Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Here in NC, it's tied to your license.

You'll get asked about it and if you have a gun.

Way better to tell them right from the get go, before they run your license # and then get freaked out

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
But it is still a life (and death) lesson to be learned. If you tell a cop you are armed, don't go reaching for shit unless you are told to.

i have now seen a longer a video where she says that he was told to get his wallet. if that is the case and the cop still shot him, then its likely a bad shooting.
Depending on how the conversation went

Cop - DL and insurance
Guy - I have a CCW and a gun and then reaches for wallet

OR

Cop - DL and insurance
Guy - I have a CCW and a gun
Cop - get your wallet out
Guy - reaches for wallet

Unfortunately the only 2 people who know are not likely to agree on exactly what happened. I'll bet Roseville PD has body cameras real soon.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
I've had a few encounters. I usually let them know because all carry positions I use are likely to expose the gun and I'll be pulling ID from near it just like the woman is claiming the guys with holes in him was trying to do. I don't want to end up like him so I'm very careful in how I proceed.

Jogging, my CCL is actually in a pocket on my holster.
At work holster is on my right hip right IWB in front of my back pocket where my wallet is. or OWB if I'm in an untucked shirt. I also have weapons in my center console where my registration and insurance card is.

That pretty much covers 99% of the time I carry.

The last time I was approached by a park cop that was responding to a complaint by two college girls that a man was running through the park with a gun. It was very hot and humid and my pistol was printing. I told him I was indeed a man running through the park with a gun. He asked if I had a license for concealment and I said yes. He asked if he could see the license and I said no problem but it is in a pocket on my holster. He said no problem just move slowly. I showed it to him and he said thanks for my cooperation and he appreciated me taking the time to exercise both my body and my rights and to try to pick a different shirt next time and went on his way. He waved at me every time he seen me after that until he retired.

The time before that was in my truck. Cop asked to see my license and registration. State law requires I present CCL with DL if carrying. I told the cop I had a weapon near my CCL, license, and registration and I just said please don't shoot me while I'm reaching for any of that stuff. He chuckled and said don't point any of the other stuff at me and we'll be fine. I handed him the CCL and license and when I opened the center console to get the insurance and registration, he said I didn't realize you meant you had two guns. He got very serious and asked if I had a CCL for both of them. He saw I was getting pretty worried I was dealing with an idiot and told me he was just messing with me. Gave me a warning for 7 over and sent me on my way.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Looks bad, but also sounds like driver was stupid to be reaching for wallet after telling cop about gun.

Question for you folks that carry gun around - if you get pulled over what is the procedure for you?
In Ohio you are instructed to disclose you are carrying a firearm in the vehicle and where it is located. I'm pretty sure its the law.

I was pulled over once and had my gun on my hip. I pulled all of my Drivers license, insurance, etc out before the officer got to my door. Cop came to my window, I told him I have my conceal carry permit and I have a loaded gun on my person. He literally just said thank you, went back to his car, did his thing with my info, gave me a warning (69 in a 55 mind you). I admitted I was going too fast, talked to him about my big tires, he showed a chart for oversized tires speeds, was super nice etc. I'm fairly certain I got out of the ticket because I was carrying.

This video is disturbing because if the person next to me just got fucking shot 4 times, the last thing I would do it pull up Facebook on my phone live video it, and bitch about it the whole time which my SO is bleeding out. Whether it was just or not, what the fuck is wrong with people.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
This video is disturbing because if the person next to me just got fucking shot 4 times, the last thing I would do it pull up Facebook on my phone live video it, and bitch about it the whole time which my SO is bleeding out. Whether it was just or not, what the fuck is wrong with people.
What should she have done?

·
Bug Nerd
7,167 Posts
The first time I watched it I didn't even realize the guy was fucking dead, just based on the way she was talking and carrying about.

Granted, I've never had a SO gunned down beside me during a traffic stop, so I can't say how the adrenaline, fear, panic, fight or flight, etc would affect me in that situation. Maybe reality hadn't kicked in yet. Maybe trying to video it was the only thing she could do.

Her response vs the officer is pretty wild though, considering you see that the cop who shot him is trembling the whole time.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
The first time I watched it I didn't even realize the guy was fucking dead, just based on the way she was talking and carrying about.

Granted, I've never had a SO gunned down beside me during a traffic stop, so I can't say how the adrenaline, fear, panic, fight or flight, etc would affect me in that situation. Maybe reality hadn't kicked in yet. Maybe trying to video it was the only thing she could do.

Her response vs the officer is pretty wild though, considering you see that the cop who shot him is trembling the whole time.
Some people are totally chill and don't panic at all when shit is hitting the fan.

·
Unregistered User
9,026 Posts
VA doesnt require you to tell an officer unless they ask. I've only volunteered that info once and only because my gun was in my console where my registration was. I'd rather the cop know than catch a glimpse as I open the console and think I'm going for it.

Was a state trooper and he acted like a complete dick about it and questioned me to death about why I need a gun because I'm not a cop while he ran the serial. I might look like I'm probably a convicted felon, but I'd never even had a parking ticket at the time. He wasn't happy that he couldn't really get me for anything.
I'll expand on this since I was too lazy to type out everything on my phone earlier.

The Troopers attitude changed COMPLETELY after I told him I had a gun in the console and that I wanted him to know before I reached in there. He got borderline hostile but told me to pull the gun out and hand it to him. I comply slowly. He drops the mag and empties the chamber and then hands me the extra round back which I thought was extremely odd. I dropped it in my shirt pocket. He starts questioning me to death about why I didn't tell him immediately about the gun, why I'm carrying, ect. Telling me repeatedly that I don't need to carry a gun because I'm not law enforcement, that I must be planning on shooting someone if I'm carrying one in the chamber, ect. At that point I got pretty shitty and he dropped the issue pretty quickly once he figured out I actually knew my rights.

So he takes my gun and walks off for a minute. Comes back and has me get in the front of the cruiser with him which afaik they're never supposed to do. He has me sit there with him while he runs me for warrants, runs the plates, and calls in the serial on the gun. After the gun info comes back he hands it back to me with the slide back and basically doesn't look at me at all while he runs the rest of my info. Now I'm sitting there with a handgun and a round that he handed back to me that I'm assuming he forgot about it. Would have taken all of a second for me to drop that round in the chamber and shoot him in the head which seems profoundly stupid to me on his part considering he doesn't know if I've got any warrants out or anything yet let alone the fact that I'm a complete stranger. He wasn't young either, he was a Sargent at least in his late 40s if not 50s. Anyway, he finishes running my info, gets visibly irritated that my driving record is 100% clean then asks me to step out of his car. He walks me back to mine and hands me the magazine back after I get in before telling me he's doing me a favor by giving me a ticket instead of arresting me for a reckless charge for rolling through a fucking stop sign. :shaking:

edit: There was actually a second time I told a cop when I got pulled over. He asked me to step out of the vehicle. I was open carrying on my right side so I told him before I reached for the seatbelt. I generally won't disclose because it's not required, but if there's a good chance they're going to see it and I'm going to be in a position where it's going to look like I'm reaching for it I'm going to tell them because I'd rather not get shot.

I assume in VA it doesn't show up in your info if you've got a license or not. It wouldn't effect open carry since that's legal without a permit in this state and I've never had them seem like they knew ahead of time. County Sheriff pulled me the other day for my license plate tags. He ran the tags and never asked or anything.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Looks bad, but also sounds like driver was stupid to be reaching for wallet after telling cop about gun.

Question for you folks that carry gun around - if you get pulled over what is the procedure for you?
Pull over,
Take baseball hat off,
shut off vehicle, throw keys on dash,
have ID and Permit to Carry with vehicle insurance in hand before the LEO reaches the vehicle.
LEO will then ask if I have a firearm and if it is loaded, I comply and tell him indeed I do.
He asks location, I say my hit or center console.

Some are cool and that is all that is said about the matter.

Some take you out of the vehicle and take the gun for the remainder of the traffic stop.

At the end of the day, you may or may not get a speeding ticket or whatever you were pulled over for. But, they have to give you the gun back at the end of the stop.

Case Closed. That is ALL you need to do when you have a PTC.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
I've had a few encounters. I usually let them know because all carry positions I use are likely to expose the gun and I'll be pulling ID from near it just like the woman is claiming the guys with holes in him was trying to do. I don't want to end up like him so I'm very careful in how I proceed.

Jogging, my CCL is actually in a pocket on my holster.
At work holster is on my right hip right IWB in front of my back pocket where my wallet is. or OWB if I'm in an untucked shirt. I also have weapons in my center console where my registration and insurance card is.

That pretty much covers 99% of the time I carry.

The last time I was approached by a park cop that was responding to a complaint by two college girls that a man was running through the park with a gun. It was very hot and humid and my pistol was printing. I told him I was indeed a man running through the park with a gun. He asked if I had a license for concealment and I said yes. He asked if he could see the license and I said no problem but it is in a pocket on my holster. He said no problem just move slowly. I showed it to him and he said thanks for my cooperation and he appreciated me taking the time to exercise both my body and my rights and to try to pick a different shirt next time and went on his way. He waved at me every time he seen me after that until he retired.

The time before that was in my truck. Cop asked to see my license and registration. State law requires I present CCL with DL if carrying. I told the cop I had a weapon near my CCL, license, and registration and I just said please don't shoot me while I'm reaching for any of that stuff. He chuckled and said don't point any of the other stuff at me and we'll be fine. I handed him the CCL and license and when I opened the center console to get the insurance and registration, he said I didn't realize you meant you had two guns. He got very serious and asked if I had a CCL for both of them. He saw I was getting pretty worried I was dealing with an idiot and told me he was just messing with me. Gave me a warning for 7 over and sent me on my way.
You should e asked that dickhead if he was carrying his service weapon chambered. He was. By his own admission, that means he's planning on shooting someone.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
I have never and will never have a need to disclose I CCW unless it becomes a situation where I am actually being searched or detained. I would also never hand over any weapon to any Leo if requested unless being searched or detained. I would also not take any verbal battery from any civil servant on my Constitutional rights.
All of the above would require being detained, searched, supervisor.

On that note: I have been asked if I have my CCW on me as it picks up with VA plate check, said yes, no big deal.

Then again I also have my wallet out in the open every time I am stopped, interior light on , vehicle off, window down, hand on wheel. ZERO reason to be intimidated,worried or anything. That In Itself has gotten me out of a lot of tickets.

·
Hophead
77,611 Posts
But it is still a life (and death) lesson to be learned. If you tell a cop you are armed, don't go reaching for shit unless you are told to.

i have now seen a longer a video where she says that he was told to get his wallet. if that is the case and the cop still shot him, then its likely a bad shooting.
even if he didn't tell him to get wallet I lean toward bad shooting. Since when did a cop have permission to shoot someone because they "might" be reaching for a gun? That's giving them an awful lot of leeway that I, as a CHL holder, am mighty uncomfortable with

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I dunno. When someone says they have a gun and go reaching around you have to wonder. I'm thinking poor decisions on both sides the cop just the worst of the two

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
Oblablah was blubbering on TV and basically said these are still acts of our racist history.

I don't think our country has ever been as racially divided as it is now.

·
Hophead
77,611 Posts
Oblablah was blubbering on TV and basically said these are still acts of our racist history.

I don't think our country has ever been as racially divided as it is now.
I'm pretty sure when blacks weren't allowed to walk on the sidewalk, drink from the water fountain or sit at the same lunch counter as whites we were more divided

I will agree that I believe we are more divided now than in at least 40 years

·
Registered
437 Posts
You should e asked that dickhead if he was carrying his service weapon chambered. He was. By his own admission, that means he's planning on shooting someone.
Show me a cop that does not carry locked and loaded and I'll show you a doorknob-humping retard.

·
Bug Nerd
7,167 Posts
Fiance of Philando Castile on video saying that all lives matter.

Refreshing. Good for her. Video in link.

VIDEO: Girlfriend of Black Man Killed by Cops Claims, 'ALL Lives Matter' - Girls Just Wanna Have Guns

VIDEO: Girlfriend of Black Man Killed by Cops Claims, ‘ALL Lives Matter’
Posted on July 7, 2016

This woman is singing a different tune than the #BlackLivesMatter crowd. Leaders of the movement have claimed that the ‘all lives matter’ statement was racist. Apparently the girlfriend of Philando Castile doesn’t think so…

The girlfriend of Philando Castile, the black man shot dead by police during a traffic stop that was broadcast live on Facebook, has publicly pleaded for people not to use the issue to stoke racial division, telling reporters today, “all lives matter”.

During a tearful explanation of what happened during the incident, which has garnered global attention, Diamond ‘Lavish’ Reynolds urged all races to unite
“Everyone will see that this was a very detrimental situation….to everybody in this community, everybody in this world, not just blacks, not just whites, not just Asians but everyone, this affected everyone,” said Reynolds.

“Not black lives matter – all lives matter – every single life out here matters, no matter the color, the race, the nationality, we all deserve to be heard,” she added.

Reynolds’ use of the phrase “all lives matter” is interesting given that ‘Black Lives Matter’ leaders have repeatedly claimed that the term represents a disparaging racial remark.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Is it tied to your DL in SD? They'll know as soon as your info pops up. CCW instructor here suggested mentioning it.
Might be, don't know. I have a MT license and SD carry permit.

As I understood it he told the cops he was getting his wallet.

I have never and will never have a need to disclose I CCW unless it becomes a situation where I am actually being searched or detained. I would also never hand over any weapon to any Leo if requested unless being searched or detained. I would also not take any verbal battery from any civil servant on my Constitutional rights.
All of the above would require being detained, searched, supervisor.

On that note: I have been asked if I have my CCW on me as it picks up with VA plate check, said yes, no big deal.

Then again I also have my wallet out in the open every time I am stopped, interior light on , vehicle off, window down, hand on wheel. ZERO reason to be intimidated,worried or anything. That In Itself has gotten me out of a lot of tickets.
Bingo.

And I still have a issue with Cops shooting first and asking questions later. Our armed forces in combat zones have harsher ROE's then cops seem to in the COTUS.

The last time the cops told me I couldn't reload my gun while they were there. Which I told them was bullshit an wasn't against the law. He said you better not do it, to which I replied well you better leave quickly then. I know how to be politely rude while not getting myself in trouble, or trouble yet.

81 - 100 of 147 Posts