Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHO IN HERE HAS DEALT WITH THE MISSING LINK SYSTEM? I AM DEBATING ON WETHER OR NOT TO ADD IT TO MY SAMMY I NEED JUST A LITTLE MORE FLEX. DO THEY REALLY HELP OUT THAT MUCH?:eek: I ALREADY HAVE THE ROCKY ROAD 5.5 SPOA AND 33" BUCKSHOT MIUDDERS JUST LOOKIN FOR A LITTLE MORE FLEX, I AM THINKIN OF JUST DOIN THE REAR FOR NOW?? WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO? THANKS JESS:D

·
Registered
550 Posts
I ran the Breeze drop shackles in the front
with rear Samurai leafs and thought it was fine.

You would most likely benefit more from longer leaf springs though.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
some people have steering problems when it's fully open but i think that depends one your set up the guy i know had a zlink

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Z-LINK

YEAH I HAVE THE Z-LINK BUT IM ONLY GONNA DDO THE REAR FOR NOW, I WOULD GET LONGER SPRINGS BUT I HAVE 3" LIFT SPRINGS AND I DONT WANT TO SET HIGHER ON ONE END .... BUT THIS IS A PRETTY GOOD IDEA OR SHOULD I THINK OF SOMETHING ELSE?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
it should work fine

how about your drive shafts do you have spacer or a custom i figuree if you get the kit from rocky road it came with a spacer if so that may not be enough drive shaft when you drop

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think the missing link sucks on the front, the fact is, the spring hangs way to lowww!!! I have run the rubion many times, and with the missing link in front i have bent 2 main leafs, that means stop!!! get out your hammer. Damm that sucks. Missing link in the rear, i could see. I now run custom rear springs that i made in the rear with out missing link, i dont care for missing link, just to much sh#t moving. I am now tweakin on my front spring set up, damm i hope it works. :usa:

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I have been running m-links in rear with cj springs since last July.
They work great, and have no complaints in the operation.
The RRO m-links, once I finally got them, had quite a bit of side to side slack.
I tightened them up by inserting washers between bushing and side of the outer shackle.
Replace all your bushings with poly bushings, any longer shackle will wear out your bushings quick.

The only down side I have seen to them is a decreased spring life.
I’ve gone through several stock cj main leafs. This and any flexy suspension allows more axle/spring wrap that bends the main leaf about 4-inches back from the front hanger.
If you use a quality aftermarket spring pack, or install some sort of traction/anti wrap bar this will probably become a non-issue. Also when you drop over a steep ledge or down a very steep hill, it will unload making you feel like your going to endo, but isn’t too bad once you get to know when it’s going to do it.

Offroad, they work as advertised. It made the rig more stable. Instead of always rocking back and forth with one wheel in the air, it keeps the wheels on the ground and makes it more predictable. Side hilling hasn’t been a problem, the rear stays planted.

On road, it rides a hundred times better and has better manners, because my rear springs were flat and used to beat me to death. I’m sure installation of quality shocks also helped.

A lot of people on this board have run them, most have moved on to bigger and better things. They’ll say stuff like “Go coils and D-60”
We’re all not custom fabricators, and m-links are relatively cheap and quick bolt on.
They seem to be a logical step through most people’s build up.
I would avoid them on the front because most of the guys I know that have had them said they are terrible up front. Unload while climbing, put a lot of slop in your steering, and kill your on road manners.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got the M/L up front and still havent totally decided on whether I like them or not yet.

On the last wheeling trip, I was trying to come down a very steep ledge that required a turn in the middle. I cranked as hard as I could on the steering and STILL couldnt get the front to move over. My spotter was yelling "turn, turn" and all I could do was yell back "I am!!". Cant say for sure, but pretty convinced I was having problems with the M/L right there.

On road is interesting also. When I first put them on, it felt very unsafe at speeds over 40 MPH. Lots of sway, requires two hand driving. As I got used to them and their quirks, I now push the sammi as fast as it will go (55-60 MPH) and feel mostly confident it wont push off the road.

I'm considering drilling and pinning to see if there is a huge difference.

Kevin

·
Registered
377 Posts
i ran them for a while. never really had any problems with them

·
Registered
531 Posts
Go with revolver shackles.

TB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M-LINKS

:eek: HEY GUY'S I APPRICIATE ALL THE HELP, I GUESS ILL PICK A SET UP THIS WEEK FOR THE REAR. IM STILL NOT EXACTLY SURE HOW THEY WORK BUT I GUESS ILL FIGURE IT OUT. MY FRONT FLEXES PRETTY GOOD BUT THE REAR IT KINDA SUCKS FOR NOW, HOW FAR DOES THE M-LINKS ACTUALLY DROP, I HAVE A 1&1/2 DRIVESHAFT SPACER WILL THAT WORK OR AM I GONNA HAVE TO GET A NEW ONE? THANKS ALOT JESS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts