Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just installed a Mojave heater in place of my stock POS. Now, the heater is way, way better than the stock, but the defroster still sucks ass. I can't get much flow. It blows like mad going into the windshield frame, but hardly anything comes out even on high. Now I haven't hooked the water lines up to see if there is a heat difference, but there isn't much flow difference in the defrost part.

Any ideas???

This is on a '75 CJ5

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
well the big prob. on cj is it is going in the whole damn frame use somthing so it only comes out the vents and it should work better, they changed it on yj's so it comes ot the dash and the dash pad is the ducting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey guys,

I just installed a Mojave heater in place of my stock POS. Now, the heater is way, way better than the stock, but the defroster still sucks ass. I can't get much flow. It blows like mad going into the windshield frame, but hardly anything comes out even on high. Now I haven't hooked the water lines up to see if there is a heat difference, but there isn't much flow difference in the defrost part.

Any ideas???

This is on a '75 CJ5

I went to HD & got one of these

It fits perfectly over the front of the heater. I mounted it upside down so the big holes are coming out of the top to direct air to the defrost, (my main concern). I attached it to the heater by using a couple of BIG duct hose clamps hooked together & wrapped around the entire thing. On my TJ I was able to jam the whole thing on top of the trans hump & the white box outlets went directly into the OE defrost duct. It was TIGHT & I had to pull the whole dash out to fit it in there, but man it works GREAT now.

I also drilled a couple of small holes in the lower corners & put in some of the side window vent hose that TJ's have. It's about 1" in dia. & I have them routed to blow into the floorboards.

I did this re-work after I had installed it two february's ago. Originally I mounted it on the firewall behind the battery & ran aluminum dryer ducting to a "custom" air diverter box I had made out of some corrugated plastic, (think plastic cardboard). While this worked, it was far from ideal, & I lost probably 2/3rd's of the airflow under the dash due to bad routing &/or insufficient sealing. I never got cold, but the "defroster circuit" wasn't very effective.

I won't have any issues with this now & I won't ever be one of the fifty a week "my jeep heat doesn't work" whiners on JF or JU. :grinpimp:

Later,
Buddy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts