Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so Ive got 5:89s and 6.5's in the casewith 38.5 tires and a 1.3 on pane and I'm thinking it might not be enough for serious crawling. I've looked at the kickers,rockblock,klune ect for more gearing, but im not really looking to change the tranny.

Are there any other options im missing possibly less $$$. Or can someone just make me feel better and tell me it will be low enough for rubicon/fordyce kinda wheeling. Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got the pretty much the same set up, minus the rear steer, add .3 liters to my motor and 1 inch larger tire and leafs all around. It is good for me on stock axles, but would be afraid to put any more torque on any of my stock parts. I wheel some pretty rocky terrain and some steep drop offs, hill climbs, rock climbs, etc. and I think it is a good for me. I haven't been to Rubicon or Fordyce, but would like to think that I wouldn't be the weakest link in a group of moderate wheelers.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
I felt mine was right at the cusp of not being low enough. I had 1.3, 5 spd, 6:1 case and 5.29 toy axles on 35s. If I was going up something steep and technical, it seemed kinda easy to stall it. For regular trails it was fine. I think with that big of a tire, you will find you want more gear, or more engine.
Travis..

·
Registered
344 Posts
I run the rock block and that made a huge difference in low range. It fits between the trans & t case on it's own cross member but as far as I know TT isn't making it right now because of a cost increase.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at that or making a non shifted version since the truck never see's road use

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Has anyone built a planitary reduction type shaft for the intermediate shaft, I search and it looks like tim hardy might have but I couldnt get any good info on it

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
There was talk earlier this year about that intermediate shaft reduction thing. I believe it was from a forklift axle planetary. Keep searching, its there somewhere. I do understand the not wanting to change trannies, but at the moment, there just isn't a lot of options out there. Just have to get creative. I thought at one time useing a stock zuk tranny as a doubler. Cut out the un-important parts and its pretty small. Just the input shaft is so small I know it would break. I did find at the u-pull it, a very tiny 3 speed manual tranny from an old truck. Almost looked like a t-18, but it wasn't. Not sure what it was, but it could have worked with some inginuity. Still may look back into this one day!

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I found that one but I couldnt get the link in the second post to work, so no info...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts