Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More taurus fan tech: CJ specific

So after installing my new (to me) 360 into my cj, I fired it up to tune it. When much to my dismay my waterpump decided to let go of the flange sending my fan into my oh so stock, fits perfect radiator...

So I decided it was pirate time and headed on down to the local pull-a-part and picked up one of these bad boys at the premium price of 15 bones.....

Put in a little sawsall time...

Cut it down to about 19" and notched the corner for hood latch clearance.

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I fit it into it's new home.

Now I know that this particular fan isnt quite as efficient when reversed so I decided to mount it it is same position but forward of the radiator.
Two high clearance issues called for this...
1. Cashflow
2. Cheap and/or free parts
Well as it turns out the CJ grill acts as a natural shroud forcing all the air through my new (well laying around takin up space so I'll make it work somehow) wagoneer radiator. BTW This lovely jem will run ya $21.50 with core at the same pull-a-part.

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I cut off the radiator brackets, flipped em and welded them back on. I ended up with almost and inch of clearance at the waterpump pulley and about the same between the fan and the radiator.

I used a starter selenoid (cause I had one) to handle the power with a 10 amp switch at the dash to control it. When those high clearance issues let up I may consider the Bosch relay mentioned here
http://www.pirate4x4.com:81/forum/showthread.php?t=242538&highlight=taurus

I'm only using the high speed setting for now. It cools really well around town, but I haven't given it a good floggin yet.I eventually would like to wire in a temp switch and the ability to control the fan manually for water crossings. Of course if there's no problems I may leave just it, time will tell

I also plan to close of the gap on the top and bottom of the grill between the fan and the radiator with a some lexan or something to futher increase the shrouding abilities of the grill.

Oh yeah I put some squirell cage mesh in front of the fan to keep those pesky branches out and protect the fan a bit. Prolly gonna paint that black soon.

Enjoy, Discuss, Flame Away :flipoff2:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Kinda ghetto, but I guess it'll work.. You ought to get the space between fan and radiator shrouded better, and I don't know if the starter solenoid is good for continuous duty.... Might work, though...

Two words on how your problem might have come about in the first place: "flex fan!"

(And don't ditch that CJ rad.. All it needs is a recore...)

·
Registered
162 Posts
don't waste your money on the Bosch, and yes the starter solenoid may give out unless you shelled out the big bucks for a continuous duty one...

I read all the writeups and did all the math for the initial startup, but rather than dropping a lot of cash on the relays and solenoids and diodes, I threw in a standard 30 amp automotive relay ($6) just to see what it would do, and I've been rolling with it for about 6 months now. No problems at all. And let's just say it does eventually blow the relay... I'll throw another $6 at it and keep on rollin'.

Just something to think about before buying that Bosch.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I've been using a starter relay for a while now, I don't worry about it going out. My rig is also trail only, if I drove it everyday things might be different.

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LilRocky said:
Kinda ghetto, but I guess it'll work.. You ought to get the space between fan and radiator shrouded better, and I don't know if the starter solenoid is good for continuous duty.... Might work, though...

Two words on how your problem might have come about in the first place: "flex fan!"

(And don't ditch that CJ rad.. All it needs is a recore...)

I know it's ghetto...It's also cheap...and the grill area became one big shroud...

Why would I recore the radiator when I can just go grab another one from the pull-a-part for less? Guess I'm just a cheap bastard :flipoff2:

I dunno if it was the flex fan that cause the flange to come of of the waterpump shaft but I don't have to worry about it anymore now... :D

Thanks for the relay and selenoid info. I'll let you know if this one ever quits. If it does I was reading about the RV selenoids that I could just swap right in.

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I figured I'd post up as I got some floggin in...

Put about 250 miles on it over the weekend on the highway and in town with minimal traffic, I did not even need to run the fan. I believe the larger capacity radiator is helping a bit there.

I flogged it pretty good at my friends property in between those highway miles...even ran it til it overheated and the fan brought the temps back under control in no time. Not quite used to the fan on a switch yet. :shaking:

No issues with the selenoid as of yet, but as I said didnt really need to run the fan in light traffic. Maybe when summer comes the fan will need to be run more often. Time will tell.

On another note, these fans are sturdy as fawk...any sticks that could fit through the squirrel cage was chopped up nicely by the fan.... :flipoff2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts