Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,990 Posts
Nice work stretching/keeping the Scout wheel arches, I wish I had kept the Scout wheel arches on mine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Nice work stretching/keeping the Scout wheel arches, I wish I had kept the Scout wheel arches on mine.
I went back and forth many times looking at your build also. I like the high cut fender look, but just couldn’t bring myself to do it in the end.

Thank you for serving by the way

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Got my winch plate made and welded on the front. This is the start of the shell that will slide over the front. I’m going out on the outside of the frame with more steel, just haven’t decided how I want to do it yet.

Also got my different coils for the rear which look much better than the last guess. New ones are 8” x 300#

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)

I hate bumpers that stick way out and take away from the truck and all you see is a huge bumper. I sunk my winch plate back in there so everything’s nice and tight. The shell is made from 1/8” plate with lots of gussets on the back side

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Got some cage work done. Debating bringing it out the back of the half cab and building it in 2 sections when I want to run a full cage without the top.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It's a Jeep LJ (Mercedes) box. I thought it would give me the best flow at speed because I didn't want the delay in steering you get from going hydro assist. From the research I did, these boxes do not like being tapped for assist.

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
It's a Jeep LJ (Mercedes)...because I didn't want the delay in steering you get from going hydro assist....
Interesting thought. I assume you have had hydro assist before and had lag in response?

Reason I ask is because I have zero lag at speed, idle, etc. with assist. This is all with standard canned ham GM pump, rebuilt box that I tapped, and a pretty old ram.

·
P.B.A.
4,337 Posts
Interesting thought. I assume you have had hydro assist before and had lag in response?

Reason I ask is because I have zero lag at speed, idle, etc. with assist. This is all with standard canned ham GM pump, rebuilt box that I tapped, and a pretty old ram.
*hijack what size ram?

Op awesome build can’t believe I just stumbled on this.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

I did have a lag in my 06 Tacoma, but got used to it. It was a PSC pump, 1.5" ram I think, and a tapped IFS box. I just figured with a larger motor and the suspension setup the way I did to go faster I wouldn't want any lag. My frame height is 18" with a negative angle of the uppers so it handles well at speed. Eventually this rig will pull my next buggy build on a trailer, so didn't want a lot of roll, ect

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
I did have a lag in my 06 Tacoma, but got used to it. It was a PSC pump, 1.5" ram I think, and a tapped IFS box. I just figured with a larger motor and the suspension setup the way I did to go faster I wouldn't want any lag. My frame height is 18" with a negative angle of the uppers so it handles well at speed. Eventually this rig will pull my next buggy build on a trailer, so didn't want a lot of roll, ect
Might have been that IFS box. I know nothing about them, so totally assuming out my ass, but I would guess it was that.

Your new set-up should be solid! And I still love your fender work man... :smokin:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Might have been that IFS box. I know nothing about them, so totally assuming out my ass, but I would guess it was that.

Your new set-up should be solid! And I still love your fender work man... :smokin:
Thanks, I appreciate it. The work on the motor has been frustratingly slow due to receiving pistons with damaged skirts. Last set I ordered only had 1 that was damaged, so refusing to ship them all back I just bought a single from Jegs. I've checked all the ring gaps and honed one cylinder wall that had a knick way up high. Another delay was finding a weight scale that went to .1 grams in order to balance all the pistons just right. As soon as I get that I'll be good to go with putting them all in the motor and button up the bottom end. I'm having the heads decked and gone thru just as a precaution.

In the meantime I have a jeep to backhalf (don't really wanna take on another project but it'll free up some $$ to finish this thing out).

·
Registered
849 Posts
Agreed! I wish I would have taken the time to keep my original arches in stead of just enlarging the openings and bending a new lip.

Project looks great silverback!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Agreed! I wish I would have taken the time to keep my original arches in stead of just enlarging the openings and bending a new lip.

Project looks great silverback!
Def makes the truck look longer than what it really is and more proportional with the bigger tires. As soon as my 2 scheduled projects for customers are done I’m going to roll it back in the shop to get it finished up. Maybe put in expanding foam insulation and metal on the interior of the shop before paint if I get enough tax $$ back

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Taking some time to put my motor together before anymore work on customer projects. I decided it’d be a good idea to remove the cam and lifters to check for any foreign material and give everything a coat of grease so I don’t get a dry start. There’s been confusion on the ARP torque specs on the rods, so I called Manley performance to verify. Pistons will go in this Saturday and I’ll have the heads back from machining next week.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Decided what the heck, I’ll do a cam. Jay Greene specializes in the GenIII Hemi and this is his mild thump cam. It gives the power in the range I need, good idle and I don’t have to switch to a heavier spring in the heads since it’s a low lift cam.

The Hemis main downfall is lifter failures that chew the cam up, so replaced the stock lifters with the pressure lubricated Johnson Hylifts.

Been rolling around ideas in my head on what to do for a rear bumper, so this is the start of it. Added another piece on the outside edge, because it didn’t look correct from the side of the truck. I will put the receiver tube in the middle of the rear of the frame and the bumper will have a cutout so it will slide over.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
That was my 2nd choice behind the sterling actually. I just felt like for the trucks intended use it was kinda a waste to go that large. Now if my plan was to thrash on it in the rocks it woulda no question on the 14B. I’m not disagreeing with you, I just felt going that large was outside the parameters for what I’m doing with it.
The problem is that most 60 rears are the same 30 splines at the spiders as a 44. I've seen two of them broken in surprisingly mild situations. At this point I'd just keep an eye out for a spare shaft or two.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The problem is that most 60 rears are the same 30 splines at the spiders as a 44. I've seen two of them broken in surprisingly mild situations. At this point I'd just keep an eye out for a spare shaft or two.
I’m in agreement when it’s a crawler type application, but this is a daily driver resto mod that will tow my buggy

41 - 60 of 65 Posts