Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DKA Motorsports
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aiight well i got the head off my motor b/c i blew my head gasket, was a real pita to get that fawkin thing off. anyway, got it off, the head gasket is still in one piece, and actually looks like its in good shape. weird.... the coolant was definitely seeping out between the block and the head, so i guess its the gasket anyway. The motor only has like 60k miles on it,do ya think i am gonna have to get the block worked on too? on the head, around the coolant holes, some of them were kinda pitted and eroded. Is that repairable or is it time to start lookin for a new one? I'm takin the head to a machine shop anyway to have em resurface it and do a valve job on it. The timing chain and the guides are still in great shape, WHEW. saves me alot of trouble there. this is just my trail rig, but i really wanna get this thing fixed, i'm sick and tired of havin' a freakin yard ornament, wanna go wheelin!!:flipoff2:

·
Banned
471 Posts
About your head job!!

Man, if you just blew your head gasket, then I wouldn't think a valve job is necessary. Unless it was blowing the blues all the time. I would definitely resurface the head. The pits and erosion are depending on how deep they are. The machine shop will let you know. The resurfacing will help as well. If there is a ridge at the top of your cylinder wall, enough to grab your fingernail, then maybe you should look into it a little further. If you have maintained it then clean it all up, and slap it back together, then wheel away!!!

Kruzrtek

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Did you run a compression test before u pulled the head? If so, what were the readings? This will tell a lot about your bottom end since it sound like perhaps your head gasket might not have been bad.

·
DKA Motorsports
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no

no i didnt have the tools to do a compression check, but i definitely know that the head gasket failed because we could see the coolant leaking out right between the head and block, no doubt about it. i think the block should be okay, i dont see any ridges or anything like that. just gonna resurface and do a valve job and slap it all back on. However, i remember for a while when i was driving, when i would come to a stop, my rpms would drop waaaay down, almost like it was gonna stall, then come back up, and kinda fluctuate for a while, then steady out. any ideas on what that might be?

·
Registered
609 Posts
the coolant was probably low and the idle control mechanism was fluctuating the idle speed. I have seen tons of these heads do what you are talking about. The pitting and erosion is from electrolis and should be repairable. Somebody has to weld in new alluminum and then resuface the head. As to the external HG leak it sounds like you may have used a felpro blue HG. These things suck on toyotas. I had one on a brand new block and head and within 6 months it was leaking on the exhaust side, and the same thing happened to a customers 22rtec. try to get a hold of a HG with a lot of graphite in it, they last a lot longer and work really good on blocks that haven't been taken out to visit the machine chop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts