Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may or may not know, I am building ProjectGoat. DD Cummins 1 ton 2WD being converted to 4WD (truck in sig). I have sourced out a HP60 for the conversion, and I am still in the process of collecting parts. BUT, and there is always a but, I am now thinking of throwing MOGS under it instead. The thing is, I am not edge-m-acated on Mogs. Is there is an aftermarket for Mogs? Such as ring and pinion (or I am stuck using a stock gear set like the Rocks) Is there particular Mogs I need to look for? Stay away from? How about for a DD, can they take everyday use? Basically I know NOTHING about Mogs, but (there is that but again) I have seen some Mogs in some real cool builds, so it got me to thinking. And if you do not know about my project, no need to tell me "why are you doing this" or "It will be cheaper to buy a 4WD". I know this, and I just want to cause I can. Fair enough? OK, so if you have some info as to why or why not use Mogs in a DD, let me hear it.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
dont do it, expecially if its for a dd do a little more research if you want but ill save you the time and tell you to not do it. im not sure what size tires you are planning on using but that is a lot of power. the axles wont safely go over 55 w/ the drum brakes. the drum brakes suck, and discs are expensive. they are hard to fit in due to the 6 in rise and the 19 in long pinion. (im talking about the 404 axles, i know there are others but these are the more common)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coilovers were too expensive and complicated for you and now you want to use mogs????????????????????????

Never said that. :shaking: I said I was going to keep it simple, and still may. BUT, does not keep me from thinking that if I decide to go a different route (which I am allowed to change my mind, right?) I think swapping over to Mogs would be a directon I may head to. Unless Mogs are not suitable for a DD. So, did you have any constructive critiscm or because I may change my mind upset you? What I am doing, is doing a swap, and when I asked about coil overs for a DD. The majority said KISS, and I agreed. Why complicate the swap with things that aren't needed? But, as I collect parts,and watching some build theads, and seeing some Mog builds, thought I would inquire about them. Once again, I CAN do that, right? Gather informaton about something, like Mogs, from this site? So, if you (or anyone) has USEFUL info on Mogs, I would like to hear it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont do it, expecially if its for a dd do a little more research if you want but ill save you the time and tell you to not do it. im not sure what size tires you are planning on using but that is a lot of power. the axles wont safely go over 55 w/ the drum brakes. the drum brakes suck, and discs are expensive. they are hard to fit in due to the 6 in rise and the 19 in long pinion. (im talking about the 404 axles, i know there are others but these are the more common)

OK, thanks. And yes it is for a DD. What do you mean the axles will not go safely over 55MPH? Because of the drum brakes? I would convert over to disc brakes. What do you mean "that is alot of power" Are you talking about the power to turn the tires? If so, I have MORE :eek: than enough (see sig)

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
OK, thanks. And yes it is for a DD. What do you mean the axles will not go safely over 55MPH? Because of the drum brakes? I would convert over to disc brakes. What do you mean "that is alot of power" Are you talking about the power to turn the tires? If so, I have MORE :eek: than enough (see sig)
They are geared 6.5:1 in the axles or something, as far as I know they don't have aftermarket R&P's (who needs them when you get mad crawling gears stock?)

I'd imagine with that truck, and that much power, 1.5 ton rated mogs means Poratls go boom?

That'd be one tall heavy beast of a rig though, not a real practical wheeler IMO.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
7.56 Gears
Buy a jeep frame off of craigslist & buy a tube chassis. Dont destroy a good tow rig to build a moderate wheeler.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are geared 6.5:1 in the axles or something, as far as I know they don't have aftermarket R&P's (who needs them when you get mad crawling gears stock?)

THAT right there is ALL i need to know. No going to fly for a DD

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
7.56 Gears
Buy a jeep frame off of craigslist & buy a tube chassis. Dont destroy a good tow rig to build a moderate wheeler.

Has nothing to do with what I am trying to do. Not meaning to be an ass, but I am asking for info on Mogs, not if I need to buy a Jeep frame:shaking:

·
Banned
7,672 Posts
Mogs are fucking useless for your truck. The guys here are trying to tell you that in the nicest way.

Mogs have their place in a wheelin' rig, but absolutely no place in your tow rig with a 3300 RPM redline. Get the HP D60 and be done with it...or better yet, find a wrecked 4wd similar to yours and steal the parts.

A huge 4 door Dodge is never going to be a wheelin' rig.

Honestly, as you've been told at least a half dozen times, if you want a 4wd truck you should buy one.

Mine is for sale in my signature and if it's no good, there are plenty more.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Mogs are fucking useless for your truck. The guys here are trying to tell you that in the nicest way.

Mogs have their place in a wheelin' rig, but absolutely no place in your tow rig with a 3300 RPM redline. Get the HP D60 and be done with it...or better yet, find a wrecked 4wd similar to yours and steal the parts.

A huge 4 door Dodge is never going to be a wheelin' rig.

Honestly, as you've been told at least a half dozen times, if you want a 4wd truck you should buy one.

Not looking for a wheelin rig, that is NOT what I am doing. I am converting my truck to 4WD becasue I need 4WD for my property that I just bought. I guess maybe my thread should have been titled "Tell me about Mogs" and then maybe I could get a straight answer (as those that HAVE answered, thank you) What is so hard to understand about this?:confused: I ask a question about Mogs, and everyone gets bent out of shape. Geez, and even if I DID want to thow Mogs under my DD, who are you to care? All I asked was for some info on Mogs, as I know NOTHING about them. I do not need opinion's on why I should not do it, I am an adult, I can make my own decisions for me. However, for me to make a decision, I need info, and THAT is what I have asked for. I had one guy tell me the gear ratio, and tha tthere are no cmpanys that make other gear sets, and with THAT info, I knew that it would not work, done. Over. Finished. But, more come on giving me there opinion on why I should not do it, and has no point in my question, or what I need. Man, more of you guys are worried about giving opinions than answering a question. Fawk it, if I guy (me) comes up with a stupid ass idea, let him (me) deal with it.

I do not need a rig to buy. I do not want a Jeep. I am not going to buy a 4WD truck. And with one post (thnks Hardcorewannbe for the R&P info) my thread was answered, and all o this other crap is pointless. I do not need any more info (and definitely no more opinions:shaking:)

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Hawiiluver has been running Mog axles in his Dodge (gas, not CTD) for awhile (the rear any way, not sure if he ever finished the front). Some people have had lubrication issues in the pinion and portal boxes at highway speeds.

The mog axles have super low gears (as already noted, depending on model may range from 5.308-7.56) You'd be limited to on road speed by the CTD redline RPM, but if it's for exploring the back 40...than go for it

Unimog 404.0/404.1/ 406
Differentials 3.545/ 3.143 /3.143/ 2.555
Hub reduction gears 2.133/ 2.077 /1.929/ 2.077
Total axle ratio 7.56/ 6.527/ 6.061/ 5.308

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why are you all concidering 404s?

416 or 1300l would work great. fast axle ratio of 5.34 disk brakes and strong.

But even in the 5.30 range would be limiting for a DD however. So, as far as we know, no one makes a lower (numerically) gear set for the Mog? What is the difference in the 404/416/1300? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hawiiluver has been running Mog axles in his Dodge (gas, not CTD) for awhile (the rear any way, not sure if he ever finished the front). Some people have had lubrication issues in the pinion and portal boxes at highway speeds.

The mog axles have super low gears (as already noted, depending on model may range from 5.308-7.56) You'd be limited to on road speed by the CTD redline RPM, but if it's for exploring the back 40...than go for it

Unimog 404.0/404.1/ 406
Differentials 3.545/ 3.143 /3.143/ 2.555
Hub reduction gears 2.133/ 2.077 /1.929/ 2.077
Total axle ratio 7.56/ 6.527/ 6.061/ 5.308
Lube problems at highwy speeds? That is no beuno. Is it the way the pinion is mounted that is has oiling issues? And yes, more than for the back 40, it is DD and I have to be 65MPH+ around here, or you get run over. What about that hub reduction gear? What about the 2.555 gear set matched with the 1.929 hub? No have calc infront of me, what does that come out to? 5.000??? Or is there a reason you could not mix and match the sets?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
you shouldnt have lube problems, its because the drum brakes dont allow for airflow to let them cool, thats why you need discs if you are going to be at highway speeds. what size tire are you planning on running? im on 42's and 404 mogs and its not a bad match. i would consider something bigger than the 404 for a rig like yours(lots of weight and motor). they are sweet axles if you have the time/ money to make them work.

if you are really concerned about the gears than i would suggest making a 9in center with mog outers, then you can get different gears for the nine

·
Registered
543 Posts
If your shooting for a daily driver you won't want to run that cummins over about 2200 rpm for any kind of fuel economy and noise level. I run my 6BT at 1,300 to 1,400 on the highway and get about 28 mpg. That is in my 1980 IH scout.... I have a big overdrive and fast ring and pinions...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you shouldnt have lube problems, its because the drum brakes dont allow for airflow to let them cool, thats why you need discs if you are going to be at highway speeds. what size tire are you planning on running? im on 42's and 404 mogs and its not a bad match. i would consider something bigger than the 404 for a rig like yours(lots of weight and motor). they are sweet axles if you have the time/ money to make them work.

if you are really concerned about the gears than i would suggest making a 9in center with mog outers, then you can get different gears for the nine

37-39's is all I want to run (and really just 37's) And before anyways says anything about the "small" tire, just deal with it. That is why I am asking what R&P's are/were available for the Mog, to gear it accordingly. But, as we are finding out, limited in that. So, we are back to too much gear to work on a DD. Hey, fair enough. I tried. While we are still here, anyone care to chime in what is the difference between teh Mogs mentioned above

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your shooting for a daily driver you won't want to run that cummins over about 2200 rpm for any kind of fuel economy and noise level. I run my 6BT at 1,300 to 1,400 on the highway and get about 28 mpg. That is in my 1980 IH scout.... I have a big overdrive and fast ring and pinions...

Yeah, I know about the sweet spot in my CTD. Your 6BT is not a Common Rail, and my Common Rail will never get 28MPG :shaking: I also never drive 40 MPH on the highway to acheive the 1300 RPM you are driving at. I don't drive a Scout. Maybe I missed it, but where was the Mog info in your post?

I can not stress enough on how much thanks goes out to you guys that have answered my question with a straight face (which admittingly was probaly hard to do) and stuck to the original intent of the thread, regardless of how obscure/ridiculous it may have been. How I see it is like this: The ONLY stupid question is the one NOT asked. And since I had not idea about Mogs, I thought I would. Otherwise, how would I have ever known if they would have worked or not? Thanks again

·
Registered
543 Posts
You are pretty much a wanna be talker here...... I'm betting anything you will never get that project finished... I'm well over 60 mph at 1,400 rpm..

Just go out and buy a cummins 4x4 since you will never get that done anyway...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts