Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the third Toyota dealer today and got a "bingo!". They were supercool to me - I'm going to them for anything from now on. I asked for the FSM, they let me stand at the TIS computer to look up my truck myself. My truck was apparently too old for TIS, so they let me take the FSM and Wiring Guide home with me to study and copy. No money, no collateral, nothing.

I just photocopied the whole cruise control section and now I can get to work. You can bet I'm buying all my parts from them from now on. I couldn't have asked for better customer service.

I've learned there is a simple diagnostic procedure to pull codes from the cruise computer. The cruise system itself is pretty damn simple - it's only 30 pages of the FSM to cover everything.

Anyhow, that's my update.

Hef

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soopatoy said:
well, where is this place?
Stamford Toyota of Stamford, CT. Phone is 203.348.6141, that's the parts counter. Malik Prachka is the parts guy. Dan is the man at the service desk, and Frank is the head tech. Prices are pretty good on parts too - I've shopped a few Toy dealers and these guys are usually lowest or just slighty above.

:D

Hef

·
Registered
416 Posts
since you have a factor manual and your looking at cruise,try to figure this out for me.(thought about this a year ago but never really tryed to make it work)
anyways the idea was to use the cruise control buttons as a hand throttle.
accel would raise rpm's,coast would lower rpm's,cancel would shut it off.
I thought you could just bypass all the wires going to the brake,clutch,anything that normally turns it off.what is the cruise control reading rpm or mph.if rpm then it should be simple.if it goes to a vss or speedo then I don't think it will work.

it would be nice to have hand throttle controls in the steering wheel,and you could still use it as a cruise control also :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
As near as I can tell my 88 pulls it's cruise signal from the speedometer gauge itself. Cant see the hand throttle idea working myself but I have never really dug into what makes it work.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan 0 said:
since you have a factor manual and your looking at cruise,try to figure this out for me.(thought about this a year ago but never really tryed to make it work)
anyways the idea was to use the cruise control buttons as a hand throttle.
accel would raise rpm's,coast would lower rpm's,cancel would shut it off.
I thought you could just bypass all the wires going to the brake,clutch,anything that normally turns it off.what is the cruise control reading rpm or mph.if rpm then it should be simple.if it goes to a vss or speedo then I don't think it will work.

it would be nice to have hand throttle controls in the steering wheel,and you could still use it as a cruise control also :)
The cruise computer *apparently* gets speed info from an electrical signal generated at the gauge cluster (? I hope I'm right in saying that) by the speedo cable. The cruise computer and ECU talk to each other, so I'm not sure if it would as simple as you'd like it to be. Also, the Set/Resume buttons fill multiple functions with only 2 wires into the wiring harness. Figuring out how to integrate that would be best left to someone with an EE background.

Sorry, I have alot of reading and comprehending to do before I know cruise control well enough to discuss modifying it.

Hef

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Yes, the cruise (on my '85) got its info from the gauge cluster.
My cruise worked even after I swapped in the 4.3 and 700R4.
......and I play an EE at work :D

Jay

·
Banned
88 Posts
How easy/difficult is it to install
1. Cruise Control
2. ABS (Anti-lock Break Sys)
on a 2003 Toyota 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) engine That is transplanted on a 92 Toyota 4x4 p/u that had a 3.0L V6 (3VZ-E).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the back ofthe speedometer on the non-electronic speedo trucks.

I thought about doing the buttons to control the CC servo for a hand throttle, it should work, but you probably want to bypass the CC unit. Just tap into the wires at the servo, two valves there, one opens to vacuum, one to the air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts