Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Looks like factory Silverado 20's, especially with the offset.
Hell no lol.....anyone putting 20’s on a Scout should be shot. They’re 18” 3rd Gen Dodge Cummins wheels. The new dodges are electronic and don’t have lockouts, so I just bored them to fit over my Ford unit bearings. I didn’t want a huge offset wheel since I put 60’s under it they’re already wide enough so those fit pretty well (8 on 6.5)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
The blue tape I'm using to mark the rear quarters because I'm going to stretch those wheel wells 3-4" and the front I'm going to do something similar possibly. I stretched the front 2" when I did the new frame, but with the rear of that front quarter trimmed it doesn't really look too bad how it is so we'll see

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Since both sides had rust damage I basically had to cut them out and build them back. I used 1/8” plate with a bend to match the angle of the firewall and welded it in. I do not like the cages I’ve seen with the bar in the way, so I’m plating this panel with layers after I do a 1.75” hole to run a short piece of tube thru to connect the cage in there tight. Will post pics of that later as it progresses.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
nice build, rad your taking the time to stretch the rear flares to look nice and OEM.
Thx man. It def takes patience working with sheetmetal. I thought of doing the bronco flares which woulda been much easier, but it was one characteristic of the Scout I didn’t want to alter

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
subbed. I can't support the idea of it towing since it's got a 6 foot wheelbase, but it'll look good trying if nothing else!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
500 hp and a 60 rear?
Yup. This is not a wheeling rig per say...more of a DD hot rod with crawler attributes since that’s what I’m used to building. If in the future I decide to or I sell it the only thing it’ll really need is heims instead of bushings, lockers, re-geared and possibly 35 spline rear shafts.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
500 hp and a 60 rear?
subbed. I can't support the idea of it towing since it's got a 6 foot wheelbase, but it'll look good trying if nothing else!
Yeah, I’ll see how towing a buggy goes. It’ll make me keep it light for sure. It’ll have the power, but the wheelbase (even stretched) will be interesting 🤪

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Yup. This is not a wheeling rig per say...more of a DD hot rod with crawler attributes since that’s what I’m used to building. If in the future I decide to or I sell it the only thing it’ll really need is heims instead of bushings, lockers, re-geared and possibly 35 spline rear shafts.
Good luck, I know people who have broke rear 60s on pavement and getting firewood.

It's just so easy to grab a 14b, D70 or sterling and be done.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good luck, I know people who have broke rear 60s on pavement and getting firewood.

It's just so easy to grab a 14b, D70 or sterling and be done.
I looked at all those options....all were too wide. The Sterling woulda been my 2nd choice, but the ID of the Sterling’s are oval and they’re more work than I was willing to do for shortening one side. If I don’t plan on crawling it the idea of a heavier axle doesn’t make sense to me. I know ppl that can break a steel ball in a rubber room, but I’d think anyone with good sense can make a trussed d60 rear survive on the street lol

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A stock C&C 14b is 63" Wide, how narrow do you want?
That was my 2nd choice behind the sterling actually. I just felt like for the trucks intended use it was kinda a waste to go that large. Now if my plan was to thrash on it in the rocks it woulda no question on the 14B. I’m not disagreeing with you, I just felt going that large was outside the parameters for what I’m doing with it.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
That was my 2nd choice behind the sterling actually. I just felt like for the trucks intended use it was kinda a waste to go that large. Now if my plan was to thrash on it in the rocks it woulda no question on the 14B. I’m not disagreeing with you, I just felt going that large was outside the parameters for what I’m doing with it.
A shaved 14b has more clearance than a D60 :flipoff2:

I'll drop it, I guess. Best of luck.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)

I decided not to use the stock core support even though I built everything for it to fit. 1/8” thick aluminum panels will run from the firewall forward.

This is the best way to mount the grill I could think of and it will give me something to mount the radiator from as well.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts