Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a concerned citicen meeting against BLM land closure policies on April 7th at 7pm Grand county court house.

they are looking at closing all trails in Grand County that are not "official jeep safari trails".

Anyone in town at that time needs to please show up.
we can fight this if we just get a tad more voices against the enviros here.

who knows how to do those blank letters that you can fill in your info on and email them in, like a emailable form letter.?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I dunnoif those are a good idea, I think they would turn the elected officials off when they get 2000 of the same letter, if you give me an adress or two I'll gladly write letters.

why are they trying to close them down overcrowding and just dont want to deal with it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
If it comes down to it, the Red Rock 4wheelers may need to adopt some other trails like the Hellderados just to keep them open.

They would have to do something like a vehicle inspections for people to sign up for the harder trails but the extra work would keep the trail open and maybe relieve some crowding on the other trails.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes, post an address we can write individual letters to.

And are these closings permanent or just for the EJS time period?

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
If it comes down to it, the Red Rock 4wheelers may need to adopt some other trails like the Hellderados just to keep them open.
That is one section of trail that is not at risk to BLM closure -- IIRC, that one is on school trust land.

Moab Austin -- post up an address, fax, and email....

Randii

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Moab Austin said:
We are having a concerned citicen meeting against BLM land closure policies on April 7th at 7pm Grand county court house.

they are looking at closing all trails in Grand County that are not "official jeep safari trails".

who knows how to do those blank letters that you can fill in your info on and email them in, like a emailable form letter.?

Hmmmm........I'll be down there until Sunday, the 6th.....maybe I'll be broken and can't come home......green people :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those fawkin mountain bikers are whats destroying all the land, they can't even stay off the krypto soil.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Those fawkin mountain bikers are whats destroying all the land, they can't even stay off the krypto soil.
Those fawkin mountain bikers? They are our ALLIES.

That thing they're riding? MECHANIZED ACCESS -- same as that thing you're driving.

Next time you see one on the cryptogamous soil, bust his chops -- but do it as his friend. If we can't work together with other forms of mechanized recreationists (mountain-bikers, quads, ATVs, 4x4s, snowmobiles, etc.), we're screwed. Stick together, or hang individually. :(

Randii

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
randii said:
Those fawkin mountain bikers? They are our ALLIES.

................. we're screwed. Stick together, or hang individually. :(

Randii

Amen.....(nice modern Ben Franklin :D )

.............can't we all just be friends? What's up the greenies ass anyway? I don't care if they smoke their bong and do whatever it is that they do--as long as it doesn't interfere with my life I couldn't care less. I'd be willing to bet that only 10% of the greenies actually get 1/2 mile off the road on thier 'getting back to nature' excursions......soapbox removed--not the place

Edit: spelling and punctuation

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Moab Austin said:

MoabAustin:

Is this published anywhere that we could give this some credibility {nothing implied--I just don't know how to state that any clearer without making it more muddy} and have some prepared responses to the concerns of our little green friends--I'm sure they're the same ones with the ice cream shop that want to drain Lake Powell--no hydroelectric power is needed anywhere in the west :rolleyes: ? If I'm able to be there, I'd like to be prepared and able to possibly argue, if necessary, with a sound base within the subject matter that you are indicating.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: MOAB land closure meeting against BLM

Yes I will work on more info.

LETTERS NEED TO GO TO:
Grand County Court House
Grand County Council - Attn Rex Tanner
125 East Center st.
Moab UT 84532

rex is the one who is going to start this meeting to hear the peoples voice on BLM land closure policies, namely closing existing trails.

this will probably be met with resistance but if done right could be a short battle that will be won.

I would state that you are concerned that the Moab area is slowly losing its public land accesses that have been used for years to see remote locations of moab, and used to challenge recreationists.
and then the other side of the coin:
the fact that the BLM has represented interests of a select few that know nothing about the loss of recreationalists due to reduced and non-challenging trails.

elaborate on your own if you will..would you want to come to moab to run trails like poison spider all day?

we need to keep all the trails that we have and not be limited to landgrabs that will not allow us to make more. (touch lightly on that one:eek: )

we have a meeting on april 7th about this and I will post follow up info then, as well as more info soon.

they have determined that any and all trails that the red rock 4wheelers do not use for jeep safari are not "dedicated" trails and are to be determined illegal..how can they take what ANY organization does as a rule..sounds like sierraclub bs to me

·
Registered
19,412 Posts
This has come up every year for the past several years right before EJS. The eco-nazis want some of the existing trails closed due to WSAs, can't offhand remember which ones. There are one or two that are totally involved, a few more that are partially involved. There is currently no action imminent that I know of, but like I said this has become a yearly issue. And yes, some of the stuff will ultimately get closed, its what happens, but it won't get closed without the proper actions and notifications from the BLM. One thing they can do, though, is close anything in a WSA if they believe it is potentially hurting the wilderness characteristics.

BTW, after the Roadless Conspiracy a few years ago the feds have pretty much adopted a policy that they don't count form letters as multiply responses, 10,000 copies of one letter is ONE response.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Originally posted by bad booger
What is that? I just want to make sure I know before I go.
Props to you for asking! :cool:

Google for crypto soil and Moab for tons of results, but go here for an overview: http://www.soilcrust.org/

IIRC, these soil crusts are typed into cryptogamic, cryptobiotic, microbiotic, microphytic, and I think one more... basically, these are slow-growing soil crusts that are easily damaged but equally easy to spot and avoid. All we need is awareness to keep them happy.

Randii

1 - 20 of 20 Posts