Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a double d-shaft setup on my front end similar to most buggies with a flat belly. There isn't anything real special about it, it's pretty standard as far as double d-shaft setups go. However, the issue I've been having recently is that after I've flogged the hell out of the buggy on a ride the shaft starts to ease out of the pillow block. It has the two allen head screws that form a point and basically pinch down on the shaft to "lock" it into place. The holes are located at about 10 and 2. I always check them before a ride and lock tite them as well. When the shaft starts to slip out the allen screws still seem tight. I'm thinking they just can't handle what I'm dishing out. Anyhow, I might just tack weld the damn collar to the shaft but thought I'd ask her first since this type of pillow block is pretty common.

Oh, and if the shaft comes out of the collar it's not the end of the world it just gets real sloppy and is a PITA to put back especially on the trail.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
This would take a little time to get lined up but i would find out where the allens are hitting and take a small bit and drill little dimples in the collar that way the allens are counter sunk into the bearing collar and as long as they are kept tight they coulding slide either way?
Why do you have a slip yoke on both sides of the carrier bearing? Are you still running rubber motor and tranny mounts and need the slip for drivetrain movement?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I concur with the dimple drilling of the driveshaft but I would also suggest that you replace the setscrews with longer ones of the same thread and back them up with nylock nuts.
Add some red (or purple) locktite and they are not going anywhere...

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I don't get it ... if yu have slips on both shafts there shouldn't be any forces that would cause the shaft to walk out. Possibly one of the slips is froze up??? Seems like there is something wrong going on ... I have two set screws on mine liek you say you have on yours and they have never onced walked like you describe after almost two years of flogging it like a red-headed step child. I've never once had to tighten them.

J. J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts