Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to ask such a "newbee" type question but I do not have a lot of experience with this kind of thing. Anyways, my '76 F100 is lifted but, not enough. All I have ever done to this point "truck wise" is installed a "bolt-on" lift kit. I have done a few of those but being, "bolt on" they obviously aren't hard to do.

What is a good/cheap way to get more lift? The most I can find is a 6" lift kit (which it already has) and it has a 3" body lift as well. I was hoping to get another 4"+ of suspension lift. Someone mentioned shackles, someone else just welding some "spacers" (square steel tubing) to where the leaf springs mount. The front seems as "simple" as longer springs/shocks but I am not sure about how that effects the radius arms and all of that stuff.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Why the hell do you need more than 9" of total lift? If you need more than that you must be from florida, in the back do a shackle flip it will get you another 3-4 inches if the springs are in good shape. Up front you can get longer springs or drop the coil buckets on the frame but you will also need to drop the trac bar and steering to keep them in the same plane to aid with bumpsteer, also the radius arm mount will need to be dropped to keep the caster and camber in line but you may need to rotate the housing somewhat for pinion angle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why the hell do you need more than 9" of total lift? If you need more than that you must be from florida, in the back do a shackle flip it will get you another 3-4 inches if the springs are in good shape. Up front you can get longer springs or drop the coil buckets on the frame but you will also need to drop the trac bar and steering to keep them in the same plane to aid with bumpsteer, also the radius arm mount will need to be dropped to keep the caster and camber in line but you may need to rotate the housing somewhat for pinion angle.
Well, the plan was to get more suspension lift so I can ditch the body lift because it looks like sh*t. Than you for your input! I have been looking for coil springs the last hour or so and can't seem to find anything. 4" inner diameter with a 23"~ load height is what I am looking for I think. Stock spring load height is 13"...

everything I am finding is just "vehicle specific" with no actual specs listed...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Also, any good DIY shackle flips threads out there? I am google'ing but not coming up with a whole lot yet...

also, I see a lot of Chevy guys doing it... Will a shackle mount from the front of a rear spring, mounted to the rear give me lift? that seems like it would be the cheapest/easiest way to do that. Chevy guys are saying 4"-6" from that...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here is a kit for doing the shackle flip made by sky: http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=180 If you are wanting to get enough clearance to ditch the body lift then you have a good plan I was thinking more along the lines of 10" suspension +3" bodylift=BGTL. You can also cut out the bottom of your rear spring hanger and then the shackle will come in from the bottom instead of the top but it is a good idea to gusset it afterwards since it is significantly weakened.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is a kit for doing the shackle flip made by sky: http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=180 If you are wanting to get enough clearance to ditch the body lift then you have a good plan I was thinking more along the lines of 10" suspension +3" bodylift=BGTL. You can also cut out the bottom of your rear spring hanger and then the shackle will come in from the bottom instead of the top but it is a good idea to gusset it afterwards since it is significantly weakened.
I found that kit last night but mine is a '76 and that says 78-97 so I wasn't sure if it would work. Either way, seems like I have the rear figured out. Now, I can get those SkyJacker 9" lift springs for the front which should get me close to level, if not, I can always get a 1"-2" coil spring spacer I guess. Other than shocks, what else am I going to have to mess with?

here is what I am planning on so far:

SkyJacker 179 coil springs (9" lift)
Probably move the coil spring buckets down a few inches
Sky shackle flip kit 4.5"~ added to the 6" already (maybe some shackles to add another 1" or 2"?)
shocks, I don't know can't find anything for more than 9" lift.

I am wanting a total of 12" suspension lift.

·
Banned
13,206 Posts

/thread

·
Registered
323 Posts
I found that kit last night but mine is a '76 and that says 78-97 so I wasn't sure if it would work. Either way, seems like I have the rear figured out. Now, I can get those SkyJacker 9" lift springs for the front which should get me close to level, if not, I can always get a 1"-2" coil spring spacer I guess. Other than shocks, what else am I going to have to mess with?

here is what I am planning on so far:

SkyJacker 179 coil springs (9" lift)
Probably move the coil spring buckets down a few inches
Sky shackle flip kit 4.5"~ added to the 6" already (maybe some shackles to add another 1" or 2"?)
shocks, I don't know can't find anything for more than 9" lift.

I am wanting a total of 12" suspension lift.
Drivelines, brake lines,radius arm brackets,panhard bar brackets, drop steering, etc.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some decent pictures of it finally. I know in a couple other threads people wanted to see some decent pics so...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brake lines are easy, drop steering should be easy as well, I need a new rear driveshaft anyways (broke mine last week) Saddler Powertrain is close to me and cheap too.

as for radius arms, I was planning to build my own. I am just trying to figure out the technical crap involved. I know how to do the actual fabrication work, just trying to figure out the length they should be and all of that good stuff.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I extended my radius arms 12 inches on my truck and used ballistic joints for the frame mount, whether it is right or not I couldn't tell you since I still have so much work to be done before mine is wheelable. The steering may be a little harder if it already has a drop pitman arm you may need to go with a crossover setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts