Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have searched. Found out that Chris (AZ) and Mudlite have run or currently them on their rigs. Does anyone else run it on their sammi and how is it working for you? I read threads for about 4 hours here and elsewhere and searched the net for info. I found Jeeps, Toys, Mazdas, etc...... I am looking for Sammi Specific stuff.

Thanks and to the normal smart asses and their great responses :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I love mine. Its been that way for 7 years with different tires and axles.

What did you want to know? How it is done? How it works?
Or do we like it? What problems are you having?

Only one suggestion, that I still have yet to do, Pin the rear.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mud. I have another zuk that I plan on building when I get back from my upcoming deployment and want to build a good, flexy suspension with a low lost. I think this could be it. I have been searching and have found a bunch of jheeps and toy pickups but very few Sammis with the 3/4 setup. I just want to see some pics of the suspension working well. I tried to open the link to your homepage but it isn't working. Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Shrock :flipoff2: :flipoff2: Man I haven't been allowed near that thing!!! I actually will get to work on it tomorrow though. :D I'll finally have it sitting on 4 tires. Then I get to tow it out behind the house and cover it up for 6 to 8 months. Hope it doesn't rust to death while I'm gone. Oh, what's the latested on the super secret prototype?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mudlite, what do you mean by pin the rear? Rich wants to gain more flex out of Rambo, so we are thinking of doing buggies leafs front and rear on his heep!

I am just curious, but why don't we see more 3/4 elliptical suspension on the trails, especially on the rocks?

Chris

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There are times when the 3/4 will hinder trail prowice. Like coming down steep inclines, the back end tends to get alittle light. On the rare occasion the back end will try to catch the front end when you are loading up against the rocks.

To fix the problem you can have a removable pin to hold the buggy leaf in place for on road driving or in places where you know it will give you a problem.

Flex always comes with some sort of comprimise. This could come in the way of roadability, too much body roll..etc.

I have been happy with my 3/4. It is simple, cheap , effective , and maintenace free. I wouldn't do it on a daily driver though :eek:

My page should be up if you want to see pics.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've had a 3/4 on my LWB Sami for about 6 years now and have had no problems with it. I use it as a bit of a daily driver too and have had no adverse driving response from it. I am still running SPUA but with 34" swampers and for a while a welded rear end. It is cheap and works well. In the time i have had it I haven't had to replace any springs Ubolts etc. The only problem I can see is making sure the spring that attaches to the frame is supported as the wide track Samis run the springs slightly outboard of the frame unlike the narrow track (like mine) which run under the frame.

There are some pics of the setup on our website

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am having trouble with suspension terminology.
I was under the understanding that an eliptical suspension was made by cutting a spring pack almost in half, attaching the forward half (for the rear springs) to the frame, and the rear end of the spring directly to the rear axle.

And that the Buggy leaf / goofy link Was a single spring cut and attached to the frame. The full leaf spring would attach normally at the front, and at the rear, it would attach to a shackle that attaches to the spring that is attached to the frame.
Check out this link and please set me straight.

http://www.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-suspterm.html

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What are you confused about? That link explains it all (I think)

Here, this might help clear up the mud too
I was under the understanding that an eliptical suspension was made by cutting a spring pack almost in half, attaching the forward half (for the rear springs) to the frame, and the rear end of the spring directly to the rear axle
That is a 1/4 elliptic suspension

And that the Buggy leaf / goofy link Was a single spring cut and attached to the frame. The full leaf spring would attach normally at the front, and at the rear, it would attach to a shackle that attaches to the spring that is attached to the frame.
and that is a buggy/goofy lear also known as a 3/4 elliptical

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanx NC,
I can be a little dense sometimes.:emb4:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Samurai's have a 1/2 eleptic suspentition stock, 3/4 eleptic suspention is the goofie leaf. An elipse is a circle, 1/2 circle is stock samurai, 3/4 is stock samurai + another 1/2 samurai = 3/4 eleptical setup, 1/4 eleptic setup is 1/2 a stock samurai.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanx Nowhere,
Makes sense when you look at it like that.
ORC down or what?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.