Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we're getting ready to leave load up to go riding tomorrow morning. I started off the week with 3 good radial tires and 1 blown out radial tire. I went to the tire place to get it replaced and bought a spare while I was there. It wasn't until tonight that I realized that both the replacement tire and my new spare are bias ply tires. I figured the best thing to do would be to run both of the bias plys on either the front or back and keep a radial for a spare.

This is a 7000# trailer with 205-75 15 tires.

Is it gonna hurt anything to mix the different types? The only thing I can think of is maybe the radials sqating a little more and putting to much of a load on the Bias plys. Or am my just being stupid and its nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
It makes a difference on a vehicle. My bus has bias in front and radial in the back which is generally considered safe as it cases understeer, not oversteer as it would if the bias were in back. I don't *think* it should matter a whole lot on the trailer, but certainly keep the bias ply on one axle and the radials on the other and make sure that everything is supporting its fair share of the weight I guess. Maybe someone else will have more experience.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it on a trailer. Do both of the bias plys on either the front or back and keep a radial for a spare.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I ran 1 bias ply with 3 radial tires on my trailer for 3 years and 10K miles. No problems for differences I felt. I never fully trusted it like you but it was probably a false accusation since I never had a problem.
-Billy

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have always run bias ply and never radials on my trailers, just because I was told "never run radials on a trailer" non the less combine them. Sounds like its OK to run radials but I think it must have to be a heavy ply radial tire, right?
Get back to us after your trip and report how it towed.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts