Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Moab Easter week. I'd like to drive my bronco buggy on the street from trail to trail. It's sort of steet leagal with a plate and insurance, bla.
Are they (cops) Ok with the jeeper crowd driven their rigs on the streets there or are they going to bust me for vehicle code violations?
What's the current situation?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
JR, They are cool about all that. I have a green sticker and no windshield and a cop stopped at a gas station to check out the jeep after I looped it. They don't seem to hassle anybody.

·
Registered
893 Posts
the week of EJS, your pretty safe. if they see you doing donuts, or burnouts on main street, or climbing the sides of buildin, or giving lawn jobs, or chasing down kids in the athletic feild at moab Jr. high, they will harass you. but you have to be doing something REALLY STUPID to get a ticket that week.

however, if your in town two weeks before or two weeks after, they will uphold the traffic and vehicle laws, and that includes mudflaps, tire size, and plates actually registered to THAT vehical.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I've never had any problems there and my junk has always been a rolling violation. If you're one of the types that likes to knock back a few cold ones on the trail, watch out. I saw more than one person get picked up by a helicopter for open container on the trail.

Easy

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
I was stopped twice last year. Both times were at night cruisin for chicks. Both cops told me it was ok to drive to the trails and back but not to be out with it at night. They could have wrote me up for a lot more than they did.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
John, let me know when you will be driving through Cedar City and you can stopp off for some good home cooking. I live about two minutes off the 15 and about 5 min. from three peaks. (435) 867-0740

JR said:
Going to Moab Easter week. I'd like to drive my bronco buggy on the street from trail to trail. It's sort of steet leagal with a plate and insurance, bla.
Are they (cops) Ok with the jeeper crowd driven their rigs on the streets there or are they going to bust me for vehicle code violations?
What's the current situation?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
On a serious note, I think that after last year, it would be a good idea to be extra cautious this year. I was there in December and January this year and spoke with a lot of the shop owners/ bar owners who were quite upset about the craziness/amount of people of last years safari. You can bet your locker that the local police are going to be a bit more strict this year.

Everyone was pretty quick to say that it wasn't the club crowds or the harcore, but mostly the college crowd that did the perceptual damage. I just don't think the cops are going to see it that way or care.

j

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
Yeah, friday night last year was just a big spring break party. I was coming back into town after leaving the arena and could see nothing but headlights from dumpbump all the way down the hill into town. I heard alot of negetive remarks about all of the younger kids.

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tubehead said:
Yeah, friday night last year was just a big spring break party. I was coming back into town after leaving the arena and could see nothing but headlights from dumpbump all the way down the hill into town. I heard alot of negetive remarks about all of the younger kids.
That's what I'm worried about. Wonder how it's going to effect jeep week this year?

Didn't somebody on this board get busted last year for running beadlocks on the street in Moab? If so, the cop is going to run out of ink for my citation.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
you better have a set of mudflaps or the highway patrol is gonna nail your ass!!

you have two sets of law enforcement going on, moab police and utah highway patrol. the moab police know that you are a great source or revenue for the local merchants so they only nail you when you are drunk.

on the other hand the UHP will nail you whenever and wherever, they don't care about revenue for shop owners, they just want to look good to their superiors 400 miles away in salt lake city.....keep your junk safe and have some mudflaps that detach, it is not only the law here in utah, it is just common courtesy.

if you really want to be 100% in compliance with the law and do whatever you want with your vehicle, file for a temporary exemption to utah laws. it takes some digging at the UTAH DMV for the right form but you can fill it out and carry it with you basically saying that your car is legal in your state and that you are passing through. The cops can only get you on federal vehicle requirements like catalytic convertors and seatbelts.

dont come to Moab expecting it to be a lawless land where you can do whatever, the Greenies are gonna be there in more and more force every year so we all need to be on our best behavior to show a good side to the impartial people watching it all on TV. we need all the good PR we can get.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
tubehead said:
Hopefully it will be cool this year because Spring Break doesn't coincide with EJS this year. But last year it was silly with all the kids. Not that I am a grumpy old man,because I liked the girls for sure!!!!

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
They are okay, but watch the booze consumption. Unless it has improved in the last 5 years, Moab's jail really sucks. Trust me.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
spencurai said:
dont come to Moab expecting it to be a lawless land where you can do whatever, the Greenies are gonna be there in more and more force every year so we all need to be on our best behavior to show a good side to the impartial people watching it all on TV. we need all the good PR we can get.
I can dig that. I think it's going to take a concerted effort to wipe up after last year. I have noticed that if a group of well builts polices the booty fabbers they generally listen. It's the old lead by example thing.

I think it takes some common sense too. If you trailer your comp buggy to EJS, don't plan on driving it to the bar too. I mean do you really need to show off that bad? I know that I wouldn't trailer my rig (even if I needed too) the 1 mile to the trail head from the hotel, but I also know that I wouldn't I wouldn't drive a buggy as transportation at night in town. Hell, I get worried about my 120w low beams in these towns.

j

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
I heard alot of negetive remarks about all of the younger kids.
John, what they are saying is that you'll be OK, but your 'daughter' might getcha in trouble. :p

Randii

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
broncorob said:

I feel bad for you guys if you're cruising for chicks in Moab.
Yeah the local girls are not much to look at, but do to the college spring break crowd, there were alot of hotties around, lions back camp ground, bumpdump and potatoe salad was like one giant Frat party.

PS, I would bring your beer from Cali, the utah beer sucks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts