·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before anyone asks why I’m building a frame- I wanted a 20ga tank and the 05ish wrangler tanks are 34” wide so I decided I’d prob have the same amount of time in a new one. The tank uses the same pump/sending unit as the hemi equipped stuff, so no messing with the fuel pressure or using an external pump. My background is def rock crawling, but this will be a DD truck.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics and nice welding. I feel stupid for asking but I can't see where that lapped joint is in the larger pictures? And Im curious as to why you used a lap joint rather than mitering? How many hours do you figure you have into the frame in the latest pictures? What thickness is the tubing?

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Looks good.

Not sure what wheelbase you are looking at...but I would think about stretching it a bit. Those short links, with short wheelbase, and with the power, will be interesting.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good.

Not sure what wheelbase you are looking at...but I would think about stretching it a bit. Those short links, with short wheelbase, and with the power, will be interesting.
I was thinking the same. The front is stretched 2” as of now and I’m gonna see where that lands me. The rear lowers are 39” and rear uppers 31” I believe. The frame is pretty wide and the uppers triangulated pretty far, so kinda looks worse than it is. I’m def leaving room for adjustment. My end game is going to be driving it almost daily and using it to pull my next buggy build.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
If you can keep it low and the lowers flat it should be fine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can keep it low and the lowers flat it should be fine.
I mocked everything up at 19” frame height on 37’s with the rear uppers being 2” higher at the axle than at the frame. I put the progressive rate coils on the rear and it’s purely a guess at this point, but I think once weight is on the rear they’ll be parallel. The front will be lower at the frame than the axles, so no problems there. Trying to think of everything while it’s just bare steel is interesting lol. I think at this point the pan will clear the top link.

Most of Sunday was spent tackling the hi steer arm on the passenger side. My wheels are from a newer (‘15) Dodge Cummins I got from a local guy and I had the centers bored for my hubs. There’s very little backspace to them, so I had to fab a new arm that cleared the wheel and wouldn’t hit my panhard mount at the axle. The Ackerman is kinda a mute point trying to get clearance. Even though I don’t plan on this being crawled I want the hi steer on that side so the steering angles are all correct. It’d drive me nuts just looking at it if not.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
You should be just fine then.

That whole pan to the front links thing...:mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should be just fine then.

That whole pan to the front links thing...:mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:
Stupid details :D

I'm going to try getting the knuckle finished today and lengthen the steering arm on the box so I can get the full turn out of the axle. The stock jeep arm has a drop and I'll wrap the larger splined end with 2 pieces of 1/4" and tie it all together for a straight arm and the links will line up

1 - 20 of 65 Posts