Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
"lunar resources that will help the United States establish a long-term human presence on the moon"

I think the idea is to leave the resources up there, not bring them back.
Yes and no.

They want the Helium-3 for future fusion energy projects. There was an excellent documentary on this called Iron Sky.

·
Random Dude
908 Posts

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
I just don't see how it's even close to being economically feasible if even physically possible with current technology. With current technology, it takes an ENORMOUS amount of fuel to get to the moon and back just carrying a few astronauts and minimal payload.
Dude, the Moon is only 250 000 miles away. Mars is 1 400 000 miles away (on average).

You gotta bring take out to these dudes, which is what SpaceX is planning on.

what if it lands in china?
They already own the Dark side of the Moon. It's always dark there.

O

·
Registered
13,579 Posts
The only way to make it economical would be to have a mag rail catapult to give the initial boost towards space to a low orbit space station from there you would need a ship designed for space travel so it wouldn't need to be as strong, take it to lunar orbit then a shuttle down, reverse for coming back to earth

·
Registered
13,579 Posts
Cant they just throw the minerals and gold off of the moon,and let it fall down to the earth?
Burn up in the atmosphere. Read the moon is a harsh mistress you would have to control it down. The way Heinlein did was to pack grain in his book in steel containers add simple rockets to slow it down and bring it down in a controled way into the ocean

·
Registered
13,579 Posts
Dude, the Moon is only 250 000 miles away. Mars is 1 400 000 miles away (on average).

You gotta bring take out to these dudes, which is what SpaceX is planning on.
Or you could launch off the moon slingshot around the earth and aim where the mars would be when you get there.
Heinleins the "Rolling Stones" describes it

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Or you could launch off the moon slingshot around the earth and aim where the mars would be when you get there.
Heinleins the "Rolling Stones" describes it
No, man, FFS.

You CAN'T slingshot off the Moon, without rights to do so. There are costs involved.

Ask D.D. Harriman

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
This type venture will also help create the tools to negate an apocalyptic meteor strike.

Why would we want to negate an apocalyptic meteor strike? That's the only hope the humanity has... :laughing:

The only way to make it economical would be to have a mag rail catapult to give the initial boost towards space to a low orbit space station from there you would need a ship designed for space travel so it wouldn't need to be as strong, take it to lunar orbit then a shuttle down, reverse for coming back to earth

No, man, FFS.

You CAN'T slingshot off the Moon, without rights to do so. There are costs involved.

Ask D.D. Harriman

Some excellent quotes there! :lmao:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I've seen ghosts of mars. These motherfuckers are gonna release the ghosts of the fuckin moon. Aint nobody got no got damned time for that

·
Registered
'73 Scout
10,431 Posts
Gee that approach sound a whole lot like what Heinlein proposed in Moon is a Harsh mistress in 1966.

But then thats been said on several occasions previously so..........................................................................Never mind.:D

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Now you see why we have a Space Force. Just add some Starship Troopers to protect our interests against foreign powers or Bugs. Winning! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
13,579 Posts
Gee that approach sound a whole lot like what Heinlein proposed in Moon is a Harsh mistress in 1966.

But then thats been said on several occasions previously so..........................................................................Never mind.:D
I'd like to say I thunk about it myself, but I discovered Heinlein back in the dark ages of 1967 in Jr High.
:D

21 - 40 of 54 Posts