Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From what I've read, the C4 and C5 are basically the same tranny. So here's the question: can I use a C5 lock up converter in a C4? Is there a kit to retro fit a lock up conveter into a C4??

Any tech links on this topic?

TIA!!

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
i did some looking around and it seems as if the lockup on the c5 converter is controlled by the c5's "secondary" valve body, i think it's called the timing circut or something..

so i think physically the TQ qould fit but you wouldn't have any lockup function

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
just put the C-5 valve body in the C-4

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I've found is that I'd have to use a C5 bellhousing due to the C5 converter being deeper??? Beyond that, all I've found is people trying to get rid of the lock up converter.........

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You fail to think about the fluid passages needed for the secondary valvebody to be functional. Even if you did install the C5 valvebody and the torque converter (assuming it fits properly)...I'm 95% sure that the only thing you'd end up with is a poor shifting c4 without a lockup converter.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
I just rebuilt my kid's 83 BII C5 and it was a non-lockup converter but has the timing valve body. From what I gathered there's an extra set of splines at the end of the input shaft for the C5 transmissions that use a lockup converter and they were used in passenger cars. I haven't seen this to validate that info, so I'm passing it along as I got it from a tranny guy I asked. By the way, I did this as a conversion to get rid of the lousy A4LD in his 85 BII. It was a lot of work, but it was worth the reliability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts