Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out my tax return is lookin good so im gonna dump a lil money into my rig.

I have two 36x12.5 tsl radials that I have not had any luck selling . :(

I am considering buying two more 36x12.5 15 tsl bias ply tires to complete the set.

I have heard that your not supposed to run bias ply and radials together. WHY NOT ??? I know radials flex more and bias get hotter on the road.

They will be on a ZUK with all yota drivetrain etc tec that gets driven on the road between trails and to trail head on occasion ( 25 miles max ) . Its a trailer queen .

should I get two 36 tsl radials top match or get two TSL Bias ply .

I didnt do a search .

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well yo u said it gets driven 25 miles.

I made the mistake of mixing the two on a little midsize car and almost killed myself going 40mph. the vehicle went
into a side to side wobble that I almost went off the road.

stupid move. now this was on the street using street tires. If you feel that this
won't carry over to your application then
fine.

Just relaying my experience of terror.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
One other caution is that radial and bias-ply tires of the same nominal size can actually differ by an inch or two in actual size. In effect, you would be running different-sized tires; even with just an inch difference, the larger tires would want to travel a foot further every four revolutions than the smaller tires would. That's a lot of driveline windup to scrub off. Tire pressure could be played with to equalize the rolling radius of the tires, but that's not always practical.

If you did mix, then I'd say to go for the tire closest in ACTUAL size to your current tires, at the pressure you'd be running them when in 4wd.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I think the biggest concern is the difference in handling. Radials in front and bias ply in the rear is a recipe for a spin-out while cornering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.