Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody figured out a way to modify the stock pump on a RRC? Mine (late 1989) is the old V-belt set up, without the serpentine style on the alternator. I'm trying to setup hydro assist, but haven't been able to find the info via search.

I'd also be open to completely swapping out the pump, but again I could not find anyone that had done it on the old style belt set up, just on the serpentine set up. I believe I read that LWG was trying to modify or replace his, but I never saw what he actually ended up doing.

I'm planning on going with a PSC 1.75" ram assuming I can find a pump that will be able to keep up. The rig is always trailered to the trail, but occasionally I drive it around town on nice days.

And just for anyone that is wondering, turning 36's locked in the front is pretty much impossible. I've driven a Jeep and a Scout with manual steering, and both were easier to steer than this. The last trail ride I was on I ended up boiling over the PS, sheered off a Rover TRE on the drag link, and bent the upper TRE on the drag link.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
is it anything like the discovery pumps? if so this is what you do

pull the valve assy ( which is where the line goes on the bottom of the pump)

when that comes out, there is a spring with a valve assy in it..

now take the valve assy, and there should be a 10mm nut on one end, undo the nut, and there is a ball bearing, little plunger and a spring. Then what i did was took 2 number 4 machine washers, and i put them under the little spring assy, then you have to grind a little bit off the bottom of the small plunger, then you put it all back together, and its pressured up...

This is a fast and shitty explanation, its early! But i do have a write up wiht pictureson how to put it together, and what to grind down that would help out alot.... let me know if you want it and ill email it to you...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had one apart before, but I can say for sure that they are different pumps. That would be great if you could send me that, then I might have an idea what I'm doing when I pull mine apart.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I haven't had one apart before, but I can say for sure that they are different pumps. That would be great if you could send me that, then I might have an idea what I'm doing when I pull mine apart.
PM me your email and ill shoot it over on monday, I have it downloaded on my work computer...

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
bad advise to do this on a ZF pump...:nuke:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Can we get the swine flu from you over the INTRAWEBS!!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad advise to do this on a ZF pump...:nuke:
It should be a Denso 200 series pump if the workshop manual is correct. I'll know for sure when I pull it off today. I'm going to take it apart and see if it is at all similar to other pumps.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Cool, there should be a big like 7/8 nut thats on the bottom of the pump, the hose threads into it...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I pulled the pump and took it apart, but the piston does not seem to be able to come apart. There are a few small holes in it the I can see spring, but I can't find any way to disassemble the piston. I lost my camera cable, but I'll take a pic with my phone.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay I found my cable...

The pump disassembled

Piston. Slightly marred by me trying to take it apart with pliers:shaking:

Top of the piston and the BB

Bottom

If it helps any here is the logo on the pump...

Also, I tapped one of the boxes I had lying around where the bleed screw is and on the capped side of the piston. Should this work correctly? I tapped it to 1/4" NPT, where should I get the male fittings? PSC seems to mostly only have female fittings.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
ok you need to take the piston apart... and there is a little srping in there.. put 2 mumber 4 machine washers under the spring.. if you get it apart post pics....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be all fine and dandy if I could get the piston apart! Does anyone know how to take it apart? It doesn't seem to have any seems on it so I'm not really sure where to start.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The saginaw, and disco pumps, have a nut on top of the piston to get to the guts.. yours doesnt seem to have one.. hmmmm

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Also, I tapped one of the boxes I had lying around where the bleed screw is and on the capped side of the piston. Should this work correctly? I tapped it to 1/4" NPT, where should I get the male fittings? PSC seems to mostly only have female fittings.
discounthydraulichose.com will have them
speedway motors might also

The saginaw, and disco pumps, have a nut on top of the piston to get to the guts.. yours doesnt seem to have one.. hmmmm
this is called good luck. failed experiment from the start, I tell you...

jymmiek, you are obviously mechanically inclined...so make a bracket to hold a saginaw pump of some sort and just use that instead.... at least if you nuke that you'll be able to buy a replacement in this country. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I better order some more plasma tips...

What I want to know is how the manufacturer of the pump got the spring inside of it, they had to have the piston apart some how! Any suggestions on which pump I should get? I will probably mount it where the a/c compressor so that it is not such a pain in the dick to get to.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I guess I better order some more plasma tips...

What I want to know is how the manufacturer of the pump got the spring inside of it, they had to have the piston apart some how! Any suggestions on which pump I should get? I will probably mount it where the a/c compressor so that it is not such a pain in the dick to get to.
Get the GM p pump... it has more volume and less pressure than the smaller TC pumps do...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the shopping list so far is as follows...

Pulley- PP-2227
'80-'06 Saginaw P pump/Reservoir kit- SP-1305K
2"x8" Ram- SC-2202 plus hardware kit 2202K
Cooler- DER-13253

Anyone have any better suggestions on any of the stuff I listed above? I'm new to the hydro assist thing, so I don't really know any other/better sources.

Also, out of curiosity, what would happen if I were to run the stock pump unmodified? I assume that it wouldn't put out enough volume for the ram at low RPM's, but I hadn't really considered the possibility of running it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I wonder if the piston out of a saginaw pump will work in your rangie one.. put a MIC on it and tell me how big it is, and ill mic mine... is worth a shot.. Ill send you all the guts....

Alex dont you think a TC pump may work better for him because he isnt using hydraboost.. Its smaller, and wouldnt require as much room, and its only for a ram so it doesnt need that much gusto...

I also have the disco housing that holds a tc pump that bolts right on to the head that ill give you too if you wanna try it... SHit ill even give you my old pump, it whines, but it would be good for set up.. it has a pully on it so you can get the depth right.......

Wow i clustered up this post as thoughts popped into my head..

LEt me know!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
As described in the thread below I used a punch to drive the ball deeper as my piston did not appear to come apart. I would suggest drilling out the hole in small increments as it makes a bigger difference than you think. In the end you will probably destroy the pump at some point but is worth a try if you are this far.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326350&highlight=boost

fitting an aftermarket pump on a 3.9...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715126&highlight=pump

the challenges that ensued...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517894&highlight=pump

1 - 20 of 37 Posts