Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Rudezuk said:
Late 70's to early 80's

These are the same. The earlier poly 318's do not interchange. These are easily identified by the odd shaped valve covers. The later model "Magnum" engines have different heads/intake manifolds but the trans will still attach. Easy way to identify a Magnum is that the bolts that hold on the intake manifold are straight up vertical ( I ) while on the earlier non magnum heads the intake manifold bolds are more perpendicular to the intake manifold/head nounting surface. ( \ ) (Does that make sense??)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
EarlKann said:
These are the same. The earlier poly 318's do not interchange. These are easily identified by the odd shaped valve covers. The later model "Magnum" engines have different heads/intake manifolds but the trans will still attach. Easy way to identify a Magnum is that the bolts that hold on the intake manifold are straight up vertical ( I ) while on the earlier non magnum heads the intake manifold bolds are more perpendicular to the intake manifold/head nounting surface. ( \ ) (Does that make sense??)

Don't forget that on the Magnums the oiling system is different as well if it matters to anyone...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just removed a 1985 318 and installed a 84 360. the 360 had no intake at the time i bought it. So I put the intake off the 318 on the 360. worked great. It also bolted right up to the 727 with no problems. I did how ever have to replace the torque converter because of the balance issue. one is ballanced and the other is not. It does make a differance. I dont remember which one is which tho. hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
It's also important to note that on the early '70s era 360s the ports were a lot larger than the 318s. The intake will still bolt up, but there will be a step in a lot of cases. Later '70s and '80s 318s and 360s used the same heads, so it's not a problem on those.

·
Registered
464 Posts
the 318 is neutral balance while the 360 is external balance (weight on converter). you can run a 318 converter if you use a B&M balanced flex-plate.

·
Registered
211 Posts
On the later 318's and 360's, only the 318 4bbl had the same size ports as the 360. example: A 1983 diplomat with a 4 bbl has the same size ports as a 1983 ramcharger/truck with a 360 2-bbl or 360 4-bbl. A 318 2-bbl is smaller. But that is not always bad. The 1985-89 318 2-bbl head with "302" as the last three in the head casting number are a closed chamber with heart-shaped combustion chambers. These will bolt onto any 318-360 and give a boost of atleast 1/2 point of compression, but I recommend some mild port work to fully take advantage of the increase.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
All 318s regardless of cast or forged crank are internally balanced. There is no problem running a 360 in front of a 904, just use the correct flexplate.
Travis..

·
Registered
681 Posts
are the flywheels the same from a 318 to a 360

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
They are balanced completely different and will not swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts