Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got mine and they are sweet.... wondering who is running them and how many have snapped...? and camo...dont know a ton about gun drilling but can you do that after the fact or do you have to have them re hardened?

Mike-

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
depends on how they were hardened. If they were hearden all the way through you are going to have to anneal them other wise you will never drill through them.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
can they be drilled after heat treat ? i don't know if it is possible but the gun driller sandy uses will not do it.

also i don't think you can save much weight on a 35 spline shaft. it really starts to be a benifit on 40 spline and larger stuff. at least on axles.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Gun drilling is done by custom shaft shops before heat treating... you'd eat cutting bits if it wasn't. I suppose you can anneal them, drill them ,and re-harden them... if you REALLY want gun-drilled shafts. :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Is that a 60 shaft? If so, I am EXTREMELY eager to get a long-term report on one of their new ones.

Those ears seem awfully skinny. More so than a stock shaft, at least.

J. J.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can't tell from the pic of the Moser shaft, but will full-circle snap-rings fit inside there?

I've been thinking of Moser front and rear shafts for my K30 and CTM's also. But the CTM's won't do me any good if the Mosers won't accept full-circles. Unless I have someone machine the tabs to fit them......:rolleyes:

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
You can probably do it but you can not go with a very big hole, probably 9/16" at the largest, strengthwise you probably dont want to go any larger with a 35 spline shaft. Moser most likely induction hardens those shafts, so the core should be soft, you could probably gun-drill as long as your not cutting through the hardened case, the case depth is probably not any deeper than 3/8".

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
comparision.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about gun drilling it all for weight and cool factor but sounds like I should have thought ahead and had Moser do it... My rock pile claimed a 60 ujoint last night so im looking forward to getting ctms in those babies.. full clips will be fine with mabye a tiny bit of clearencing

Attachments

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Camo are you running ctm's or a sandy cone super whammy joint?
Mike-

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been running the mosers for 3 months with no problems. Ran St. George. I have a Shannon Campbell kind of skinny pedal not quiet as bad as Chris D. Before the moser's I trashed a inner and outer and detroit all in the same 2 seconds. a full clip will not fit without mods.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Goat:
I thought induction hardening was all the way through and case harding was, well just an outer case?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
BnTMike said:
I was thinking about gun drilling it all for weight and cool factor but sounds like I should have thought ahead and had Moser do it... My rock pile claimed a 60 ujoint last night so im looking forward to getting ctms in those babies.. full clips will be fine with mabye a tiny bit of clearencing
You can tell in the pic that you posted that the ears are not hardened on that shaft. Does that mean that they are no stronger than a Spicer shaft? Because I don't have problems breaking the actual shaft, it's the ears that go first.

J. J.

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
patooyee said:

You can tell in the pic that you posted that the ears are not hardened on that shaft. Does that mean that they are no stronger than a Spicer shaft? Because I don't have problems breaking the actual shaft, it's the ears that go first.

J. J.
You got it. That is the problem with the oem shafts, they are induction hardened too, so the ears are soft, that is where most people have problems with them. That is why the Warns are soo much better than the Mosers on the 44 shafts, warn makes them out of a better alloy and thru hardenens them so the ears are hard.

Induction hardening is a case hardening process, as is carberizing, nitriding, etc.... Thru hardening is a different process and requires you to use a good alloy like 4340, 300M, 8620 etc... Induction hardening allows you to use crap material like 1050 or the 1541 that moser uses, all comes down to $$$.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
What is the price of their alloy shaft compared to their normal 60 shafts? And how the heck do you tell the difference, because that sure looks like the shaft I just got from Moser...

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
drm.

i am 90% sure they only make one shaft. they call it an alloy shaft because in fact it is. it just happens to be an alloy that is only marginally better than OEM. so they market it as an alloy shaft trying to lead people to belive it is an alloy shaft on par with a warn.

so their alloy shaft is their normal shaft as far as i recall when i resherched it 6 month ago. if anybody has more recent or diffrent info lets hear it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts