Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a sb chevy in a 71 chevy pu, my question is when I secure the mounts to the bracket (crossbar), all I can see that is needed is a bolt with a washer large enough to keep the bolt head from going through the bracket to the motor mount, should there be something in between? it seems there is a lot of play between the diameter of the bolt and the hole on the bracket.

My next ques is...I put a hei distributor on this motor and it seems to be touching the firewall?? 71 chevy pu...do I need to cut out a section of the firewall to clear this dist? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
The distributor should not be touching the firewall once u push up the trans into position. If it does you can bolt the x-member into the next set of forward holes in the frame rail. However it will move the whole drivetrain forward I think about 3.5 inches, which will help your cooling. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Just bolt the motor mount to the crossmember. The hole is oversized to allow for a little adjustment.
The dist. should fit without any mods. Make sure your trans mount is good. I had a 70 C10 with a 4 speed that I put a 350 in. I had no problems with HEI dist. clearance.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
In the '67 - '72 era GM trucks, the engine mounts farther back in the chassis on 4WD trucks than it does on 2WD trucks. Inline 6s also mount in the back position, so even on a 2WD truck, the motor will be farther back when a V-8 is swapped in without changing the towers. This means that an HEI will fit easily in a 2WD truck, but it is tight in a 4X4. I had one in my '70 Blazer for a while, and it was very tight to the firewall, but it did not hit. If you had a bad motor or tranny mount, or if you really twisted the truck up wheeling, it could easily let the engine move enough so that the HEI would hit the firewall. I went to a MSD small-body HEI for this reason. Some people just clearance the firewall with a sledge hammer to make more room. Note that the heater box mounts to the firewall inside the truck just behind the distributor, so if you go with the sledgehammer you need to be careful that you do not screw that up.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Black Dog said:
In the '67 - '72 era GM trucks, the engine mounts farther back in the chassis on 4WD trucks than it does on 2WD trucks. Inline 6s also mount in the back position, so even on a 2WD truck, the motor will be farther back when a V-8 is swapped in without changing the towers. This means that an HEI will fit easily in a 2WD truck, but it is tight in a 4X4.
Mine had the 250 cube 6 cyl in it when I bought it. I swapped in the 350 and used the original towers. I had no problems. Just changing the towers won't change the position of the motor. It still has to bolt up to the tranny. I know my tranny was swapped before I got the truck ( it had a 3 on the tree). But they wouldn't have had to relocate the motor to do it. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts