Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just repalced the oil in my tranny and t case so my question is what oil should have i used. i put in some castrol gtx for boats or something the guy said it would be cool. my thought is that now when i shift to second gear it grinds really bad. i also put in some lucas oil stabilerizer and im wondering if i out the wrong oil in and no that is causing it to grind. tranny has been rebuilt 6000 ago. so i did not search cause i did not know what to search for so i appologise if this has been covered.

please help.

Shaun

·
Registered
759 Posts
WTF? You should have looked at the manual. It says 80w-90 gear oil. Who did you ask? Someone at kragens?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Do not drive any more on the oil you are running if it is not gear oil.It sounds as if it is motor oil. Use GL-4 or GL-5 ASE 75w-90 wt oil or 80w-90. And find someone else to use for advise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i used the gl-5 80-90 from pepboys i was just confused because it said for out board boats. i know the difference between motor and gear oil. the bottle said castrol gtx gear lube 80-90 wt meets and exceds api gl 4 and 5 standards. i just talked to a friend and he said it could just be that the syncrows could be just tight sense it was freshly re built.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
notstock said:
Do not drive any more on the oil you are running if it is not gear oil.It sounds as if it is motor oil. Use GL-4 or GL-5 ASE 75w-90 wt oil or 80w-90. And find someone else to use for advise.
you said ase isnt it sae are there a difference. i dont think i have ever heard of the ase or am i just mistaken again.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Shauneth said:
you said ase isnt it sae are there a difference. i dont think i have ever heard of the ase or am i just mistaken again.
LOL, I went dyslexic on you, it is SAE. Sorry

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Yes, its SAE (short for Society of Automotive Engineers) and that spec covers the weight or thickness rating. There is also the API (American Petroleum Institute) GL-x rating. GL-4 oils are designed for use in manual transmissions, GL-5 oils for differentials with helical cut gears. Best to use a GL-4 (only) oil, as in the case of the synchromesh transmission, a higher API grade oil is not necessarily better. I've used both and I now only use GL-4.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i managed to find some GL3-GL4 85w90 at a local parts store...says it's a light duty oil(used to seeing heavy duty on gear oil for the most part), would it be a good idea to run it in my new transmission?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Shauneth said:
I just repalced the oil in my tranny and t case so my question is what oil should have i used. i put in some castrol gtx for boats or something the guy said it would be cool. my thought is that now when i shift to second gear it grinds really bad. i also put in some lucas oil stabilerizer and im wondering if i out the wrong oil in and no that is causing it to grind. tranny has been rebuilt 6000 ago. so i did not search cause i did not know what to search for so i appologise if this has been covered.

please help.

Shaun
Shauneth,

First of all, running GL4 or GL5 you probably won't be able to tell the difference. Running 40W motor oil also won't hurt the tranny under normal conditions. 6,000 miles on a rebuilt tranny is plenty broken in and you should not be having any synchros not messing the gears properly. If whomever built the tranny, used other than Toyota factory synchros you could have a problem with "notchy shifting". The synchros need a specific coefficient of friction to clamp on the taper shaft in order to make the gears mess smoothly. Some aftermarket synchros are not made with the same alloy as the Toyota factory.

The best thing I did on my 85 5-speed was to put in Redlilne MTL, which was recommended by the tech I spoke with at Redline. If I hadn't done it myself, I would not have believed the difference. It completey took all the notchy shifts away, the tranny shifted super smooth. It quieted the tranny and it ran cooler. I HIGHLY recommend Redline MTL, it was worth every dollar!!
Gnarls.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Drain the tranny and fill the whole tranny with Redline. If it's a G52 4.1 quarts, if it's a W56 3.2 quarts, if it's a 2 wheel drive W46, 55, 56 it's takes 2.5 quarts. I ran it in the T-case also - 1.7 quarts. That's for a 1985, other years might be different. As I remember it was about $8.00 per quart.
Gnarls.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I like the Redline MT-90 a little better, its quieter than the MTL which I have used as well. MTL does shift a little better, especially when cold, and if you live in a cold climate, its probably a better choice. MTL is 70W80, MT-90 is 75W90, both are GL-4 oils.

The other thing you can do with a fresh fill of GL-5 oil is to add a tube of limited slip diff friction modifier additive, like GM Syncromesh, StaLube EqualTorque or similar. I added some StaLube to a fill of Mobil1 synthetic gear oil and it helped shifting a fair amount maybe about 1/2 way between what it was and what Redline oil did.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
4CrawlR said:
I like the Redline MT-90 a little better, its quieter than the MTL which I have used as well. MTL does shift a little better, especially when cold, and if you live in a cold climate, its probably a better choice. MTL is 70W80, MT-90 is 75W90, both are GL-4 oils.

While talking about tranny lube, winter is approaching fast and around here during winter I have to let the tranny warm up for at least 10 minutes before I can shift gears.The oil I use is 80-90W

My question; what do you think about 75-90W semi-senthetic? It is less thick for one thing...

·
Registered
172 Posts
automatic tranny fluid for cold

I also live in Canada, a bit north of you, and my girlfriend's car shifted roughly from 1st to 2nd when cold in winter. Putting Dextron/Mercon automatic transmission fluid in her Mazda's 5 spd manual tranny completely fixed the problem. I let it warm up 30 seconds, take off and it shifts smoothly even if it's -20 or even colder.

I will put it in my 4Runner if it happens to shift badly when cold. I can afford to experiment, I have a spare tranny.

http://web.ncf.ca/ez273/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts