Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a cheap way to make a trailer for my Unimog and i remember a circle track magazine making a trailer with mobile home axles. My question is where can i get these axles for cheap, i mean, i don't just want to go up to someone with a trailer and ask them for there axles. Also, do some of these come with brakes? Thanks :D

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
True MH axles have the weld on brake backing plates and are not serviceable. They are designed for a one time use and I doubt you can find brakes or bearings for them. I would try looking for another axle source. Some heavy equipment trailers use the KH style axles which look like a MH but have bolt on brake backing plates and are serviceable. That's what I have on mine and you usually scrounge a set cheap. Look around for government and military surplus. I'm into my 16' trailer with dual 5K axles for under $900.00.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man...you are asking for serious problems using mobile home axles. A unimog is heavy. You stand to get some serious fines for overloading if your state DOT enforcement catches you.

PLUS, if you have a wreck, they can and WILL sue your ass off.

Just bite the bullet and do it RIGHT or dont do it at all!!!!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
It may not be right, but here in Hillbilly land, we use MH axles all the time, and they work fine. The biggest problem is the 14.5 in tires, and the lack of replacements. The bearings are replaceable, just go to your local bearing supplier, and they can match em right up. As far as being designed for one time use, this may be true, but the 20 footer I pulled last week has had the same axles and tires on it for the last 20 years, and has hauled some serious shit, 4440 JD to name one, a lot, and no one has died.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Firescooby said:
Man...you are asking for serious problems using mobile home axles. A unimog is heavy. You stand to get some serious fines for overloading if your state DOT enforcement catches you.

PLUS, if you have a wreck, they can and WILL sue your ass off.

Just bite the bullet and do it RIGHT or dont do it at all!!!!
And just how much do you think a MOBILE FREAKIN HOME weighs???????????????????

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
liliysdad said:
It may not be right, but here in Hillbilly land, we use MH axles all the time, and they work fine. The biggest problem is the 14.5 in tires, and the lack of replacements. The bearings are replaceable, just go to your local bearing supplier, and they can match em right up. As far as being designed for one time use, this may be true, but the 20 footer I pulled last week has had the same axles and tires on it for the last 20 years, and has hauled some serious shit, 4440 JD to name one, a lot, and no one has died.
MH 14.5" tires are supoosed to be crappy and illegal to use on a trailer(I'll tell you in a couple of years ;) ). You can get LT rated 14.5" load range F's for about $65.00, that are legal. Or you can pick up almost new 14.5" used MH tires for about $20.00 and take your chances. The only complaint I've heard with MH axles is the stiff springs. But you can softer ones on cheap enough. Put a break away brake on it and hook up electric brakes and go for it. It can't be much worse than the new $1500.00 angle iron crap trailers they are selling around here.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
I built a trailer with MH axles about 4 years ago. 16' flat with additional 2-1/2' drop tail, ~~80" wide between the fenders. They hold the load of the trailer and my scrambler fine, and have run 70 mph loaded for hours on end. no problems. that being said, brake parts are apparently non existent. There are companies out there that rebuild them for the MH delivery services, but when I called Dexter Axle direct (maker of my particular set) I was told they would under no circumstances sell brake parts for them, as they were one time use axles. What is weird however is that they do sell replacement magnets for them. I think if you knew a friendly counter guy at Redneck Tailer Supply or similar company, you could cross the shoes and hardware kits over to another set of parts, but I was unsuccessful in my attempts to do this. The bearings are standard stuff available at any good bearing house, and teh rear seals are available at NAPA. The next time mine need serviced, I think I am going to either swap axles to normal serviceable trailer type, or sell the trailer and build another one that is lighter. the first set of tires I used said MH use only on them, but the replacements I put on did not. they are rated for well over my load needs.

were I to build another one, I'd go ahead and use new Dexter trailer axles and be done with it, but at the time, my finances dictated otherwise, and it has served me well in the meantime.

HTH
Chad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts