Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try a cheek rest project after reading Lilbuckets thread about sewing.I have a 77/17 with a low comb and rings that are too tall. The rifle is really nice and I don't want something taped or screwed on the stock.
A cheek rest with straps is what the doctor ordered. I know you can get them for less than $40 but I am recovering from back surgery at home, so I have a lot of free time.
I used an older Kenmore sewing machine that someone gave my wife. I have not used a sewing machine in 15 years and that was only for one little project. It took me quite a bit of reading to sort it out.

I used a chunk from a camping pad that I use as a shooting mat. Mocked it up with tape. I went and shot a few gophers to verify the height was correct.

I sewed it up using "outdoor" polyester thread, duck canvas, nylon webbing, sew in velcro and plastic webbing adjusters. The parts cost $9. There are components left over.
I made a pouch that closes on one end with velcro and slid the foam in.

Here it is mounted. I would change a few things if I did it again. I am satisfied with it though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know the machine could sew button holes until my wife pointed it out. I would put a series of button holes along the bottom edge and then lace the pad on with a cord instead of using straps. I think I would also make it smaller.

In two weeks I will be able to give it a real test. My brothers and I are heading west for some more prairie dog action.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice job.... Wanted to do the same thing on my savage 17. But bondo,krylon, an a dremel tool soon took over an went outta control

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
What keeps it from sliding forward?
I wondered this as well, and thought that a strap sewn to the rear most strap that went across the butt of the stock from one side to the other would keep it from sliding forward.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes there is a piece of velcro that wraps around the butt. I don't have a clear picture of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts