Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Ordered an M54, indexer, and 4 die sets this week. Can't wait to see it show up on a freight truck in a couple weeks.
The videos on the indexer would be appreciated!

·
Vendor
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ordered an M54, indexer, and 4 die sets this week. Can't wait to see it show up on a freight truck in a couple weeks.
The videos on the indexer would be appreciated!
Thank you! I'm sure you will enjoy and it will treat you well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sorry for the delay on the response. Not sure why it wasn't addressed. Either way here is some answers.

Right now we are currently working on videos for the indexer which we hope will be up soon but have not current timeline. The indexer has bump stops that you can set up for repeatable bending. This indexer is a manual indexer and doesn't have any auto feeding capabilities. Another thing it has is the degrees built into the head that allow you to rotate and know which degree you are at.

The videos don't cover really or show the speed of the 2" cylinders. If you are bending 2" .120 wall and below you can shave your 90 degree stroke to 8-10 seconds. The 3" cylinder can stroke out to 90 degrees in around 18 seconds which isn't that bad.

To select your degrees if you hold down the button it will start to jump by much higher increments making it so you get there quicker.

A numeric pad / touch screen with digits is in the mix down the line. We are talking about it being an add on you can do later for the Model 54. No time line on that but we definitely would like to do that.

The indexer and bump stops are extremely accurate, ez to use, the stops on the gantry are one way so going from one stop to the other takes just seconds. The indexer is well worth the money and setup. You will need to dial it in for your use which does take a little work but once its dialed in you can just make bend after bend! ***Also to keep in mind your material you purchase needs to be consistent as you WILL end up with different spring back depending on material construction. ***If you use mild steel -depending on where you place the weld seem of the tubing will yield different results with the same bend setting and gantry use. This has nothing to do with the precision on the machine but the precision of material and operator awareness.

I have the 3" and for about 85% of what we do I wish I had the 2" Ram (though if having the choice of only (1) I would stay with the 3") We have used the 3" to capacity so far we think......(2"x.250wall chromoly) *don't try this at home* The speed would be nice on 1" tubing when bending 170* bends but overall performance of the 3" is great. I the future we will order the 2" for production chassis designs.

The degree/ part number use is very simple and quick to jump 200* to 90* takes just a few seconds (if that)

I would agree with the digit input for simplicity, also a "safety" function (option) that will not allow bending to start without confirmation of degree selection. But again this just goes back to qualified operator that pays attention (which I am far from that.....haha)

Overall I would rate this machine (and company) 10 of 10, quality product. Has always worked with out on hitch, hiccup, or mishap causing a delay in production. Working with JD's staff is what puts them 10 of 10 as simple phone calls to rush orders for different die's is just as simple as that. If you have any production related questions directly about this machine I am available to discussed what we have done with it and how it has worked.

Thanks again JD Squared!

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Thank you! I'm sure you will enjoy and it will treat you well.
Could you give me an idea of how the 'clamps' you offer for the indexer work to bend from center of a piece of tube(maybe a couple pictures too)? And how you would go from bending from one end of the tube to mirroring the same bend on the other end. Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sorry for the delay on the response. Not sure why it wasn't addressed. Either way here is some answers.

Right now we are currently working on videos for the indexer which we hope will be up soon but have not current timeline. The indexer has bump stops that you can set up for repeatable bending. This indexer is a manual indexer and doesn't have any auto feeding capabilities. Another thing it has is the degrees built into the head that allow you to rotate and know which degree you are at.

The videos don't cover really or show the speed of the 2" cylinders. If you are bending 2" .120 wall and below you can shave your 90 degree stroke to 8-10 seconds. The 3" cylinder can stroke out to 90 degrees in around 18 seconds which isn't that bad.

To select your degrees if you hold down the button it will start to jump by much higher increments making it so you get there quicker.

A numeric pad / touch screen with digits is in the mix down the line. We are talking about it being an add on you can do later for the Model 54. No time line on that but we definitely would like to do that.
Any video's of the indexer yet?

Also, since you already have encoders to read the degrees on the machine when it bends, is it possible to put the same encoder on the indexer for a digital readout, or something similar?

·
Registered
371 Posts
JD, if I could make a suggestion. Next time you reply to this topic, in the "Additional options" box below, in the "Notification Type" click "Instant e-mail notifications" so you know when people reply to your topic.....

·
Vendor
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The indexer and bump stops are extremely accurate, ez to use, the stops on the gantry are one way so going from one stop to the other takes just seconds. The indexer is well worth the money and setup. You will need to dial it in for your use which does take a little work but once its dialed in you can just make bend after bend! ***Also to keep in mind your material you purchase needs to be consistent as you WILL end up with different spring back depending on material construction. ***If you use mild steel -depending on where you place the weld seem of the tubing will yield different results with the same bend setting and gantry use. This has nothing to do with the precision on the machine but the precision of material and operator awareness.

I have the 3" and for about 85% of what we do I wish I had the 2" Ram (though if having the choice of only (1) I would stay with the 3") We have used the 3" to capacity so far we think......(2"x.250wall chromoly) *don't try this at home* The speed would be nice on 1" tubing when bending 170* bends but overall performance of the 3" is great. I the future we will order the 2" for production chassis designs.

The degree/ part number use is very simple and quick to jump 200* to 90* takes just a few seconds (if that)

I would agree with the digit input for simplicity, also a "safety" function (option) that will not allow bending to start without confirmation of degree selection. But again this just goes back to qualified operator that pays attention (which I am far from that.....haha)

Overall I would rate this machine (and company) 10 of 10, quality product. Has always worked with out on hitch, hiccup, or mishap causing a delay in production. Working with JD's staff is what puts them 10 of 10 as simple phone calls to rush orders for different die's is just as simple as that. If you have any production related questions directly about this machine I am available to discussed what we have done with it and how it has worked.

Thanks again JD Squared!
No thank you Travis for this awesome post! Glad this machine has been treating you well!

·
Vendor
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Any video's of the indexer yet?

Also, since you already have encoders to read the degrees on the machine when it bends, is it possible to put the same encoder on the indexer for a digital readout, or something similar?
Yeah sorry for such a late response. We are about to start working on some key videos and that one is one of them. Currently we are in the process of moving some of our operations to a bigger facility here in town. There has been talks about that for some sort of readout for the indexer but I believe this will be on our next version of machine. There isn't a time frame for this machine which would have the machine with a built in automatic feeder and one shot 180 degree capability. This could take up to a couple years before we get around to something like that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah sorry for such a late response. We are about to start working on some key videos and that one is one of them. Currently we are in the process of moving some of our operations to a bigger facility here in town. There has been talks about that for some sort of readout for the indexer but I believe this will be on our next version of machine. There isn't a time frame for this machine which would have the machine with a built in automatic feeder and one shot 180 degree capability. This could take up to a couple years before we get around to something like that.

Do you sell the digital readout separately? If you do, it seems like I should be able to mount it to the indexer easy enough. I noticed on your video's that when you move the head assembly by hand that the digital readout shows the degree change, so If I could mount it to the indexer head, it should work easy enough?

·
Vendor
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Do you sell the digital readout separately? If you do, it seems like I should be able to mount it to the indexer easy enough. I noticed on your video's that when you move the head assembly by hand that the digital readout shows the degree change, so If I could mount it to the indexer head, it should work easy enough?
We don't sell those individually. What we use on that is an absolute encoder. I'm sure you can contact an component company and integrate an encoder or some sort of guide that runs on tape.

·
Registered
371 Posts
We don't sell those individually. What we use on that is an absolute encoder. I'm sure you can contact an component company and integrate an encoder or some sort of guide that runs on tape.

Ok, i'll check into that.

Is the model 54 the only bender you don't give the pirate discount on?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Will the auto feeder work with the model 54 or will it be a whole new machine?

·
Registered
10 Posts
what is the minimum distance between bends ? we have a model 3 now. the minimum distance with our 4.5 by 1.5" dies is nearly 5.5 inches. is the 54 more or less with that sized die and tube?

·
Vendor
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
what is the minimum distance between bends ? we have a model 3 now. the minimum distance with our 4.5 by 1.5" dies is nearly 5.5 inches. is the 54 more or less with that sized die and tube?
You will have to have the same 4-5" straight between bends like you do now.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts