in the front

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I would sell your truck and buy a 4x4 truck. That is a lot of work for someone that is just getting into 4x4s.
Not just a lot of work. Depending on how it's lowered the cost could be significantly higher. Frame notched? Body drop? Bags?

With a solid stock base, you're looking at minimum: Front suspension, rear suspension, transmission, transfer case, front diff/axle, rear axle, wheels/tires, steering, engine... basically a whole truck!

I understand working with what you have, but sometimes what you have just isn't the right thing to work with.

Sell or trade it for a better starting platform. You'll get more out of it as a lowered truck than you will as a half-done "WTF DID I DO?" abandoned project.

OR Do like I did, find another truck, have one lowered and one lifted!

2 trucks means you can always go get parts for the other!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would also suggest selling the truck and buying a 4x4.

It always looks simple. All you gotta do is slap an axle and a transfer case under the truck and you'll be slinging mud in no time…..not! Even if you swap bodies, its a lot more work than it looks and it ends up costing more to do the swap than the value of a truck already equipped with 4wd.

Don't believe it? Start pricing out parts… Look for donor chassis too….then add in the fact that those used parts you buy will probably need to be either rebuilt, and or refreshed. Things like regearing axles, rebuilding or upgrading brakes, fabricating suspension components, building shift linkages, cutting and welding, buying tires and rims and a ton more things I could mention…..All that stuff costs time and money (You can easily spend hundreds, if not thousands of $$$) and in the end, you'll likely spend more than if you just sold the truck, and used the money towards a 4x4

Ed

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
i bought my crappy 93 s10 4x4 for $350 about 10 years ago. glad i went with a 4x4. i also had a 95 sonoma 2wd at that time and was tempted to hack it up but figured s10s are so cheap and everywhere so i went with a different one. glad i did

1 - 7 of 7 Posts