Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my dumb ass made another mistake. putting the 350 in front of my TH400 I bought the 4WD hardware adapter to hook them together. well put them together and sat it all in there and had it 90% hooked up and remembered I didn't put the 3 flywheel spacers in yet(engine was sitting on ground so coudn't til engine was in) well they won't fit and the holes on flywheel dont' line up with the converter anyway....seems flywheel is to small or converter is too big. 4WDhardware said maybe the tranny shop that rebuilt my tranny gave me a GM converter and not a AMC converter(you would thing a GM would bolt to a GM)...well tranny shop says that I have the wrong flywheel, cuz that converter is the one that goes with the TH400 tranny....I need the 168 tooth. anyone that has done this have ideas what the issue could be? either way it all has to come back out......the joys of a engine swap.

saw a mustand with a 327/th350 and 6 point cage!! hows that for a swap!!

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Donny O ]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I havent personally owned a t400 before, but from what I recall most chevy flywheels have both bolt patterns..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Rockslut.:
<STRONG>Seems like it would be easier and cleaner to get a GM bolt pattern TH400</STRONG>
that thought crossed my mind after i already had my th400 rebuilt and had bought the adapter.....not sure if tha twould bolt up to my xfer case either. I should have got a different tranny and xfer case....my buddy had one sitting there that he isn't gonna use that would have been cheaper than rebuilding my tranny and the adapter.....but then that might have meant different drive shafts and I was trying to not spend a truckload of money.....it's a learning experience I guess!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Quadra Trac will not bolt up to a Chevy bolt pattern TH400. To make the Chevy tranny work all you need to do is to take the rear housing and shaft and swap it from you AMC 400 to the Chevy. Why not just go with the Chevy TH400 and the 205 case? Oh and since your tranny was just rebuilt you can swap all your internals into the Chevy case as well.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: JeepFreak ]

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Yup, you should have had all your AMC internals put into a GM case, used a GM torque converter and maybe input shaft. That way you wouldn't have had to use any adapter on the engine end and could have used you factory adapter on the transfercase end. Any chance you can send your adapter back?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Grandpa Jeep:
<STRONG>Yup, you should have had all your AMC internals put into a GM case, used a GM torque converter and maybe input shaft. That way you wouldn't have had to use any adapter on the engine end and could have used you factory adapter on the transfercase end. Any chance you can send your adapter back?</STRONG>
no it is too late to do any of that. I never thought of any of that when I was planning the swap and didn't realise I could jsut chage cases. I am not the expert that many of you are....like I said it is a learning experience as I havne't done much of this kind of stuff!!

I appreciate the replies, but this isn't really solving my problem....I have to much money invested to start changing cases and all of that now....I jsut need to know what flywheel and converter I can use to make this work now. I am assuming I can go to the bigger flywheel and be ok, but need a confirmation from someone who might know....before I go spending more money that doesn't need to be spent!! right now I jsut need to get this thing mobile so I can get it out of my buddies garage....before his dad decides to hav eit towed to the junk yard....it's been there for almsot 2 years(didn't work on it for most of that time). so please help me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is more what I am looking for but it didn't really say anything about what flywheel and converter is needed for the th400.....so I assume whatever is in there stock should work. I guess I will figure it out when I tear it apart. hope that spacer that went onto the end of the crank doesn't need to come out.....that was a bitch to get in!! i'm getting frustrated cuz I wanna drive my jeep!!

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No the pilot bushing you put on the end of the crank will stay in. I have done this conversion once. I then figured out is was easier and cheaper to just change cases. I hope you get it and I understand your frustrations!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Well, I have never done this swap myself, but if the holes in the flexplate won't line up with the torque converter it sounds like you have the wrong flexplate. Do you have one for maybe a TH350 or a Powerglide? I think at this point you need to take it apart go down to the parts store with your torque converter and see if you can find one that fits. Not sure how the starter alignment works with that adapter, but keep that in mind too. If you need to, you can get a different starter too. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts