Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread as a continuation of a thread that originated in the Mercedes Forum. The direction of the thread, I felt, warranted that it be moved to a more appropriate section of PBB, a.k.a. the Jeep section. So here's some of pics that I started out with there, and I'll try to base all my buildup out of this thread so that it will be easy to follow along over the coming months. I will try to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.
Cheers,
Travis

Mog axles. Front steer/rear non-steer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jason R said:
Sure those Mogs are going to be able handle 44s?
Quite easily. Ryeguy on here went to TTC '02 and beat the snot out of his with 44's. Unimogs are also about 8.000lbs in some configurations. Couple that with 37-39" tires and gearing that can reach 110:1 in stock form and I think they'll stand up to my 5500lb XJ. I think the smallest shaft diameter on any one axle (they are all different) is around 1.5", and nearing 1.75" in other places. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Travis

·
Registered
286 Posts
unimogs come with tires ranging from 37" on the small end up to 49" depending on the model. 37" to 44" are the norm on 404 mogs which these axles are from.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Forget the axles handling the 44's, will the XJ unibody hold up to the weight of those tires & axles?

Are you going to reinforce the unibody to handle the extra stress the tires/axles will add?

How long are those pinions? They look LOOOOONNNG:D

Good luck with the project and keep us posted:beer:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
1990JeepXJ said:
Tire test fit 1.

What's up w/ the :rainbow: French flag grill??
:flipoff2:

Cool project... I wanna see it finished.

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
interesting position for the tie rod, do u plan on moving it or will it stay bellow the axle, i know you will have an ass load of clearance with 44's and mogs but that will be the lowest part of the rig, will you keep the drums or convert to disc, just a thought:confused:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. So many questions. O.K. here goes.

YJ4RoX: XJ unibodies are quite rigid. There was a test done somewhere that compared it to a Chevy 1 ton truck. End to end, if you put twisting forces on the frame horns at the f/r of each of these vehicles, the XJ unibody has more torsional rigidity than said 1 ton truck. Yes, there will be a "subframe" of some sort that all the suspension links will tie into, distributing forces more evenly into the unibody. And Mog axles are actually barely heavier than D60's. I've seen many XJ's with D60's so I'm not worried about it. Pinion length is about 19.75" from axle centerline to pinion flange.

Kilby: It's not french. I looked into that before I painted it. French has these colors, just backwards. All American baby! Besides, the French are cool, right? :flipoff2:

das_jeepinator: I'll be keeping the stock 4.0/AW4 until one of them dies. Then I'll swap in either GM v8/700R4 or Jeep V8/545RFE. Leaning towards the latter for now. T-case will be Dodge 203/Ford 205 doubler.

YJ_Swamper: Tie rod will stay put until I have problems. I think the only other choice would be in front of the axle, and that would subject it to more potential damage. It's really not "under" the axle that much. Might just be the angle of the pic. Drum brakes will stay for now. $$ is tight enough, so they will due until the first brake change. They stopped 8000lbs with 110:1 gearing, they'll do fine for my 5500lbs and 85:1 gears. The pic really doesn't do them justice. The bolt circle alone is over 8", use that to imagine the size of these things. I measured them once, seems like they were around 15" w/o the lip towards the back. My hummer rims will barely clear with 3" BS.

I hope I've answered all questions well. I'll be happy to anwer more. Estimated completion date of spring 2003.
Travis

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
XJ running around here with mog axles and Michelin XMLs. Say it once in Dresser. He was busted on top of a hill and I wa stoo lazy to get a good look, but it was fawking huge tall!

Should be a interesting project.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
1990JeepXJ said:

YJ4RoX: XJ unibodies are quite rigid. There was a test done somewhere that compared it to a Chevy 1 ton truck. End to end, if you put twisting forces on the frame horns at the f/r of each of these vehicles, the XJ unibody has more torsional rigidity than said 1 ton truck. Yes, there will be a "subframe" of some sort that all the suspension links will tie into, distributing forces more evenly into the unibody. And Mog axles are actually barely heavier than D60's. I've seen many XJ's with D60's so I'm not worried about it. Pinion length is about 19.75" from axle centerline to pinion flange.

A friend of mine that I wheel with has an Long Arm XJ on 35"s, D44, 8.8 etc. etc. After only a couple of years hes fixed many cracks in his unibody and this winter hes swapping another unibody onto his running gear. That said I would reinforce the hell out of yours as you will 100x as much stress on it than he does.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
1990JeepXJ said:

Kilby: It's not french. I looked into that before I painted it. French has these colors, just backwards. All American baby! Besides, the French are cool, right? :flipoff2:

Travis

Aah... yes. BUT! What if I were to view the grill from my REAR VIEW MIRROR!? Dahnt-dahnt-daaaaaah!

I'm just razzin'. :D

I may just be ignorant, but what gear ratio do you have in those mogs? I'm really interested in seeing how that setup does w/ a stock drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Jason R A friend of mine that I wheel with has an Long Arm XJ on 35"s, D44, 8.8 etc. etc. After only a couple of years hes fixed many cracks in his unibody and this winter hes swapping another unibody onto his running gear. That said I would reinforce the hell out of yours as you will 100x as much stress on it than he does.
Yes. It would for sure need some reinforcements around key points. My point about the comparison to a Chevy 1 ton was just to illustrate the overall stiffness and put the unibody on par with other rigs. Every vehicle that's used in extreme situations is going to need to be strengthened somewhere. TJ's in the rear trackbar mount at the frame. Chevy's at the steering box mount. CJ's at the leaf spring mounts. Stock suspension mounts on the frame end of the XJ 5-links. I'm hoping the subframe idea will cure this last one.
Travis

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Kilby Aah... yes. BUT! What if I were to view the grill from my REAR VIEW MIRROR!? Dahnt-dahnt-daaaaaah!

I'm just razzin'. :D

I may just be ignorant, but what gear ratio do you have in those mogs? I'm really interested in seeing how that setup does w/ a stock drivetrain.
Touche on the rear view mirror. As far as gearing. 3.54 pigs with 2.13 hubs for 7.56 overall.
Travis

1 - 20 of 59 Posts