Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I think I've done it. I've exceeded the limits of the Toyota transfer case.

This is the same case that has survived four broken mainshafts thus far, and has a 4.7 gearset and a few other goodies.

Yesterday, it developed a horrific crunching/clunking noise, as I was pushing snow at about the level of the front frame horns. (wheeling, not plowing)

I found a couple issues... not sure how well they'll show up, but look closely at the back of the reduction housing area, just below the front drive offset housing. Also, one of the low case-half bolts... there's some aluminum showing there, that doesn't appear to be in its standard location.

I haven't gotten the case out of the truck yet, so I don't know if the 4.7 gearset survived, or if it's trash. :(

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
:( :( I think I'm headed down the same road as you, but I don't want to deal with this crap. What to do, what to do??

What are you thinking about upgrading to??

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
To be honest, I don't think this is a primarily-torque-related break.

I found that my front driveshaft slip yoke is pretty well toast--it doesn't want to slip at all.

My body flaps around a bit inside my cage; my transfer case is pushed into the bottom of the body.

I think this is a combo break of external shock loading from the body bouncing around, and possibly a compression break of the front driveshaft refusing to compress. Looking at the break some more (still haven't got it out of the truck) it looks more like that, than torque related.

Realistically, assuming I can salvage the 4.7 and the AP mainshaft, I'm going to re-house the thing, and sling it back into service. If I can't salvage the guts, I'll be torn as to whether to go Atlas, D300, or what. I need at least as much gear as I have now. I was *not* on it terribly hard at any point the day I broke it... but I was bajaing pretty fast in places, and yanking hard on a couple guys, and also plowed the right front wheel into a rock pretty hard.

Edit: Just to toss more problem into the mix... my next chassis doesn't have the room inside for much bigger of a case. I'm really hoping that with better mounting, a little less weight, and no more body banging around on it, I can make it live.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.