Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I have some Volvo portal questions for those of you who have rebuilt a set:

There's a metal clip on the locker acutator in side the housing. I believe it's a sort of retainer, not sure. Does it rest above or below the axle shaft? I'm thinking below the axle, I pulled the shafts and diffs a little hastily.

Who sells a cable actuator kit? I have one functioning vacuum actuator and am going to make another one (it fell apart in shipping, only have the bottom piece and the rubber diaphram.)

How does one go about replacing the cv boots per the manual? I'm thinking I need to take the reduction box apart and go in from the knuckle?

How often do you guys change the reduction box lube? I was thinking about 6K miles?

Any idea where to get the rubber cv boots? Or ANY one who deals with these axles? I bought my set from Vince Sweeney, Alan is trying to source some more. the people at extremeaxle haven't exactly wanted my buisiness. Ron of Team Purple fame has been helpful (sorry for introducing myself) and hopes to have some boot availble, but I'm wondering about other parts as well.

Jare or any of the scandinavian contingent have some scanned copies of the factory manual? (or have a manual for sale?)

Thanks for any info! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
I know the cv boots coasts around $90 each. You can buy the boots from local Volvo truck dealers in Sweden or from Altyco parts in Sweden.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jbt said:
I know the cv boots coasts around $90 each. You can buy the boots from local Volvo truck dealers in Sweden or from Altyco parts in Sweden.
Here in the states those guys have been less than helpful. "What's this for? what's a C303?"

I'm going to wait for ORGS and their new boots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Pop the actuator off and you will see the shift fork. attatch cable, now you are cable actuated. No kit per se.

extremeaxle said he had boots. personally I would just call sweeden, most sweeds speak english. If you get the PN post it.

Regards,

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
evilfij said:

extremeaxle said he had boots. personally I would just call sweeden, most sweeds speak english. If you get the PN post it.

Ron

PN 1563012

I've got one "good" boot. If Ron's are thicker stronger design, for $10-15 more (quoted at time) it'll be worth it. For the time being, they still being worked on, so I've got time. :D Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
GreenPig said:
How does one go about replacing the cv boots per the manual? I'm thinking I need to take the reduction box apart and go in from the knuckle?

How often do you guys change the reduction box lube? I was thinking about 6K miles?

Any idea where to get the rubber cv boots? Or ANY one who deals with these axles? I bought my set from Vince Sweeney, Alan is trying to source some more. the people at extremeaxle haven't exactly wanted my buisiness. Ron of Team Purple fame has been helpful (sorry for introducing myself) and hopes to have some boot availble, but I'm wondering about other parts as well.

Jare or any of the scandinavian contingent have some scanned copies of the factory manual? (or have a manual for sale?)

Thanks for any info! :D
Howdy.

I don't have any scans from my owners manual....sorry.

And about the boots, i think the best way is to contact Altyco Off Road parts or Fjärås Bildemontering (do some search you may find something from the net). I don't remember that how they come of..... if I remember it right, the portal side where the birf is is the one that is tight. Should come of with couple of wide screw drivers.

Jare
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: More Volvo Axle questions

Jare said:


Howdy.

I don't have any scans from my owners manual....sorry.

And about the boots, i think the best way is to contact Altyco Off Road parts or Fjärås Bildemontering (do some search you may find something from the net). I don't remember that how they come of..... if I remember it right, the portal side where the birf is is the one that is tight. Should come of with couple of wide screw drivers.

Jare
How about the locker actuator clip?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: More Volvo Axle questions

evilfij said:

15 minutes of fame-petersons
Nice seeing John Putnins (Rover Addiction) and Vince's C303 (Real4x4.com) in this months peterson's 4 wheel.

The volvo portal artical was suprisingly good.
Ron
Sorry I kiped this thread, but it sent me searching for a march issue.

For anyone interested, this post and Petersen's answered pretty much all my questions, and has an (unlabeled) exploded diagram of the rear axle portal boxes. The spring clips on the actuators do go below the axle.

Now if I only had torque specs! :)

Thanks!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top