Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 grand cherokee. I've never been to the trail before, so what mods would be necessary to succesfully run the trail? I'm on a tight budget so the cheaper the better...I can get away without getting things that just make it "easier", I'm just looking to get by and be able to do it!

Of course, cheap isn't always possible....but thats alright. that's what time is for!

·
Premium Member
5,990 Posts
I'm assuming it's a stocker right now? Unless you're an experienced driver, you're going to beat that poor GC to death. At a minumum you'll need a really good attitude, rock sliders, skid plates, rear locker, good tires, recovery equipment and another rig to help when needed. With these minimal mods, you more than likely will suffer some body damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yup. Pretty much a semi-practical grocery getter as it is. I would definately not call myself an expert driver, but I can do pretty well off the beaten path.

Sometime in the future I will be getting an around-town vehicle, so beefing up the gc a little is in the plans. I've always wanted to drive the rubicon, just need the right equipment really. When I go (probably not for a while!) I will definately have someone else (with thier rig) along who knows the trail well.

Thanks for the input! I can start piecing things together now, maybe by next year I'll be ready to go! As far as breaking stuff, stuff is stuff, its not going with me when I die, so I might as well use it, and if it breaks, oh well. As long as I'm safe I'm good :)

·
Premium Member
16,231 Posts
One big thing,

You also have to remember that before anyone is allowed on the Rubicon, they must first submit a minimum of 10 significant responses to the DEIS.

If you do not do that, you are not allowed on the trail.

See the land-use section.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Aw comawn it's easy. If you have a strap I'll help ya. :smokin:
I've heard grands offer less rolling resistance if ya flip em over:laughing:

J/K , I'd recomend at least a 2" spacer lift & 31's. A rear locker would be a great idea , as well as rocker protection. Go with someone with trail experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts