Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully hooked up an oil cooler or otherwise figured out ways to keep the mogs cool? A few people have talked about this and that hear and there but I haven't heard a successfully implemented solution yet. I'm also curious if anybody has ran a mog at speed longterm w/out failure. I can't believe that the inventors of the autobahn made a truck limited by its diff temp. :shaking: Maybe this should go in benz tech.

·
Registered
816 Posts
what about a nascar style cooler. I.E. a ps pump mounted to the housing with and a pully coming off of the pinion to run the pump. running to a remote cooler.
no that would not work it would get in the way, how about this run an auxilarily ps pump or and elec pump of sorts, pumping the diff lube to a cooler. you would only need to use it when at high way speeds.

sorry fo rthe choppy description but yall get it hope.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
just throwing this out there, but the power steering pump may not be happy with the heavyier weight oil.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would think that a dry sump type lube system could be set up for the heavier weight oil. You'd need to control it with a thermostat so that it wouldn't blow the motor driving the pump when everything was cold, but the technology to do it is readily available...just gotta be creative.

I've seen more critical lube applications that take huge amounts of torque and HP (1500 HP electric motors driving extruders) where they actually preheat the lube to make sure it's always in the correct viscosity range. I'm not as familiar with automotive dry sump systems but I would start there and make changes as necessary. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The new Mogs (U-500?) have a fan on the driveshaft. obviously not a solution if you have torque tubes... but I guess it works for the factory....

·
Registered
864 Posts
in your last thread about this i had just installed my rear axle. ive been driving it around no problems (with temp). got a driveshaft thats not fully balanced so it vibrates a little at speed. temps are 175-185 which is all within ranges for oil, bearings, parts, whatever. when i get this driveshaft balanced, i will be driving it a lot more.

why are you so worried about the temps?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HaWiiLuVeR said:
in your last thread about this i had just installed my rear axle. ive been driving it around no problems (with temp). got a driveshaft thats not fully balanced so it vibrates a little at speed. temps are 175-185 which is all within ranges for oil, bearings, parts, whatever. when i get this driveshaft balanced, i will be driving it a lot more.

why are you so worried about the temps?

Oh, cuz I thought you were still worried? I just reread the old thread and see that ur diff level was low. I was just stuck on 175degrees after 30mins of driving. Well I just want to make sure i have everyones input. Cuz from time to time i still hear, "yeah but you can't run them over 55 because they get to hot." I plan to get an IR thermometer like you did and do some good testing just to make sure. Would you say that the danger is only in reaching the limits of the fluid and not premature wear on the pinioin, bearings or seals? I'm not really educated on the ideal temp range of those components.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Nascar does not use a PS pump, but a special pump build for gear old ran off a pulley on the yoke.

·
Registered
864 Posts
bigsub said:
Oh, cuz I thought you were still worried? I just reread the old thread and see that ur diff level was low. I was just stuck on 175degrees after 30mins of driving. Well I just want to make sure i have everyones input. Cuz from time to time i still hear, "yeah but you can't run them over 55 because they get to hot." I plan to get an IR thermometer like you did and do some good testing just to make sure. Would you say that the danger is only in reaching the limits of the fluid and not premature wear on the pinioin, bearings or seals? I'm not really educated on the ideal temp range of those components.
the gear fluid is good to 250*+ i believe. otherwise its just metal, and even 300 isnt hot enough to make it *that* soft. you must consider the source of those comments. most, if not all, of the people telling you that havent even seen a mog or axle. i was hearing the same thing before i started running mine. everyone was talking about the portals heating up. i could leave the axle out in the sun and those portals would build up more heat than while they are running. the pinion is the part that gets hot, and mine is doing great.

·
Registered
816 Posts
welndmn said:
Nascar does not use a PS pump, but a special pump build for gear old ran off a pulley on the yoke.
i know they do not use a regular old ps pump it was just a point of refrence. sorry, but thanks for the info. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I was working on my friend's mog about a month ago and he had put, no shit, a heatsink with cooling fins on the bottom of the tranny. I wonder if it would be possible to do something similar to the mog to get some more airtime for the heat that axle generates... you know, more surface area for better air cooling. Obviously, you can't do it underneath, but how is the air flow above the axle?

I'm agog that the Chermans put a freaking pusher fan on the U1300 driveshafts as the most elegant solution they could think of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts