Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
do you mean CJ or FSJ wide track? FSJ amc20s came stock with one piece axles, and the WT (FSJ) version is 63" wms to wms

·
Registered
566 Posts
cowmooflage said:
You can make a 20 as strong as any other rear out there.
Wow you can make a 20 as strong as a 70...please elaborate.. Would be one hell of a diff. Lighter than a 44, more clearance, etc.. You're dreaming:zzz:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Mrlo said:

Wow you can make a 20 as strong as a 70...please elaborate.. Would be one hell of a diff. Lighter than a 44, more clearance, etc.. You're dreaming:zzz:
Personally I would take a 14 bolt over your 70.

On a 20 you could have thicker axle tubes welded in and one piece axles By the time you throw enough money at it, quite strong, as for weight, it will probably weigh as much as a full width 60, but I never said anything about weight, only strength. And yes I would even take that model 20 over your wuss 70.

·
Registered
566 Posts
"Wuss 70"...two words I never thought of being used together. :p I run a wuss 60...cost me all of $50.

"...you throw enough money at it...." Keep polishing that turd... Sorry to get this thread off topic. I imagine on a 3000lb rig even a 20 would survive with 35s. I wouldn't know though, I run an FSJ with wuss axles.:D

·
Registered
891 Posts
You can make it live with a simple truss and not much skinny pedal. They are 29 spline I think, thats better than the 28 spline 9 inch I suppose. I ran one for about a year and beat the hell out of it when I had the chance to, that was not that often, I did have it trussed with one peice shafts.

I dont like the way the pig is put together, I kept catching it on trail hazards and then you could never get the thing to quit leaking gear oil, I put a new cover on it once but it wasnt long before I was back to where I started. All in all under 3000 pounds it will work but I would not throw too much money at it, they only reason I ditched mine in the end was to go wider.

That and I think the 9 inch is a better choice..look at this option...cuz it what I just did.
(You might be able to find them cheaper but this is what I paid)

Early Bronco Housing and shafts...150$
New wheel Bearings...30$
weld on brackets...20$
monte carlo calipers...55$
ford rotors...43$
pads...15$
3rd member with 4.56's and a spool...300$

Total right at 600$ for a disk brake locked rearend.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I ran 35 x 14.50's on a CJ 20 for 2 years with Superior shafts, but nothing done foe the tubes. I had no problems.
Don't know anyone who's run 35's on a D30, but I'm sure lots of people have. I'd expect to break it though. Depends on your type of wheeling & driving style.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The 20's are trash, you could make uniting strong enough if you throw enough money at it, but why spent 3 times as much to fix the anchor piece of junk 20, My buddy owns a driveline shop and there is at least one CJ getting work done on it a week because of that piece of junk, I have seen from bent or twisted tubes to complete failure of the housing at the tubes. The design was done to save money and works ok until you use them hard or the bearings get a little worn.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
True, but my buddy will be running 38x12.50 TSL on a trussed 20 with 1 piece shaft, and 456's with a spool, I dont think he will break it, if he does then in goes that 14 bolt we got laying around.:D

·
Registered
539 Posts
One piece axles for the AMC20 cost around $200.
You can get a Scout D44 for less than $100 from a JY.
Even with all new brakes, its still cheaper.

Just my two pennies.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I ran 35 x 14.5 mickey baja's on my CJ M20 with welded tubes, and I never had a problem with it. I also ran the Dana 30 front end with the same tires and only snapped one U-joint. Both axles were locked by detroit and running 4.56's. I am now running 37 MTR's on a FSJ M20 with the gears and locker from the CJ one, and I have beat the piss out of it. No problems. So to all the haters :flipoff2: get out of your chair and actually do some wheeling before you give your opinion. Burn outs at the mall don't count.

Oh and as far as price goes.
FSJ M20 housing - Free
Gears and lockers - Free (already had them)
Disk brake conversion - $120 factory parts

So let's see that is a grand total of um um $120 for the upgrade :flipoff2:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Rokmycj said:
I ran 35 x 14.5 mickey baja's on my CJ M20 with welded tubes, and I never had a problem with it. I also ran the Dana 30 front end with the same tires and only snapped one U-joint. Both axles were locked by detroit and running 4.56's. I am now running 37 MTR's on a FSJ M20 with the gears and locker from the CJ one, and I have beat the piss out of it. No problems. So to all the haters :flipoff2: get out of your chair and actually do some wheeling before you give your opinion. Burn outs at the mall don't count.

FSJ M20 housing - Free

So let's see that is a grand total of um um $120 for the upgrade :flipoff2:
2 things you are eather laying or drive like a girl.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
RokmyCJ,
You did the mod I plan to do someday. I’m looking for the elusive free FSJ M20. I had heard that the CJ Detroit would swap in, but you are the first person I have seen post with first-hand knowledge. :D
So, the stock FSJ axles have the same spline pattern as the CJ Detroit?
And, the CJ Detroit fits ok in the FSJ housing?
If I’m hijacking this thread, then maybe you could send me a PM.
THANKS!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Rokmycj said:

FSJ M20 housing - Free

So let's see that is a grand total of um um $120 for the u pgrade :flipoff2:
amc 20 diffs arn't as bad as some people think- but for serious use on hard rock trails they arn't as good as you think. any thing can be broken on a good trail run. i'm not trying to bash amc 20 but i have seen a lot of them broken on fordyce and rubicon. i have spent too much time welding them up for people. the last incident involved spun tubes in the pumpkin on barret lake trail 2 years ago. i was only one that had a 24'' pipe wrench in my spare parts box. this was used with a clevis and a 8000lb winch to spin the tubes in the housing to where they were orginally so they could be rewelded. had to dig a trench in the ground to clear the handle on the wrench and strap additional vehicles to the broken one to hang on to it while the winch was taking care of business for us. i was not wheeling with these guys - i stopped to help them out. you have been fortunate others have not had as good as luck with their amc mdl 20's

·
Registered
891 Posts
So to all the haters get out of your chair and actually do some wheeling before you give your opinion. Burn outs at the mall don't count.
Before I got the alloy shafts for the 20 witch was before I got the 9 inch I busted a stock shaft the first time i wheeled in within the first 5 minutes in a gravel parking lot.

Small Block chevy and 35's

·
Registered
141 Posts
Used to run 36 TSL/SX's and now I run 35x16 Boggers on my 30/20.

The 20 has the 1 piece shafts but the 30 has no upgrades other than the warn hub conversion. Been 10 years and never a problem. But I'm a mud runner so I'm not bouncing the Jeep off rocks, If I was I'm sure the 30 would have died by now.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Qbert said:

2 things you are eather laying or drive like a girl.
I wouldn't do that and copy your driving skills. It's technique baby not stupid pedal. I have taken my shit over Barrett lake, fordyce, and the Rubicon every other weekend in the summer and it rocks, but if you want to make yourself feel like the $3000 you spent on your 60 is justified then, whatever.

:flipoff2:

Joe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts