Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Be sure to check out this thread for some pics from Carnage for the Cause.

Did a little wheeling the day before Carnage, but a single locker and no power steering and a bent drag link was not a good combination for my buddy. (Check out that fine steering wheel control.)

So he let his 7 year old drive on the flats for the rest of the weekend until he popped a u-joint and fragged the flange on a bad clutching lesson.

How about a poser shot?

-Wayne :grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, were did the sun go?

What do you mean you don't have any spare u-joint straps? (aka: Oh shit)

A bunch of winching and he still has a long way to go, and is blocking the only way through... Did I mention the Broncos are now behind us and also blocked? Luckily after a few hours of this they found some spare parts and the jeep was going again. We decided to let them go ahead since they helped us. Too bad their third vehicle blew an ECU on the same obstacle! About 2 more hours and they had it figured out and we got the hell out of of there... Yep, the last obstacle, and no real food and some did not bring good jackets.

On the way out

More traffic...

I'm not cold... Until I gave my spare jacket to someone else.. But I had my ski gloves.

That is it for pictures. After I got some warm food and a little campfire time I tried to hang with Crazy Chris in his Tube Samurai and Eric's Purple Nurple (piloted by Randy) but was way outclassed. The Purple Nurple just floats over the terrain and eats up trail.

The plan was a quick run of Sledgehammer. Since ran it just a week ago, I thought this might be a lot of fun, and I wanted to see these two other rigs perform. They blasted up the trail with ease. I got to the first "real" obstacle of the trail and got a little hung up. While working the line I blew a front Toyota birfield and decided it best to just turn around and head back to camp. I was only slowing down the lighter and longer rigs. I was beating my rig about as hard as I dare, and they pulled away like I was parked. I'm just not that willing to bash my rig. But I did have a great time trying. :D

So back to the campfire for some fun. I was expecting a lot of crazy stuff from the Tin Benders camp since they won the Carnage non-event, but they were pretty quiet.. Then again it was 2am. Off to bed.

Sunday morning I loaded into the back of my buddies 4Runner and we hit After Shock with my club members that were there. Had a great run.

Total breakage for my group was a u-joint clamp and cap, rear drive shaft, and my birfield.

This was really my first trip on tough trails with well built (non-suzuki) trail rigs. I was very pleased with it's performance compared to the other vehicles.

I'll be upgraded to some better birfields before the next trip.

p.s. If you are in So Calif this weekend think about joining my club for our Toys 4 Tots event. We have a great raffle and a lot of fun. More info here.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Originally posted by rotozuk Total breakage for my group was a u-joint clamp and cap, rear drive shaft, and my birfield.

I'll be upgraded to some better birfields before the next trip.

Maybe you need to be introduced to MR.44 :)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crab Bait said:
Maybe you need to be introduced to MR.44 :)
Oh, I have been introduced to Mr. 44. Why do you think those Bronco's were going so slow? One guy busted both sides.

Just time to invest in some real parts for the Toy axle now. I am kindof surprised that I busted a birf so early. I knew it was a matter of time for the stock units, but I thought I would get a few more months out of them.

Then again I was driving "Crab Bait" style on that trail. You know, "Sit down, buckle up, and shut up.. This is going to hurt.."

I'm wondering if the Zuk weighs more than I thought. Need to get it on a scale...

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
rotozuk said:
Just time to invest in some real parts for the Toy axle now. I am kindof surprised that I busted a birf so early. I knew it was a matter of time for the stock units, but I thought I would get a few more months out of them.
I wasn't suprised, you cursed yourself not 3 hours earlier on outer limits :flipoff2: . for those who weren't there, I asked wayne if he had the longs in his yota axles and the response I got was, "naw, I haven't needed them yet. I'm gonna run these ones till I break :D ".

I had a great time on outer limits and aftershock with you wayne. when I get my bronco done we'll have to break it in (not literally) on one of those trails.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scwafish said:
How was Outerlimits? Difficulty? Its next on my list when we come back down in Feb. or March.
It's a nice trail, you'll enjoy it. Better leave Bill's rig at camp though. I don't think it is as tough as Sledge, but more obstacles. Most obstacles have more then one line to pick from. Makes things interesting. It did not show signs of heavy stacking like someother trails. I'm guessing it gets a little less traffic becuase it is a ways away from camp. I had heard it was really tough. It is not.

As Rusty said, he really likes the trail, and thinks it makes a great night run because the headlights look great on the canyon walls.

Getting back to camp from the top was a mystery to me. I followed the tail lights in the dark. That seems to be the real trick to this trail is finding it, and getting off it.

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RedNeckRea said:

I wasn't suprised, you cursed yourself not 3 hours earlier on outer limits :flipoff2: . for those who weren't there, I asked wayne if he had the longs in his yota axles and the response I got was, "naw, I haven't needed them yet. I'm gonna run these ones till I break :D ".

I had a great time on outer limits and aftershock with you wayne. when I get my bronco done we'll have to break it in (not literally) on one of those trails.
Yeah, and I was bugging Jaime that he was actually going to finish a tough trail without breaking... A few obstacles later he was busted. A bit before busting the birf I made some comment about not breaking anything yet... Look out, or I'll make a comment about your rig. :D

Let me know when you get the little pony running. :flipoff2:

-Wayne

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
you didn't get any pics of sundays aftershock run did you wayne?

·
Registered
863 Posts
rotozuk said:

Oh, I have been introduced to Mr. 44. Why do you think those Bronco's were going so slow? One guy busted both sides.

Then again I was driving "Crab Bait" style on that trail. You know, "Sit down, buckle up, and shut up.. This is going to hurt.."

I'm wondering if the Zuk weighs more than I thought. Need to get it on a scale...

Hmmm broke 44's must have been stock axles, you know FORD guys
...Got me the 'pretty' axles from CTM

Glad you took up my driving habits
I'm itch'n to go riding!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Why the hell would anyone waiste their time putting a damn dana 44 in their sammi. Seriously with all the toyota upgrades you'll be more than safe. Toyota weighs less. Doesn't leak out the diff cover! Is cheaper to upgrade with either profields or longfields and chromolly shafts, than CTM's and warn shafts for the 44. And if my junk can survive with the longfields and stock shafts rock racing through all the hammer trails on 39.5's then I'm sure most everyone else's can survive. So enough with the 44 B.S..
:rolleyes:
Hey Wayne you can get the new Profields from AllPro for 79 bucks a pop so get on it cause you're gunna need em for New Years!

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Great pics wayne. Unfortunately I didn't get very many thanks to dead batteries. Lemmie know next time you're comin down here and we can think up some crazy shit for robbys rig :D

Dallas

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crab Bait said:
Hmmm broke 44's must have been stock axles, you know FORD guys
...Got me the 'pretty' axles from CTM

Glad you took up my driving habits
I'm itch'n to go riding!
Don't know what they had in there.. Those Fords are heavy though..

I still don't get into the turbo while in the rocks.. Well, only occasionally. :D

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ThePurpleNerple said:

Hey Wayne you can get the new Profields from AllPro for 79 bucks a pop so get on it cause you're gunna need em for New Years!
Yep.. Going to be making the call today. I'm debating the chromo inners. I'm thinking if you get away with the stock inners then I should be fine...? What do you think?

-Wayne

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Personally I'd run the stock inners if I were you. Upgrading the shafts make the R&P or the hubs the weak link. R&P are a pain to have to change out and much more expensive than just buying another stock inner from me for $35 bucks! Wheel hubs suck to change out as well. Stick with the stockers for now.
:p

·
Registered
863 Posts
ThePurpleNerple said:
Personally I'd run the stock inners if I were you. Upgrading the shafts make the R&P or the hubs the weak link. R&P are a pain to have to change out and much more expensive than just buying another stock inner from me for $35 bucks! Wheel hubs suck to change out as well. Stick with the stockers for now.
:p
And you just said something about 'with all the toyota upgrades you'll be more than safe'

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Crab Bait said:
And you just said something about 'with all the toyota upgrades you'll be more than safe'
Keep in mind that Eric is running 39" tires and hasn't busted one yet. But Chris has, but he beats the tar out of his rig. You would have to see some video of him in action... Makes you look timid. Last I heard he was challenging people to 2wd action off his trailer. He's a crack up.

-Wayne

1 - 20 of 33 Posts