Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So modified Hatfield shotguns are nothing new to survivalist.

Back when I was 17 (1968) a friend and I went hiking in the San Gorgonio Mountains.

(Short version) A 3 day hike up to Lake Arrowhead was planned for summer fun. 2 day uphill and one day down was all we stocked up for.
I packed my taken down Mossburg 22 rifle and a full box of shells in my backpack as an after thought. Figured it couldn't hurt, and I took a full box because I didn't want loose bullets rolling around in my backpack.

We ended up getting lost. Our 3 day hike turned into 10 days. We ran out of packed food on the 3rd day.
My little 22 fed us little bitty ground squirrels until we found our way back to civilization. I had 3 bullets left over when we finally found our way out to a Chunch retreat way back in the mountains. We were 20 miles east of where the search parties were looking for us.

So this experience has made me a fan of folding survival rifles.

A few months ago I found on YouTube a lot of people making survival rifles out of the $99 Wall Mart Hatfields.
I thought, I can do that!
I already have a Springfield M6 Scout - 22 Hornet over & under 410/ 45 folding survival rifle, but it wasn't cheap and one always needs a back up.

Here's my twist on my Hatfield 410.

I cut the barrel down to about 19 inches. It's the same length as the unmodified butt stock. I did rework the trigger as they need it.

I put a 14- 410 round fold out shell ho8lder on the stock. This way I can pack bird shot and magnum buck shot with the rifle.

Then one day at Academy Sports I found a Allen (brand) padded sling that held 4 more., so I'm thinking 4 flairs would be perfect there.

And thinking I might want to be able to take a little bigger game I started looking around at pistol caliber adapters for the 410.
Decided to go with a 9 mm 9.25 long adapter from Chaznel in Georgia. I drilled out the buttstock to carry it in, and then drilled out the bottom buttstock plate to hold 4 more 9 mm bullets.
Just in case!
Since I realized the 4 -9 mm bullets would not go far I put a single magazine pouch on the sling to hold a 17 round Ruger P89 magazine. Nice, neat and makes loading a breeze.
This gives me 18 - 410 shotgun shells and 21 - 9 mm bullets on the rifle at all times. My plan is to put it under the back seat of my Rodeo for just in case.
But back to the build.

Since I now had a rifle I figured some Duck Sites might come in handy. So I chose Laser Lite shotgun rib turkey sites.

I went with the Chaznel 9.25 barrel because it's rifled. You can get Chiappa shorter barrels but they are not rifled like the Georgia made adapters. It shoots pretty well.

I have about $200 in the whole setup. About a third $ what I have in the M6.

Some guys thought I should post the build here because you guys might find this interesting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My apologies for the wall of text. I got to explaining it and couldn't find a place to stop.

Here's some more pictures to give you a better handle on the entire build.

You can find the Chaszel barrels on Ebay listed as 10 inch, but they aren't 10 inches. More like 9.25 overall. I've brought that to his attention. But the 9 inch length works better in the Hatfield buttstock. Not sure I could get anymore barrel in it.

But just to show you how long that barrel really is.
Here's the Turkey sites on it. They are low light ones and are really bright in the daylight.

And a picture to show how I modified the trigger guard and deep cut front stock is so it almost folds on half. Yea, I could cut it down more to make it fold more, but don't see the need since this really won't be going in a backpack.

And a lot if guys have sanded off the wood stocks and painted them flat camo, but I don't find that necessary either for my application.

The sling is a quick release too. That's why I felt the need to store some ammo in and on the stock. Just in case I drop or lose the sling. Ya never know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
How do you extract the 9mm case? The old savage four tenners had an extractor cut into them that worked with the gun’s extractor.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How do you extract the 9mm case? The old savage four tenners had an extractor cut into them that worked with the gun’s extractor.
The 9 mm adapter barrel has a notch cut into the rear lip.

So when you open the breach on the Hatfield the extractor that normally slides the 410 shell back so you can remove the shell with you fingers will slide the adapter back about 3/4 of an inch. That makes it easy to extract the 9 mm with a finger nail in the notch.

I was impressed how easy it was to take out a fired 9 mm cases since the Hatfields don't have an ejector like my other breach loading shotguns that shoots the shell 5 feet away. Not what you'd want with an adapter anyway.

Haven't tried it with gloves on yet.

I'll shoot a picture and post it up of that process in a little bit.

All in all, for a throw under the seat and forget about it, survival situation tool, it's a pretty inexpensive way to prepare for just in case.

Wouldn't want to depend on it in a "Book of Eli" scenario. But for ,Oh Crap, we're stuck out here in the boonies and running low on food situation", it would sure be nice to have.

And you could just as easy put a 22 adapter in the stock instead of the 9.

Ok, here's a close up of the adapter and the notch.
And a picture of the adapter in the 410 with the extractor sliding the adapter out to remove the bullet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How accurate is it with the 9mm adapter?
Can't say for sure right now since I'm confined to a wheelchair with 2 broken legs and feet.

But with a 9 inch barrel it should out shoot a 4 inch barreled pistol.

I'll get back to you with a target test in a few months. I did shoot it at a 12" X 12" cardboard box in my backyard at about 150 feet and hit it. Just couldn't get out in the soggy yard to see where.

I've been in this wheelchair for 3 months and this is how I've entertained myself. Currently gathering parts to build a full floater Isuzu 12 bolt rearend. Just need to get out in my machine shop to cut the adapter parts to make that work.

I'm not a Gun Smith like some of you guys, and yea, this is a little on the lame side. But it kept my mind busy. The wife got tired of running out to my shop to get me tools , so I just ordered more of the tools on Amazon to build this. I mean what's another drill and bits gonna hurt?

Thinking of building a larger version of this 410 in 12 gauge & 40 Cal adapter. Trying to talk the guy in Georgia into making me an adapter to shoot 223's out if my 410.

Will be trying to teach my feet how to walk again in 3 more weeks. I hope!

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
That’s a nice little gun. I need a project similar to this to keep me busy. I cannot buy another gun for a while. I’ll be killed. I told her I wasn’t going to get another gun but I ended up spending almost $1000 on a Christmas present to myself. Maybe this summer.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Or a guitar pick tied to your glove. Should be big enough to grab with gloves on.
Lord I pray I never get in that bad of weather. :D

I'm thinking just grab the entire adapter, pull it out and sling the 9 mm shell out of the barrel like a booger off your finger.:p

Refill, reinsert, shoot and repeat.

The guy in Georgia used to list 410 flairs. Not sure if he can still get them, and think they may not last to long and have limited sight distance, but it's got to be better than waving your arms at Jet Liners.

I know you can 12 ga flairs.

Going to get some when I build a 12 ga version. Been kicking around the idea of putting a single shot 223, shortened under barrel on it.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't sell yourself short, I think it's an awesome project. OSR needs more of this kind of stuff.
I appreciate the props. It's not like I'm cutting lowers in half and welding different parts back together. But I do enjoy putting my spin on things I've seen others do.
You Tube is full of HAtfield builds. Just no one has added a serious caliber barrel to theirs.
Till Me!

I should post up pictures of my under seat gun rack. And I have a 2 rifle rack up in the headliner of my Rodeo that's kinda one of a kind. I usually carry my 30-30 and M6 up there.

Hang on and I'll pull those off my phone.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I appreciate the props. It's not like I'm cutting lowers in half and welding different parts back together. But I do enjoy putting my spin on things I've seen others do.
You Tube is full of HAtfield builds. Just no one has added a serious caliber barrel to theirs.
Till Me!

I should post up pictures of my under seat gun rack. And I have a 2 rifle rack up in the headliner of my Rodeo that's kinda one of a kind. I usually carry my 30-30 and M6 up there.

Hang on and I'll pull those off my phone.
Well, you've got me looking for .410s and 9mm adapters. Thanks for the write up

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
well shit, I may have to find me a $100 .410 to permanently store in the car.

I see that they make a 12, does it fold the same?
would prefer a 12 since I've already got shells.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yea, the Hatfields can be had at Walmart for $99. each in all 3 gauges.

And all can be modified to fold up pretty tight. Just go to youtube, and there are a ton of videos on how to, and what is the best and worse. Trigger mods too.
And ebay has adapter barrels for all three gauges in different lengths and gauges. Rifled and Short non rifled.
You can buy a entire set of Chiappas inserts and shoot almost any pistol caliber and some serious rifle cartriges (44-70) in your shotgun. For a price.
Chiappa (Italian) reputation is not all that great though. That's why I buy from the guy in Georgia. (USA)

I have a 9 inch long 12 gauge to 40 Cal rifled barrel adapter. Just have an old Springfield 12 ga for now. Going to build a Hatfield 12 ga. for it later. My EDC is a 40 cal S&W.

Still can't get them out to the range anytime soon, but plan to ASAP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts