Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a montero air locker. And a toy axle fits in it. Has anyone ever put these diffs in a toyota?? I got it for compatabilty. On a toy. If I can't find any info. It will be for sale. Like 300. In 93225. Any help fellas

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have a montero air locker. And a toy axle fits in it. Has anyone ever put these diffs in a toyota?? I got it for compatabilty. On a toy. If I can't find any info. It will be for sale. Like 300. In 93225. Any help fellas
i need help trying to figure out what you are trying to say.

you have a montero air locker...is it stock or arb?

and a toy axle fits in it...what do you mean. the axle shaft slide through?

·
Registered
340 Posts
which locker did you get? 28 spline, 31 spline or 34 spline? and what Toy axle are you using? I'm pretty sure all the Toyota axle variants are smaller than their Montero equivalent. I'm interested to hear what axle and diff you matched up.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
montero locker

I have an original montero locking diff. Has the hose on the outside. I heard bout em. So went and bought 1. I slid a toy 30 spline axle shaft into the diff. And it went right in. So the toy shafts would work. My question is. Has anyone ever used these in a toyota housing. And what was involved?? And. Do the montero guys like em. ?? Do they work well. Any issues? I saw they have like a 4 63 or so ratio. Any help is appreciated. Tony

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
i have one in my rig.

it works. no problems yet.

but if the diaphram in the pumpkin ever starts leaking air then it is hell to fix it. no new parts any more either.

good thing i have two extra ones!:grinpimp:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have an original montero locking diff. Has the hose on the outside. I heard bout em. So went and bought 1. I slid a toy 30 spline axle shaft into the diff. And it went right in. So the toy shafts would work. My question is. Has anyone ever used these in a toyota housing. And what was involved?? And. Do the montero guys like em. ?? Do they work well. Any issues? I saw they have like a 4 63 or so ratio. Any help is appreciated. Tony
Montero lockers are 28 spline, 31 spline or 34 spline. I would double check your fit, As for experience with Montero lockers I like mine in my Montero's they have been reliable and that's with crawler gears, rock crawling, 35's and 200k miles.

sell your montero and buy a toyota-thats some real help
He has a toyota and he's wanting to use Montero parts. Learn to read and comprehend before you post next time.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rear diff

Thx for the input. But that axles shaft from a 30 spline went into the diff snug. But will double ck that. So. U guys are sayn. Monteros have 28. 31. And 34 spline?? That's info to me. Thx. I knew a guy in the 4wd club. Had like a late 80s montero. And told me he installed the 3rd member. From a newer montero. And got the factory compressor too. Bolted right in. He said. So I got 1. To ck it out

·
Registered
131 Posts
Been running an air locer rear from a 98 in my 87 for over a year now with 35's and it is awesome. Getting ready to put another from a 94 into my 88. The disc brakes that are also on them are a lot better than the drum brakes with bigger tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 95 Montero SR. Wheeled it a fair amount on 33's. The factory air locker worked great. I'm running an fj40 on 35's and have been wondering if it would be possible to run the whole montero 3rd. I think they are both 9.5 ring gear and the montero came with nice low gears.

Probably a pipe dream, but.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just swap the complete Montero axle in, that would be the easiest route. Montero ratios for the 9.5" are 4.27, 4.63, 4.90 and 5.29 (5.29's come from the mitsu 9" and require machining of the bolt holes in the ring gear to fit).

I think it would be a good swap for an old cruiser considering it's got discs, air locker and slightly stronger than the semi float toyota equivalent not to mention about $800 cheaper than buying a locking 80 series axle or buying ARB.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Some got LSD and very few 92-93 LS came with an air locker.

But yes as a general rule all '94-99 SR and cold climate package trucks came with a rear air locker

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just fallowing up on this. I have a rear axle out of a 94 montero with the air locker that I'm swapping into a s-10 blazer. I wanted to confirm what the spline count is so I pulled a shaft to check. The toyota shafts do not fit. The toy shaft will fit into the mitsu carrier but does not fit right. I checked a toy side gear on the shaft and no go. It does fit a ford 31 spline side gear though. Pic for reference

Ford side gear

Toy side gear

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mitsu stuff works with it's Ford counterpart, 28 and 31 spline 9". As for Toyota compatibility you could run a Mitsu center with Toyota outers using Ford 9"/Toyota 8" Hybrid shafts.

I just recently swapped a Montero axle under my Hilux, that's kind of like compatible or as compatible as any other 6 lug axle swap. At least the brake lines threaded together :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a '84 Toyota 8" live axle in the front of the '93 Lux, but now it's all being rebuilt on my '82 Mighty Max (a real bastard)

The idea being that both my trucks are near matching, my Mighty Max/Hilux hybrid runs Mits 9.5" in the rear and a Toyota 8" front with high steer and My Montero runs the Mits 9.5" rear and a Rock Assault Toyota 8" front obviously with high steer. So i only need 1 set of trail spares for TREs and birfs (Original Longfields in one and Trailgear Longfields in the other)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts