Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While finishing up my trans swap tonight, I noticed I haven't been keeping up on the other maintenance..

Looks like the passenger side frame body mount has been taking a beating and it's taking the frame with it - welds are holding just fine, though. ;)

Hopefully I can just jack the mount up and then put down some weld.

May be getting time to think about a new chassis.. :D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
with the picturesbeing so bright i can't really tell whats going on, but being drunk on my roomates 23 furst beihthday has somethingd to do with it .

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
snoop dogg said:
with the picturesbeing so bright i can't really tell whats going on, but being drunk on my roomates 23 furst beihthday has somethingd to do with it .
I have the crappy camera in the shop.. that's because I tend to drop things, knock them off a shelf/hood/cart, and get oil on the lens.. :D

From repeated jumping (well, the landing part) the passenger front body mount has started peeling away from the frame, tearing the top portion of the boxed frame.

Whaddya know.. the Scout's shit all over what was my nice clean shop floor.. no matter how much I clean the thing, or how many times dirt falls in my eyes, there's ALWAYS more to knock loose the next time I touch it.. and I've already swept under the Scout once before this picture..

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eagle-Mark said:
Body lowering kit for lower center of gravity! Good thinking. Should be faster in the turns. :D
What's funny/sad is that of the three Scout IIs I own and have solid plans for, the racer has the most solid tub and body mounts.

Maybe that's why the frame is letting go, instead of just punching through the tub. In Tigger, the passenger can feel the body smacking the frame while you're wheelin'..

I just checked. No where in my big, thick $70+ IH service manual does it say, "Check and re-weld body mount brackets every 10 races, or every engine/axle/transmission/transfercase replacement, whichever comes first"

:D

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
I just checked. No where in my big, thick $70+ IH service manual does it say, "Check and re-weld body mount brackets every 10 races, or every engine/axle/transmission/transfercase replacement, whichever comes first"
That's a very old book!

Thinking about your picture? If that has pounded down that far there has to be a lot of play (ha!) slack (ha!) severe looseness of the body. That may not be good for your safety!

In a race scenario such as yours should the cage be tied into the frame? Solid body mounts? Or at least snug? Would that be different than a milder off roader? I'm planing a six point with plates in the front to tie into the body mount on floors and run a plate all the way across the bed floor to catch those body mounts. Also thought of running a plate all the way across the floor catching the middle body mounts.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eagle-Mark said:
Thinking about your picture? If that has pounded down that far there has to be a lot of play (ha!) slack (ha!) severe looseness of the body. That may not be good for your safety!
I don't think there's really any play there.. I suspect it's just simply my fat body and the cage's weight coupled with the body's weight when I land a brutal jump.

In a race scenario such as yours should the cage be tied into the frame? Solid body mounts? Or at least snug? Would that be different than a milder off roader? I'm planing a six point with plates in the front to tie into the body mount on floors and run a plate all the way across the bed floor to catch those body mounts. Also thought of running a plate all the way across the floor catching the middle body mounts.
I've been thinking about this a bit.

I was going to start a new thread, but we'll see if I get any feedback here, first.

I've always been hesitant to weld the cage into the frame. It seemed like a sure way to introduce cracks in either the cage or the frame after a little while of abusive wheelin'/racin'.

BUT.. since more than a few guys here have now cut their floors and welded things up, maybe someone that has a year on such a setup can provide some feedback.

Any cracks in your solid welded floors? Cracks at the cage tie-ins to the frame? Cracks somewhere ELSE due to unintended redirection of frame-flex into a narrow area?

Frame fatigue is a problem most of my competitors have to deal with a lot more than I do. Broncos tend to roll the frames at the coil buckets when subjected to repeated landings, and the front body mounts don't fare very well, either.

I don't like making more work for myself, so if scrapping the body and welding the cage to the frame, then dzus-ing body panels back on is going to leave me with the same or worse frame problems, I'll just save myself the trouble. :D

If, OTOH, it won't be an issue.. I could lower the floor to the top of the frame, move the drivetrain back a foot, lighten the rig, balance it better, and wind up with a nicer looking "Scout" in the end..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts