Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got the VSS all figured out, down to two last things before I can start the engine up. First off, some info that may be helpful: the motor is a 87 305 TBI and a 700R4. I'm using a Painless wiring harness.

I really don't understand how to hook up the "park/neutral selector switch, I'm not even sure if I have one! Maybe thats another part I need to order.

And then the brake switch, there's one single purple wire thats supposed to be connected to the switch, but the directions are kinda vague. I have a GM brake switch that is a leftover part from a previous 700R4 lock up bypass kit I installed, but it looks a bit diffrent than the one in the Painless manual. I'd like to use the switch in the FJ60, but the manual says somthing about most switches being different than what I need, but I don't know what the hell they are talking about. Suggestions?

If needed, I will call Painless tomorrow. But I know there are a handful of you guys that have already been through this, so i thought I'd ask. Thanks,

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
P N switch on GM's is on the base of the column, again be hard to adapt since it works off a tab on the column.
The purple wire should just need + voltage when you tap the brake. Should not be hard to locate a wire that will suffice.
Butch

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I used the painless harness on my 350 TBI FJ60. I left all of those wires unhooked. Taped them up and put them under the dash. I ran a manual tranny h55f and Ranger Underdrive in my conversion so I didn't need those wires. I guess you might have a problem with it if your Eprom is for an automatic. So maybe this info is of little use to you?

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if I can get this park/neutral switch from NAPA instead of ordering another expensive needed part from Painless? I know what you're talking about now Butch, it's like a half circle looking switch inside the column. But it'll have to be some type of switch that is not activated by the shifter moving. Wait, brain storm........Maybe my B&M shifter is equiped with this feature! Gonna go read the manual!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Somewhere I saw a pic of a P/N switch that could be added by brackets to the outside of the tranny pan...try here

Looking at the wiring diagram for the '747 ecm it seems that the brake switch is a Normally Closed switch. 12V from the ECM/IGN fuse, normally closed except when stepping on the brake. I think any switch would work, although there might be one in the donor vehicle. Also I am not sure if the donor came with cruise control, but there is a electronic/vacuum switch needed for that if you want to install it at some point in time so you might want to install it now, when you are adding the other switch.

-Brett

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I just talked with Painless, they sell a relay switch that I can plug into and then thats done. And as for the brakes, they say their switch is differnt and I have to use it, otherwise the Toyota switch will cause the lock-up funtion to not work correct (I still don't get it!) But the GM brake switch by painless that I already have will work, so I'll just hook it up and see.

I do have that vacuum switch for the cruiser control, but I don't need it.

May get this thing started by tonight! Vrrmmm Vrrmmmm;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts