Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the Baja Rocks photos and came across these. Anyone know whos rig this is, and how to get ahold of them? Does anyone have close up pics of those steering arms? I am basically looking for ideas on making high-steer arms for my axles, any good ideas, pics of arms, or distributors of prefabbed arms would help.
Thanks

Heres what I am talking about. I need some front and rear.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scout Dude said:
Charlie Copsey...

And I was interested in them too since I plan on copying them too.

Edit: BTW, I'll trade you close up pics if you answer my PM that I sent you!;)
Thanks for the reply...You have a PM.. sorry for slow response as my setting were wacked from when the site was slow. grrr

The close up pics would be helpful, or even blue prints of what you plan on making. :p

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Very cool pictures of the steering. Not a bad idea!!!

By chance does he have a solenoid on the locker enabler thingy?? If so I would be interested in some more pictures of that.

The picture named "charliehighsteer" is the one that looks like it has something like a solenoid.

Anyways.

Later.

Ken S.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say that the solenoid on the axle is a line lock used for cutting brakes. Allows for locking up of individual wheels to turn easier.

But I too would like to see if anyone has converted their locker to operate electrically with a solenoid. Any done this?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
on charlie's arms, do those just bolt on to the portal? Do you have any more pics of his setup, or any other ones like it?

·
Registered
564 Posts
If someone here is going to make up some for themselves, I might be interested in buying some myself - you know, defray some of the costs.

Lemme know - THANKS!:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my jeep if you want me to answer any ?s about it give me a call.I also have set up the lockers on another mog axle with air actuated lockers instead of the cables.And I have one with disc brake 5 on 5 1/2 bolt patern.
Daytime # mon thru fri
Charlie (801)796-6808

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
cedar said:
This is my jeep if you want me to answer any ?s about it give me a call.I also have set up the lockers on another mog axle with air actuated lockers instead of the cables.And I have one with disc brake 5 on 5 1/2 bolt patern.
Daytime # mon thru fri
Charlie (801)796-6808
Charlie,

Thanks for the reply. Sweet rig by the way! I think I have a fairly good idea on the arms from those pics of your rig. I just am waiting to get my disc brake hub here and installed to see what I need to make and where they will go.

How do you like your air actuators? I have been thinking that I will do that instead of cables. Was it expensive to do? What do the mounts for the actuator attach to the diff. A pic or 2 would be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks.The air actuator set up was'nt too expensive about 150 or so in parts.the actuator is just atached to a bracket welded to the diff.I can't get pics right now the rig is in florida and I am in utah.I am getting ready to do another one I will take pics when I do. It will probably be a couple weeks before I do it.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
made my own since i didn't want to mount them on one surface and risk ripping the bolts out of holes and stripping them out (as many have done)

I sandwiched the knuckle and backing plate and put the high steer arm in double for the mounting.

Its also out of 3/8" plate.

The one below is just a mockup piece and the ones i used are not cut and welded back together.

They did work well the only problem is somehow my two lower bolt holes got moved on me when modeling it thus the cuts so i could mock up the prototype. Basically it sandwiches both the steering knuckle and backing plate then angles over away from the tire and to achieve the desired ackerman.

The back plate is drilled and tapped due to space constraints and not being able to fit a nut on. will be modifying to also have nut on back side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts