Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How early is too early to wheel Montrose? Snow wise, how late in the year would you wait to wheel there in a buggy?

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
If you are going that far be sure to hit up some of the other spots within a few hours of Montrose.

·
Registered
450 Posts
its raining today so all the snow will be gone and just some mud should dry up in a few days

·
Registered
507 Posts
While we're on the subject of Montrose, how many good, hard days of buggy wheeling are in the area? I'm making the trip in the spring.

·
Registered
376 Posts
While we're on the subject of Montrose, how many good, hard days of buggy wheeling are in the area? I'm making the trip in the spring.
You could spend a day each at Rangely, Grand Junction, Montrose, and Farmington. Then you have Penrose and Buena Vista areas a couple hours east of Montrose.
Montrose area itself has at least two days of terrain.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
This thread may help:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1715882-co-14-trip-planning.html

We only spent 1 day in Montrose (in built Jeeps) and it was not enough time.

Of all the places we went, I would have put more time in there (especially with a buggy).

I would plan for a minimum of 2 days if you are going.

The local guys are awesome BTW - you may want to try to reach out to them before you go.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks! We'll have about 7 days to wheel, want to hit as much good stuff and places as possible. That thread will help.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Montrose is my favorite place to wheel in CO. We've done trips where we hit all the hard-core trails in a weekend (before Boulder Canyon and Death Row were around). We got lucky and didn't have any breakage though. Nowadays, we generally hit Boulder Canyon, and if we have enough rigs left over we'll hit the others. ;)

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Thanks! We'll have about 7 days to wheel, want to hit as much good stuff and places as possible. That thread will help.
We wheeled for 8 days and had a pretty agressive schedule.

Learning from our experiences over the years:

Must do trails
- Holy Cross (1 day)
- Carnage (1 day)
- Montrose (2 - 3 days)

Penrose trails were great but it is a long run from the trails on the western side of the state (you may hit them on your way home while heading east??)

The scenic stuff in the San Juans is unlike anything you have ever experienced but it is mostly 2WD. That being said, I would recommend it to anyone in any kind of vehicle.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You can't even get close to Holy Cross until July though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You can't even get close to Holy Cross until July though.
I hate that about our trip but mid may is what we're limited to this yr. I have a friend coming with me in his built jeep that lived in CO for yrs and has wheeled most of the stuff there. I'm hoping we can hit all the major stuff south of I-70 and that the snow will be gone there.

Were you in Moab last april? Pretty sure we passed a rockware 3 seater when I was getting towed out of the rim trail one Saturday night.
I see you're in Arvada, happen to know Hunter Sparrow?

·
Registered
774 Posts
It is out of the way for most peoples trips but the rangely park has enough for a day as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a quick note to anyone coming to Montrose from out of this area.Boulder is closed from Dec 1 to April 15. I don't think that is common knowledge for out of state visitors. I would hate to see some one drive a long distance and miss one of the best trails. The rest of the trails are open year round but we do get snow and Death Row is not drivable if it is wet. It is hard enough when it is dry. Hope to see some of you hear in the spring.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah, I know Hunter! Haven't seen him in a while, but he's great guy. Hoping to catch up with him at KOH.

Didn't make it to Moab last year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts