Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone

Any experience with modifying disco rims? I've heard it's possible to cut out the center and weld it back on reversed. But how do you put them on then. Center right (nipple is then on the wrong side) , or outer part right?

I wan't to do this because I'm in need for more offset.....

Anyone pictures or tips? Ofcourse I'm not doing this mod by myself, i'ts done by a competent welder.

This is for my series IIa 88 with 900x16

Regard Bowy

http://members.lycos.nl/bowy/

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
You can do that, or you can give a vendor a call that will do custom wheels. I can get them done for you if you want. down to 2.25 backspace in 15 or 16.

Not Pimpin, I make no money on this... YET.

j

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could give you a call, but I live in Holland and already have got 5 disco rims...... So I think it will be much more expensive to let them fabricate in the USA and send them over then the quoted 100 euro (about 100 $) to have them modified......

But maybe you've got a better idea?

Or ideas about modifying?

Bowy

·
Registered
158 Posts
We flip them here and put beadlocks on for about NZ$150 - 200 [pacific paesos - about US$75 - 100] a rim :D

When we flip them it is also to get more offset so the valve stem ends up on the outside - just. In fact it can be a pain to get the caps off as they are hard up against the rim...

I can send photos but not til next week cos we are in a comp this weekend - flat out trying to cut as much :mad: Lucas:mad: out of the truck as pos....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had mine done. You can get up to 15mm extra offset without reversing the centres and minimum 30mm if reversed. I went out 30mm and had the valve holes welded and redrilled on the correct side. The guy who did them (Australia) was really good and really cheap (45AUD per wheel). The std welds are fusion welds ? with heaps of penetration, so you can't just gring the welds you have to blow them out with an oxy.

I had mine galvanised after welding and they balanced better than most new disco rims.

Can send pics if you want.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Damn :eek: $45 is cheap!!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Bowy said:
I would really like to see some pics!

Bowy
Will scan some pics tomorrow (whole IIA with them on - no pics of just the rims). Will have to email since no webspace to link from.

$45AUD = 22.5EURO doesn't it??????

Cheers,

Ben.

·
Registered
379 Posts
and the last:

it was done by grinding the weld and beating the middle with a BFH. then turning, laying the wheel on a flat sirface with the hub resting on an old hub. then tack welding.
then the wheels were bolted to the vehicle, a DTI rigged up and the wheel 'adjusted' with small taps of a hammer to get it bang on.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx for the pictures! Looks really good!

Ordered the offset just like you (10 - 11 cm)

Will fit defender arches. But for the yearly MOT I have to put on some other wheels, in Holland it's illegal when your wheels aro outside of your arches...... :(

Now I am even more anxious what it will look like with my new wheels on!

By the way your rig looks way COOL!!!

Regards bowy

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bowy said:
Now I am even more anxious what it will look like with my new wheels on!
Bowy I wouldnt worry about what yours is going to look like mate from what ive seen with some added off set its going to look the dogs nuts mate.

Just get the wheels on and get some pics posted:D

Nigel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try High Impact wheels.
They can do custom offsets & bead locks, in the Rover 5X6.5" pattern @ very affodable prices.
They use some real nice Allied wheels, And the bead locks are the best out there.

I believe their site is high-impact.net

·
Registered
28 Posts
reversed rims

I have reversed the disco rims on my rangie, only running 255x85s but by reversing the rim to get max offset out there is no fouling on full lock and a bit wider track. $45 AUD a wheel at easterm wheel works in Melbourne. Can send pics to anyone who is interested.
Kevin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts